Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings?

My front passenger side bushing recently went out and i read about replacing them with polyurethane bushings. but theres not too much i could find about them. does anyone know a little more about them? and i also read about this site:
http://www.suspension.com/civic.htm polyurethane
but when i went there i dont even know which set of bushings to buy. heres an image of the bushings thats are bad on my front lower control arm.

i was also wondering how on earth could i get these bushings out? they look as if they're stuck into the control arm and that it'd be impossible to get them out or to swap them with polyurethane ones.

-thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (wlee112)

Burn it. Then remove it. Cut the metal selve. Or if you have access to a 20 ton press. It can be your new best friend.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (kaiba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Burn it. Then remove it. Cut the metal selve. Or if you have access to a 20 ton press. It can be your new best friend. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Its a lot of work but well worth the end result. Check out energy suspension they make a lot of master kits that contain all the bushings you need for the car. Just don't use the ball joint or tie road boots they are to stiff and let water and dirt in.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Its a lot of work but well worth the end result. Check out energy suspension they make a lot of master kits that contain all the bushings you need for the car. Just don't use the ball joint or tie road boots they are to stiff and let water and dirt in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

energy suspension i have access to a press, but not a car to run between it and my car, so i still have stock bushings
Old 05-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (wlee112)

Ive got Energy Suspension's kit on my 93 Eg, front and rear. I love it! What I did was took my suspension apart, and took all of the control arms to a shop and had them remove the bushings for me. They charged me $30 to remove all of the bushings. Then I went home, got out the cup of grease that came with the energy suspension kit, and started installing them. If you are not familiar with using a press, then I suggest going the route I did, you dont want to end up with a cracked control arm! Putting them in is pretty straight forward and easy though. Hope this was helpful!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (kaiba)

so im thinking of getting the front control arm bushings:
FRONT END CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS/
REAR END CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS/

what do the shock bushing sets do?

should i get an oem trailing arm bushing? or a energy suspension trailing arm bushing then what difference will this give??

does it really matter if i get polyurethane bushings vs oem rubber bushings?

Old 05-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

me and a friend did my entire 92 hatch in 13 hrs. All bushing pressed out with a manual 2 ton press. took patience but well worth it.

as far as rear trailing arms. are you daily driving or racing? I'd go with the mugen or oem. The energy are suppose to cause binding in the rear but i have yet to feel that problem. If ur racing, go for the spherical bushing but check with the rulebook first to see whats allowed.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (dohcdelsol)

or you can get the new omnipoewr front lca's that are lighter
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (JJWasJustBanned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JJWasJustBanned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or you can get the new omnipoewr front lca's that are lighter</TD></TR></TABLE>

And they cost a ******* mint for what they are.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (JJWasJustBanned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JJWasJustBanned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or you can get the new omnipoewr front lca's that are lighter</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the difference between someone who wants to do it themselves and expand their knowledge. or just buy the part and slap it on.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:32 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (dohcdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats the difference between someone who wants to do it themselves and expand their knowledge. or just buy the part and slap it on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously. $42 for the Energy Suspension bushings for the front arms ....

or $350 for the Omni arms.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (Eran)

And do you take them to a machine shop to have the bushings pressed out? My buddy works at a co. that makes race springs, i wonder if he could do this...
Old 05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And do you take them to a machine shop to have the bushings pressed out? My buddy works at a co. that makes race springs, i wonder if he could do this...</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can. and that would make it the easiest. but if its your only way of transportion, that wont work. i used a cheap 100 press that my buddy had sitting around for a while collecting dust.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:55 PM

for the rear of my road race car i machined down some steel stock dirlled a hole and welded it to the lca's damn it was cheap and it owrked awesome

driving your race car to work and fabrication parts for it during lunch/when the equipment isnt used FTW
Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">me and a friend did my entire 92 hatch in 13 hrs. All bushing pressed out with a manual 2 ton press. took patience but well worth it.

as far as rear trailing arms. are you daily driving or racing? I'd go with the mugen or oem. The energy are suppose to cause binding in the rear but i have yet to feel that problem. If ur racing, go for the spherical bushing but check with the rulebook first to see whats allowed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you mean binding in the rear? i bough just about that whole kit for enegry suspension. which bushings will i have to take to a shop to press out? cuase i want to put as many in by my self as i can. and once they press it out which ones will they also to press in?

ps. this is my daily driver with my occasional "stiffen up the springs" mountain driving

Modified by wlee112 at 10:06 PM 5/16/2007
Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com
Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

under hard load the trailing arm bushings from ES will bind causing you to loose control
Old 05-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (highrev1987)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">under hard load the trailing arm bushings from ES will bind causing you to loose control </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you had experience with ES rears binding? I just installed my rears (red). Car will be hung up for another month.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (EKFerioHawaii)

my friend tracks his ef and he has, trust me and switch to mugens or stock
Old 05-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (highrev1987)

http://www.elephantracing.com/...g.htm

read this
Old 05-17-2007, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.elephantracing.com/...g.htm

read this </TD></TR></TABLE>
Nice article a lot of good info if you know what is being talked about<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wlee112 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what do you mean binding in the rear? i bough just about that whole kit for energy suspension. which bushings will i have to take to a shop to press out? cause i want to put as many in by my self as i can. and once they press it out which ones will they also to press in?

ps. this is my daily driver with my occasional "stiffen up the springs" mountain driving

Modified by wlee112 at 10:06 PM 5/16/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't worry about the binding the kit doesn't come with the bushing that causes the binding. If that bushing needs replaced ( the large trailing arm bushing) just get an OEM bushing, there about $50 each and unless you have a bushing removal tool for doing them on the car its 4 or 5 hours worth of work to change them. Good luck and don't forget to get the car aligned when your done
Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (instructor74)

AHHHHHHH!!!! lol ******* ******* lol ok ok still doable i'm just going to return the trailing arms!! cause i added those badboys on top of my kit lol i'm gonna call them tomorrow and ask to have them NOT shipped and maybe even a refund. i will though im also not going to put on those BOOTs for the front suspension someone told me those are too stiff too. thanks for the great tips though guys. i have a guy i know at honda who might help me out if he has time but i want to do it myself. but i know its super hard and i need a hydrolic press.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:40 PM

metal sleeve instead of polyurathane FTW unless its a daily driver
Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">under hard load the trailing arm bushings from ES will bind causing you to loose control </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, the more and more I see about aftermarket bushings, the more and more problems I see
Old 05-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings? (Team RS2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">metal sleeve instead of polyurathane FTW unless its a daily driver </TD></TR></TABLE>

this may be a dumb question... but what is FTW? it is a daily driver though. are oem bushings better than aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Front Lower Control Arm Bushing needs to be replaced, polyurethane bushings?