Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A freind of mine says CAI could cause my gas mileage to go down?? and partial venting about a misinf

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A freind of mine says CAI could cause my gas mileage to go down?? and partial venting about a misinf

my friend and i are having a conversation and i make a comment about how i didnt get that much mileage from this tank of gas this week. then he says its because of my CAI. He said something about since it is letting in more cold air, my car is running rich (? im not that technicall inclined) which is causing my engine to pump out more fuel to compensate, and that is the reason my mileage went down.

it seemd like he pulled this out of his ***. or could he be telling the truth? cuz his statement just seemed absurd because i've had my intake for about 6months now and i never noticed my overall gas mileage going down. he swears he's a guru of honda's (i'm not claiming to be one either) yet he drives an ep3 and thinks that the thing kicking in at 3000rpm is his VTEC, but ive read enough articles about the differences between the k20a2 and k20a3 engines to know that it is his extra valves opening up (VTEC-E), and not a more agressive cam engaging, like the VTEC engines we are accustomed to. But i didnt want to tell him cuz he'd be depressed. and i cant tell you how many times he made the comment "my VTEC kicks in so early, that is why my gas mileage is so bad." but i say in my head "no way man, its cuz you run your fuggin A/C 24/7 and redline in every gear!"

so my question is, is he full of it (about the CAI / gas mileage issue) ? or telling the truth?
Old 11-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A freind of mine says CAI could cause my gas mileage to go down?? and partial venting about a mi

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jedi_Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he pulled this out of his ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

EDIT: If he makes anymore comment tell him to drive my car which only gave 320Miles max to a full tank of 89 Gas in d15b7 and with only CAI started giving me 350miles minimum.

(of course the car is kinda dismantled right now)
Old 11-08-2003, 04:25 AM

Default Re: A freind of mine says CAI could cause my gas mileage to go down?? and partial venting about a mi

I got better gas mileage. Im pretty sure all intakes give you better gas mileage
Old 11-08-2003, 04:44 AM

intakes give you better gas mileage if you continue to dirve it the same like if you didn't have an intake.

but we all know having an intake makes you wanna smash on it more to hear that lovely growl
Old 11-08-2003, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9mugen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">intakes give you better gas mileage if you continue to dirve it the same like if you didn't have an intake.

but we all know having an intake makes you wanna smash on it more to hear that lovely growl </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol so true
Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM

yep, the extra 5hp actually gives you better milage Less restriction and more effcient (cold air compared to hot).
Old 11-08-2003, 06:26 AM

is there real danger to taking water into your system though? say...in storms for example? and does the water bypass you can buy, still allow you to get good performance out of your cai?
Old 11-08-2003, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matt98hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there real danger to taking water into your system though? say...in storms for example? and does the water bypass you can buy, still allow you to get good performance out of your cai?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless you are into driving into lakes or MAJOR puddles you shouldn't have any problems. I have one of the original AEM intakes, no bypass, nothing. I have had it on for 3 yrs. + and I have had no problems at all.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:31 AM

kewl, are you happy with it's performance?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matt98hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kewl, are you happy with it's performance?</TD></TR></TABLE>

CAI's give you good midrange power. its a good start when you wanna go more in depth to what you wanna do to your car. it was my first upgrade and i LOVE it

growwwwwllll....
Old 11-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jedi_Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friend and i are having a conversation and i make a comment about how i didnt get that much mileage from this tank of gas this week. then he says its because of my CAI. He said something about since it is letting in more cold air, my car is running rich (? im not that technicall inclined) which is causing my engine to pump out more fuel to compensate, and that is the reason my mileage went down.

it seemd like he pulled this out of his ***. or could he be telling the truth? cuz his statement just seemed absurd because i've had my intake for about 6months now and i never noticed my overall gas mileage going down. he swears he's a guru of honda's (i'm not claiming to be one either) yet he drives an ep3 and thinks that the thing kicking in at 3000rpm is his VTEC, but ive read enough articles about the differences between the k20a2 and k20a3 engines to know that it is his extra valves opening up (VTEC-E), and not a more agressive cam engaging, like the VTEC engines we are accustomed to. But i didnt want to tell him cuz he'd be depressed. and i cant tell you how many times he made the comment "my VTEC kicks in so early, that is why my gas mileage is so bad." but i say in my head "no way man, its cuz you run your fuggin A/C 24/7 and redline in every gear!"

