Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Front end shaking....(not brakes)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end shaking....(not brakes)

My friend has a 95 ex and lately his front has been shaking pretty bad. He took it to the Honda dealer and they supposedly fixed it, but they didnt. I think they some joint by the axle (forget what its called). Right after he got it back it started again. He took it back to the dealer and they said that everything was fine. He picked up his car the next day and went for a ride with a mechanic and it rode fine. On the way back it started again and it seems to only do it after it is warmed up. They said it could possibly be something with the tranny. It does it constantly, so its not the brakes. If anyone has any idea please tell me. thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Front end shaking....(not brakes) (awalk2005)

tell him
to do a tune up
Old 02-24-2004, 08:02 PM

i had the same problem, it was a slightly bent axle.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it shake only on the highways on a certain MPH? It could be that one of the tires may have an irregular shape causing the vibration. You can't see this with your eye's, you have to spin the tires with your hands and feel it as it pasts over your hands. Any high or low spots indicate a bad tire.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:50 PM

I'm assuming that he's had an allignment done? (Gotta get the simple stuff out of the way first)
Old 02-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front end shaking....(not brakes) (FrostySol)

Jeez. Check the mounts, check the axle, check the wheel bearings, check the tranny. I have the same problem and it is a mount and axle.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front end shaking....(not brakes) (labatia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by labatia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tell him
to do a tune up</TD></TR></TABLE>WHAT THE HELL GOOD IS THAT GOING TO DO? Don't post mis-information.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front end shaking....(not brakes) (FrostySol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FrostySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm assuming that he's had an allignment done? (Gotta get the simple stuff out of the way first)</TD></TR></TABLE>an alignment will cause the car to pull, not shake. You don't need to get this done. Again, with the mis-information.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Front end shaking....(not brakes) (EF9_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF9_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">an alignment will cause the car to pull, not shake. You don't need to get this done. Again, with the mis-information.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by http://www.realpagessites.com/automasters/page3.html &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the alignment. Is your vehicle pulling to one side, or shaking? A bad jolt to your car can throw your front end out of alignment and damage your tires. Have a tire dealer check the alignment periodically to ensure that your car is properly aligned.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the tires get damaged due to a bad alignment then sure they could go off balence and cause shaking. Re-balencing them won't fix the problem, it will just delay it. So checking the alignment isn't a bad idea

Old 02-24-2004, 11:18 PM

I see you're in Illinois... he might have snow build-up in the back of his rims. That always happens to me, especially if I've been slidin' sideways a lot.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having this same problem with my 93 EX. When I'm on the freeway and start nearin 75-80mph...the whole car starts shaking...mainly the front. I've tried different tires and rims up front, and it still happens. I don't know for sure if both sets are correctly ballanced because 1 set came with the car, and the others were given to me with a lot of use on them.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by awalk2005 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend has a 95 ex and lately his front has been shaking pretty bad. He took it to the Honda dealer and they supposedly fixed it, but they didnt. I think they some joint by the axle (forget what its called). Right after he got it back it started again. He took it back to the dealer and they said that everything was fine. He picked up his car the next day and went for a ride with a mechanic and it rode fine. On the way back it started again and it seems to only do it after it is warmed up. They said it could possibly be something with the tranny. It does it constantly, so its not the brakes. If anyone has any idea please tell me. thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

not to common on civic's but I know for sure that 90-93 accords have a similar problem. You should take a look at the inner joint of the axle (both left and right) if it looks like there's no grease inside of them and it is dry, there's your problem. just replace the axles.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:03 PM

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattoien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see you're in Illinois... he might have snow build-up in the back of his rims. That always happens to me, especially if I've been slidin' sideways a lot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lately its been really nice weather here, around 45 degrees (nice for winter), so there isnt a snow build up. We did have some fun when it was snowy tho. lol

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spartanic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does it shake only on the highways on a certain MPH? It could be that one of the tires may have an irregular shape causing the vibration. You can't see this with your eye's, you have to spin the tires with your hands and feel it as it pasts over your hands. Any high or low spots indicate a bad tire.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_rice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the condition of your rims...
especially the inside where you haven't taken a look in awhile... I once had a rear rim that caused me similar problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm..... Ill tell him about both of these. The rims and tires are both really new, probably around 3000mi on them. He said the rims arent the best quality, dont know the brand, but they could be warped. Ill tell him to put the stock wheels on for a day.

Thanks for all the suggestions tho.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:33 PM

it can also be that one of the weights on the wheels fell off.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:48 PM

I'd check the axles too. My bro had this problem when his CV boot went out. It got really bad, actually.