Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Friend installs aftermarket stereo, first works, then doesn't...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friend installs aftermarket stereo, first works, then doesn't...

Ok, so my friend was installing an aftermarket head unit into his 98 civic ex coupe. He bought the harness thing and started crimping the wires to it. All of them matched up except a blue one from the harness and blue one from the headunit, the harness one was a lighter colored blue. Well, he tried the stereo without the blue wire, and it worked, but before putting it back in we figured the blue wires were most likely meant to be connected since they were the only ones that were left, and we connected them. He tried it out again and it worked fine...

Later that night he told me the blinkers weren't working anymore but the stereo still was. A little while later he called back and said that the stereo stopped working too. I told him to check the fuses and he said they all checked out. Any ideas on what to look for?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Friend installs aftermarket stereo, first works, then doesn't... (Jorsher)

A wire might have come loose? but if the blinkers arent working and stuff i would say that blue wire was the dimmer and it prolly blew a fuse he didnt look at mayber?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Friend installs aftermarket stereo, first works, then doesn't... (n8byte)

Most harnesses and radios use EIA standard colors. Blue is remote turn on or power antenna trigger. Dimmer or illumination depending on the radio is orange or orange with a white stripe. Remove the radio and check for pinched wires or stripped wires. Remove the harness and check it for power at the proper points... from the harness to the car, yellow should be 12 volts memory, red is acc switched power 12 volt, orange is 12 volt with parking lights on, black is ground. disconnect the radio when you test these leads.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Friend installs aftermarket stereo, first works, then doesn't... (littleredcivic)

go to circuit city, buy a harness for the car, a harness for the headunit, and whala you have plug and play
Old 10-20-2005, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Friend installs aftermarket stereo, first works, then doesn't... (93egsedan)

I don't know. I've never installed one of these things. My del sol ... and now civic... both had a kenwood cd player installed...the same model actually, was kinda weird.

I went over while he was installing it and didn't really pay attention was just being the usual *** and talkin on the phone assuming that it wasn't something that he could expletive up. I'll try what ya'll said, thanks for the tips.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any other tips before I go over there?