so my question is, is he full of it (about the CAI / gas mileage issue) ? or telling the truth?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your friend is wrong!!! most bolt-ons will only make your car run lean. You actually gets better gas milage.
You friend's early vtec is his loud intake,...I bet he cant even tell the difference of the two.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any change in gas mileage should be so small it probably isn't even noticable....the difference is probably in your constantly wanting to hear it and using more throttle
chris
Old 11-08-2003, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cai simply raises the effeciency of your vehicle by letting it get cooler air. So of course if the car is more efficient it will get better gas mileage. That goes the same with exhaust.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:33 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

time to stir up some crap...........

OK, IF the CAI raises the peak part throttle power at your cruising rpm, then it will give better gas mileage. But do to the effiecent piping, your MAP sensor will see lower vacuum signals and therefore run richer, negating the added power with too much fuel.

How is your driving style?????

I can change your MPG by +4 mpg just by driving style alone. This will effect the LTFT (long term fuel tables) when driven properly. You need to keep the manifold vacuum at 10 mm/hg or higher when cruising.

Mind you, I just nailed 440 miles from 9.9 gallons of gas 2 weeks ago. In a 13.09 second (on the bottle) car.

Power to the SOHC.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But do to the effiecent piping, your MAP sensor will see lower vacuum signals and therefore run richer, negating the added power with too much fuel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

again im not that technically inclined, so what are you trying to say here? my freind was right about the whole "car running rich" thing?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You need to keep the manifold vacuum at 10 mm/hg or higher when cruising.</TD></TR></TABLE>
how sould i go about doing that?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Mind you, I just nailed 440 miles from 9.9 gallons of gas 2 weeks ago. In a 13.09 second (on the bottle) car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow......the best i've ever gotten was 310 miles on one tank and that was shifting to 2500rpm every gear.

btw, my friend and i were talking about how shell gasoline and how it supposedly gives you better gas mileage. i noticed in my first two tanks that i got an extra 20miles out of a full tank. but after that, the mileage per tank was going back to normal. and thats why i brought up the issue that my mileage went down.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its all about driving style...
Old 11-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can change your MPG by +4 mpg just by driving style alone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is so true, yet nobody seems to realize it. I know of several people getting in the mid/low 20 MPG City range in Civics, and I'm getting a consistent 42+ City MPG. These are, of course, the guys that are heavy on the gas from every light and shift at 5-6K even if they're not racing.

I don't understand why certain people drive Hondas and don't bother trying to get good gas mileage. Why have a Honda if you're going to keep youself in the 20-25 MPG range?
Old 11-09-2003, 11:21 PM
F*CK THIEVES!

Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone »
I don't understand why certain people drive Hondas and don't bother trying to get good gas mileage. Why have a Honda if you're going to keep youself in the 20-25 MPG range?

-----

Exactly...Gas is expensive!! i drive normal n shift at 3k rpm all the time..
Old 11-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hehe, 30mpg in my h22 hatch 13.411 slips......it's all about driving style,,,,,slow down early so you dont lose momentum, pick up throttle slowly when accelerating, and basically coast it when you can.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With my D15B7, I was averaging 40-44 mpg, mixed city and highway miles.
With my B18, I'm getting about 32-34 mpg, with both city and highway miles.
It's all about driving style...
Old 11-10-2003, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With my D15B7, I was averaging 40-44 mpg, mixed city and highway miles.
With my B18, I'm getting about 32-34 mpg, with both city and highway miles.
It's all about driving style...
Old 11-10-2003, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

reposter
Old 11-10-2003, 02:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ace1875 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">reposter</TD></TR></TABLE>huh?
Old 11-10-2003, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im guessing he posted the same thing twice?
Old 11-10-2003, 02:41 AM

Oh, I see it now. I'm blind.

Quick Reply: A freind of mine says CAI could cause my gas mileage to go down?? and partial venting about a misinf