Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Front Lower Tie Bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Lower Tie Bar

So yeah my question is, is this a good thing to put on? I hear it's pretty harmful to the steering. Should i just stick to getting better sway bars from an Si or something? Let me hear some thoughts on this.
Thanks..
Old 07-08-2002, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Tie Bar (hatchback97)

well i put one on a 93 hatch and the driver of the car said it didn't do anything at all. so as far as i can tell they are a wast of $
get the swaybars
Old 07-08-2002, 11:49 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're supposed to give rigidity to your chassis but I doubt you would notice the difference. IMO swaybars would be more important if you do not currently have them already.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had one for awhile and noticed that it was harder to make fast turns on the highway so i took mine off and gave it to a buddy. from what i hear and was told, front wheel drive cars shouldn't have those if you want to road race or auto cross. the rear however, should be solid. so try getting rear sways, rear tie bar and rear strut bars.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Tie Bar (shermanyang)

Got a noname one Last year. It was awesome. Made a real noticable difference. The front stays planted and I didn't even realize how sloppy the front was till I got it. If you get any bar at all this should be at the top of the list. Only one that really does make a change in the handling. The one I have triangulates the whole front end.

Only problem is no one sees it and how cool it looks.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Front Lower Tie Bar (turboman)

The one I have triangulates the whole front end.
What are the mounting points? Most of the ones I've seen just connect the left to the right with one bolt on each side (Cusco, Benen)

Old 07-08-2002, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Tie Bar (RokketRide)

Isn't there one from Cusco that mounts to 3 different points, and it's flat for added clearance? I'm not sure what cars it's made for, but it looks really solid. For the front, I just added a front lower bar, but it goes over cat, comes stock on 94-up Integras, and all 92-95 Civics have the holes pre drilled from the factory. Made a noticeable difference in handling, but most importantly stability.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Tie Bar (RokketRide)

Like I said it was a noname but looked real solid. I had it for 3-4 months before installing it. I wish I knew who I got it from because I would really recomend it to everyone. It connects at the front just like the nuespeed but then has two bars that go back and connect to the firewall.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Front Lower Tie Bar (shermanyang)

i had one for awhile and noticed that it was harder to make fast turns on the highway so i took mine off and gave it to a buddy. from what i hear and was told, front wheel drive cars shouldn't have those if you want to road race or auto cross. the rear however, should be solid. so try getting rear sways, rear tie bar and rear strut bars.
TIE bars and STRUT bars do nothing but stiffen the chassis around the suspension pivot or load points. They serve the same purpose as a cage, except the cage adds saftey with the benfit of strengthening the chassis lengthwise and corner to corner. Most solid cage designs have strut bars incorporated into them.

That being said, I would want the springs on my shocks to control my handling, not flex in the chassis. Now weather or not you need lower tie bars is up to you, but they definetley cant hurt.

And if you think adding one takes away traction, then your car has other problems that need to be addressed or adjusted.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Tie Bar (tonyxcom)

Sorry...let me correct myself. i meant front front sway bars. if your'e gonna autocrossing or want the best traction for a front wheel drive car get this for your front setup:

soft springs, small (or no) sway bar, shocks w/ stiff compression and soft rebound. this will keep your front wheels planted. and i guess the front lower tie bar may help.