Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Front lower control arm question. UPDATE Do you guys use lube or loctite on bolts??? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/front-lower-control-arm-question-update-do-you-guys-use-lube-loctite-bolts-2569047/)

driveslow 05-14-2009 11:02 AM

Front lower control arm question. UPDATE Do you guys use lube or loctite on bolts???

OK, so I have now removed, replaced bushings and I am about to throw the lca back on the car. I was wondering If I need to use grease, lube or loctite when putting back the bolts????

Also, The helms states to use silicone grease on the bushings. Can I use white lithium grease? And where do you apply the grease,all over the rubber parts?

TatDc5 05-14-2009 11:08 AM

Re: Front lower control arm question. Do you have to remove axle???

you shouldnt have to, it might make it easier in the long run if you're doing more then just the lower control arms.

but you can pull them out without removing the axels.

good luck!

driveslow 05-14-2009 11:13 AM

ok, I was just sitting at working lookig for a good diy. I am starting to really get into repairs on this thing. What is the best manual to pick up, chiltons?

instructor74 05-14-2009 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by driveslow (Post 38534664)
ok, I was just sitting at working lookig for a good diy. I am starting to really get into repairs on this thing. What is the best manual to pick up, chiltons?

Helms= factory manual

TatDc5 05-14-2009 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by instructor74 (Post 38534687)
Helms= factory manual

x2

driveslow 05-14-2009 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by instructor74 (Post 38534687)
Helms= factory manual

I wonder if i can fiind a helms in pdf soft copy.

driveslow 05-14-2009 11:20 AM

Re: Front lower control arm question. UPDATE. I got the front lca's out. But now...

i guess so. hehe

http://www.spoonertuner.com/manuals?Cat=119

Actually, this is the one i have. It doesnt really give you step by step, just the basics. Im sure it would hurt to have a softcopy of the haynes manual also.

driveslow 05-14-2009 07:56 PM

Re: Front lower control arm question. UPDATE Got the arms out. Now next question....

Ok, I got out the front lower control arms. I am wanting to fab up a bushing extractor and was wondering if the bushings were tapered. Can you just extract these in either direction? This is what I want to try. But not sure if its just for rubber bushings only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ5FkOoT5QE

instructor74 05-15-2009 04:07 AM

Re: Front lower control arm question. UPDATE Got the arms out. Now next question....

you will need to press or burn out the rubber bushing and then remove the steel shell from inside your control arm. I dont know about a tool like that I have always used a 50 ton press to get them out and it is still a lot of work.

1992Si 05-15-2009 05:30 AM

Your much better off taking the arms and new bushing to a machine shop and pay the man.

91 luder 05-15-2009 05:34 AM

that seems like it works fine. theres so many different ways to get them out. but that vid proves how easy it really is. i use a set up with my air gun that pulls the bushing out just like that but with a push of a button

driveslow 05-15-2009 02:33 PM

Re: Front lower control arm question. UPDATE Do you guys use lube or loctite on bolts

bump

I change my original post. Almost done guys. Def. learning a lot.

B serious 05-15-2009 02:41 PM

Re: Front lower control arm question. UPDATE Do you guys use lube or loctite on bolts

Don't forget to clock those bushings when you put them back in (if they're rubber).

driveslow 05-15-2009 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by B serious (Post 38550455)
Don't forget to clock those bushings when you put them back in (if they're rubber).

what are you talking about? for the front lca's?
do you mean rear trailing arm bushings?

B serious 05-15-2009 03:05 PM

No. You clock any non floating bushing or it will tear much sooner than it should.

Clocking just means tightening down at ride height so that it will not over stretch. I did a writeup on another forum. If you need, I can paste a link.

driveslow 05-15-2009 03:09 PM

Sure I will take a look and yes I will tighten the bolts with the car on the ground.

The helms states to use silicone grease on the bushings. Can I use white lithium grease? And where do you apply the grease,all over the rubber parts?

B serious 05-15-2009 03:11 PM

silicone grease is used to keep rubber soft. Lithium grease may not be great for rubber parts...but I'm not sure.

First post is the procedure.
Pictures and explanation at the second to last post.

http://www.redline9.com/honda/thread...html#pid102022

driveslow 05-15-2009 03:13 PM

Anything specific I should buy? Do they just carry something called,"silicone grease" at the auto store? Where do you apply it on the bushing, just all over?

Thanks for the link

B serious 05-15-2009 03:19 PM

you can buy either the grease or the spray. I'd guess the grease is for actually pushing the bushing into the sleeve. You don't want grease sitting on the bushing since it will trap dirt and salt.

I spray the rubber parts of my chassis (axle boots, bushings, etc.) once every few months with silicone spray. if you're doing axle boots, make sure to wipe them off with a wet rag first and then wipe the spray into the rubber with a dry rag later. This is not really nessecary. I just hate repairing stuff. I'd rather maintain it.

I put anti sieze on my bolts all the way up to where they sit in the bushing sleeve. I don't over tighten them either. So when I need them to come apart, they come apart very easily.

driveslow 05-15-2009 03:25 PM

Good info. time to go pick up anti sieze and silicone spray. Do you have a specific brand you use for both?

B serious 05-15-2009 05:41 PM

No specific brand. It's all the same.

frenchyaz 11-03-2016 03:33 AM

Only silicone grease should be applied to bushings, other greases will eat up the rubber. Also never grease the bolts, they will change the torque, use loctite blue instead. At least this is what I was told.