Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Front hub swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front hub swap?

Ok , here is the story. I let a redneck help me replace my CV joints cause he said he had done it before many times. In the process he managed to totally annihilate the wheel studs and break the lower ball joint on the side that he did. "i did the other side without this recklessness"
I didn't notice his blunder till it was to late. Anyway, long story short. The wheel studs and the lower ball joint need to be replaced now.

I took the hub off and took it to honda. To replace the wheelstuds and the ball joint you must remove the wheel berring. The ring prevents all the other peices from sliding out "any one who has seen this design has peoblably thought - thats kind of dumb"
Well honda gave me a discount on labor cause i brought in the hub and not the whole car but it is still running me 300$. They are saying that the wheel bering cant be removed without distroying it. this may or maynot be true. Seems like they will not try to get it out they just charge me for a new one before they start working on it.
Now on to my question.
Is there another model Honda maybe a civic that has a hub that is more repair friendly? or - Are they all designed badly like this?
Do any of the hondas hubs have notches for wheelstuds to hammer out? Will it fit on a sol?
Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Front hub swap?

This is not dealer type work in my eyes.

You do not have to remove the wheel bearing to replace the ball joint. It has its own little slip ring at the bottom where it attaches to the control arm. you remove this clip and hammer the crap outta the sob. Then theres a special tool you can rent from advance/autozone to insert the new balljoint in place. Simple.

If I remember correctly... you will need to remove the hub from the wheel bearing to replace the wheel studs.

This CAN be done without destroying the bearing. However. When I removed my bearing from the SPINDLE it didnt survive lol. Take it to a machine shop and have them press the hub out of the bearing, put in your new studs (they hammer out), and press it all back together. They can do it. And for less than $300 i would imagine.

I believe all the spindle designs on these cars are near exactly the same. If you are talking about a civic. I would imagine its the same for a del sol.

Now for the final task... this is a rough one...

go find that redneck and punch him in the dick.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Front hub swap?

A dick punch is defiantly in the mans future.

I wish i thought of the machine shop though. Damn. 3 bills is really hurty for me right now. Alas i have already told honda to go for it too. you live you learn.
Thanks for the reply. I know what to do next time now.
Cheers