Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Friends speedometer stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Friends speedometer stuck

My friend just called me w/ a stuck speedo situation - Stuck around 40mph.

The needle stays in the same spot even when the car is shut off...which leads me to think that its just a stuck needle (but its an 04).

If the car is off, a damaged vss or even cluster would still reset to 0 right?

Im going over there around 7:30, just wanted to see if I could get some suggestions before then.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Friends speedometer stuck (pdiggitydogg)

Yeah I'd defiantely think that it's a stuck needle. If he's brave he can open the cluster up and try and slide it back to 0 and see what happens if it's not under warranty. Its already broken.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

should still be under warranty.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well she never was brave at anything...thats why im doing it
Im planning on opening the thing and moving it myself, then drive it.
If its not fixed I would assume its still under warranty, but I wont know until I ask her (and then she looks for how long its supposed to be). I would assume that something like this would be covered regardless...
Old 09-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok update

the needle still moves, its just +40mph
(20=60, 40=80, 80=120 etc)
Old 09-26-2004, 04:44 PM

if it's an '04 then the car should still be under factory warranty. Just take it back to the dealership and have it fixed. Don't even try to do it yourself it u don't know what you're doing.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont know what Im doing....psh

I fixed the mo'fo
It was just stuck...works dandy now.

(I also dont like how soft the clutch was and how smooth it shifted...guess thats what its like to drive a new car)
Old 09-26-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg u y &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it's an '04 then the car should still be under factory warranty. Just take it back to the dealership and have it fixed. Don't even try to do it yourself it u don't know what you're doing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then what's the point of this site? People come on here to learn while others come to share info. A lot of people on here are mechanically inclined and work on their cars themselves. Yeah you should take the car to the dealership if it's under warranty, but if it takes me 10 min to come on here, find out what's wrong, and fix it; why would I leave my car at the dealership for 1/2 to a full day?
Old 09-26-2004, 05:23 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (crashN2u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crashN2u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would I leave my car at the dealership for 1/2 to a full day? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Because it's a BRAND NEW car. That's what the factory warranty is for. People come here mainly for modifying vehicles. Older ones on top of that. I bet that if all the problems that people have with their older cars were still covered by warranty about 80% of the people here would still take their cars in instead of scratching their heads and getting pissed off.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because it's a BRAND NEW car. That's what the factory warranty is for. People come here mainly for modifying vehicles. Older ones on top of that. I bet that if all the problems that people have with their older cars were still covered by warranty about 80% of the people here would still take their cars in instead of scratching their heads and getting pissed off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's true. Let me give you an example so you understand what I meant. My friend(who has 3 kids) just got a new Sentra. He's a n00b when it comes to cars. He doesn't know how to change his oil or spark plugs or anything. He has to make an appointment and set his schedule around it because of his 3 kids. I asked him why he just didn't do it himself. 1)He doesn't know how.2)I guess it was covered by his extended warranty.3)Now that it isn't covered, the price is equal to about the cost of the materials. The thing is that when it was covered by the warranty he had to go out of his way to get his oil changed. He had to leave work early, pick up the kids and go to the dealership.

I know changing the oil is different from a busted speedo, but what I'm comparing is what he had to do to take advantage of the warranty. He would loose a couple of hours out of his day(as well as pay) when all he had to do was learn how to change his oil and he could do it when he had the time. BTW, you're right, if I had a warranty and it wasn't easily fixed I would take it in.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:07 PM
H-T White Ops

I just said that because I recently ripped my dash appart to get the gauge cluster out to rip it appart and it was no fun.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crashN2u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crashN2u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's true. Let me give you an example so you understand what I meant. My friend(who has 3 kids) just got a new Sentra. He's a n00b when it comes to cars. He doesn't know how to change his oil or spark plugs or anything. He has to make an appointment and set his schedule around it because of his 3 kids. I asked him why he just didn't do it himself. 1)He doesn't know how.2)I guess it was covered by his extended warranty.3)Now that it isn't covered, the price is equal to about the cost of the materials. The thing is that when it was covered by the warranty he had to go out of his way to get his oil changed. He had to leave work early, pick up the kids and go to the dealership.

I know changing the oil is different from a busted speedo, but what I'm comparing is what he had to do to take advantage of the warranty. He would loose a couple of hours out of his day(as well as pay) when all he had to do was learn how to change his oil and he could do it when he had the time. BTW, you're right, if I had a warranty and it wasn't easily fixed I would take it in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just so you can see the flip side why I and others feel it shoulda just been brought in under warranty. A couple years ago my ps2 had the disc read error, i wanted to send it back to sony under warranty to get fixed. My dad wants to crack it open and clean the lense....well he did it and it worked after that, for a week or 2. Then I got the disc read error problem again. I couldn't send it back under warranty cause it was obviously opened, in addition to the fact that there is a sticker you have to peel back to open the ps2. If i just sent it back i wouldn't have had to buy a new one. So if the guy obviously messed with the cluster and it breaks again and the dealer notices it hwen you bring the car in, you get screwed.