Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Manual says to apply silicone grease to LCA bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Icon2 Manual says to apply silicone grease to LCA bushings?

I just installed new rubber bushings in my front lower control arms and while reading the service manual I noticed it says to apply silicone grease to the rubber bushings. My question is; are you supposed to apply silicone grease directly on the rubber part of the bushings or are they saying to apply silicone grease to the bolts to prevent them from rusting inside the bushings? I used anti-seize lubricant on the bolts and I trust that it will do the job but if silicone grease should be used on the rubber part of the bushing then I will do that as well. Here's a picture from the service manual that shows what I'm talking about:
Old 02-23-2013, 11:51 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Manual says to apply silicone grease to LCA bushings?

Any reason why the manual would lie to you?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Read. I asked if they want the silicone grease to be applied to the rubber part of the control arm bushing or on the bolts which go through the lower control arm bushings. I didn't question whether or not the service manual is right.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 PM
The Grumpiest

Maybe YOU need to read. The arrows are pointing to "stabilizer end RUBBER BUSHINGS"!! As in RUBBER. It doesn't say "BOLTS". Everywhere there are rubber bushings there are arrows pointing to "RUBBER BUSHINGS". Not "BOLTS". In all cases it says plainly "Silicone grease". Put it together. Apply "SILICONE GREASE" to "RUBBER BUSHINGS". NOT BOLTS!!! Otherwise there would be arrows pointing to every bolt in that diagram.

Why you're making this harder than it is I don't know.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 02-23-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I need to read? You mean I need to LOOK if you are saying the information I need is on a diagram where arrows are pointing to rubber bushings...it doesn't say anywhere exactly where to put the grease. They could mean to apply the grease to the bolt to prevent seizing, they could mean to apply the grease to the outside of the bushing when it gets pressed in the LCA or they could mean to apply it directly to the rubber. The point is that there is nothing rubbing against the rubber to make it obvious that silicone grease needs to be applied in that area. The rubber only flexes when the suspension moves up or down and I wasn't sure if that would be reason enough to have grease on it. I asked a simple question and all you had to do was answer it or just ignore it and let someone else who is actually interested in helping people answer it.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 AM
The Grumpiest

Nope. I meant read. There are words all over that diagram. I'm sorry you're finding a simple diagram to be so difficult. Seems pretty simple to me. Arrows point to rubber bushings with a little graphic labelled "silicone grease".

Normally I would tell people to get a manual but you have the info in front of you and are confusing yourself. Why do you INSIST on complicating things?

I'll rephrase. Put silicone grease where the arrows are pointing to. This is the second time I've answered your question.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Marc, chill dude. That manual is honestly confusing. It really doesn't make any sense to grease the rubber bushings themselves.

I *think* the idea was to grease the ends of the metal tubes that run through the bushings to keep them from squeaking where the suspension travels. I really isn't explained very clearly IMO.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 AM
The Grumpiest

Sorry. It was abundantly clear to me. I am genuinely confused as to why this diagram seems to be so difficult to read. If you can put your finger on it, put lube on everything the diagram is pointing to.

Time to take a break I guess.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:26 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread but Yes! Problem with rubber bushing is that they dry and break easily when dry. Silicone grease helps to keep them from drying out. Unfortunately, grease catches dust... guess you can't have everything.