Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

front lower control arm on 96 hatch

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front lower control arm on 96 hatch

im replacing my old one with a ex/si so i can install the front sway bar. do i use my old bolts/nuts or do i have to get it from the ex/si one along with the front lower control arm?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: front lower control arm on 96 hatch (see vick)

by the looks of your question, it seems you havent put much research into this. so before a buncha people start flaming you, let me set you in the right direction.
first of all, there are 3 different front LCAs on a ek, the cd/dx one, the ex one and the si one. so make up your mind on if you want the 22mm ex bar or the 26mm si bar, because the control arms for ex and si are not the same....unlike what retarded people might tell you (i went through this already on my 98 hatch) so you're better off hearing it from someone who actually did this first hand.(me).

ok, once you chose ex or si, heres a little trick that will save you money and a lot of hassle.... these LCAs were designed as a 2-part arm, one part is a straight rod that holds the ball joints...you can keep your oem one, this will skip the annoyance of the ball joint removal. the second part of the arm is a bent elbow looking rod that holds onto the subframe of the car with those massive bushings, this is also the part of the arm with the sway bar mounting points.
basically you only have to get the elbow part of the arms, the SI ones will be harder to find, whereas the ex ones come dime a dozen at any local junkyards or ebay. i have a 98 hatch with the 22mm ex bar up front and a 22mm progress bar in the rear. oem si tower bar over the motor, and a benen tower bar in the trunk, on eibach sportlines and tokico illuminas. i have retarded handling on stock tires....
for what its worth, if you cant find a Si bar setup, dont stress it, get ex with NA bushings and endlinks, theyll kinda compensate for the other few MMs.
good luck

and to answer your question...you can use your original bolts for the install, but you will need new bolts for the sway bar bushings that bolt up to your subframe, cuz you dont have those now.

also, have fun dropping your exhaust and shift linkage, lol.