Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

front end noise ej8

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end noise ej8

Whats up HT? Im trying to figure out an issue im having with my 97 ex coupe. I wana make this short but cover as much detail as I can.

So here it goes; My front end mostly towards the driver side is making noise / slightly shaking / vibrating. Driver side door insert is vibrating like crazy once I hit 30mph+. Also can feel vibration at the gas / brake pedals. The noise is the worst problem the front end is LOUD. I feel like its comming from the driver side. The faster you go the more you hear it. Kinda sounds like a flat tire. Not a whistle, no grinding, no knocking or ticking. Its more of a spinning noise like I said kinda sounds like a flat tire. I can possibly take a video but Ill get back to that. Also the only way the noise goes away is if I turn the wheel to the right. Once I put it back straight or turn to the left I get the noise and vibration almost like the tires hitting something everytime it spins.

So I jacked it up and kinda looked around and everything looks okay. Ball joints arent that bad at all, no play in them. My tie rods were shot on both sides but I changed those and still having same problem. Someone mentioned to my could be my axle? Ive changed axles before when they click or boot breaks and the axles look good, also just changed my half-shaft about 4 months ago. Idk. I just tryed doing a tire rotation but still same problems. Also want to mention all my tires / wheels are all same size same wheels good tires.

So any suggestions? Could this possibly be a transmission issue or what? Should I take a video and post it?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: front end noise ej8

Bad wheel bearings will do this exactly and go away when turning but generally make a loud noise
Old 01-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay so I kinda was thinking wheel bearing. Like i said when i turn to the right it goes away and the humming is comming from driver side so should i replace driver side or do i have to do both sides?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No you can just do the one side. It's a pita so limit it to the one. Lol.. Wheel bearing noises go away when turning and hum with speed so I'm guessing I'm dead on with wheel bearing. Fix it asap or it'll tear up the hub or can even lose the wheel.