Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Frankenstein Sohc D-Series Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! As the title states i am going to be building a Sohc frankenstein using all oem parts if possible but might go aftermarket depending on where i am at for power. I am not looking to take this to the track or do anything crazy.

Gonna be a daily driver/roadster. Power wise, i aim to get to as close to 140whp.

These are the parts i am working with:
D15B non vtec; complete block, pm3 pistons, pm3-13 head, stock valves
Sohc Zc non vtec; complete block, pm7 pistons D16Z6 ( PO8 ) head, stock valves
PO8 intake manifold D16Y8 rods
S20 B0000 tranny

I am fairly new to engine work but got a engine stand and already got the D15B torn down and Zc almost torn down. Vtec head ( PO8 ) is almost ready to be put back together, waiting on gaskets and debating a port and polish.

The engine will be going in a 93 Civic Hatchback. Was debating getting a motor bard but all the blocks serial #s i believe are obd0.

So trying to get an upgrade from the D15B7. Any advice will be much appreciated and i will be sure to include pictures!

Last edited by ChangoLoco; 04-05-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Frankenstein Sohc D-Series Build

You still need to BAR a motor that was available and came with car?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No. Just going for an all motor project to take me across the states for a cross country trip mainly. Got my suspension all done with rear disc so the motor is the only thing left. Gonna keep the B7 for smog or just drop the D15B block later on and bar that and swap between that and the frankenstein.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ChangoLoco
Hello everyone! As the title states i am going to be building a Sohc frankenstein using all oem parts if possible but might go aftermarket depending on where i am at for power. I am not looking to take this to the track or do anything crazy.

Gonna be a daily driver/roadster. Power wise, i aim to get to as close to 140whp.

These are the parts i am working with:
D15B non vtec; complete block, pm3 pistons, pm3-13 head, stock valves
Sohc Zc non vtec; complete block, pm7 pistons D16Z6 ( PO8 ) head, stock valves
PO8 intake manifold D16Y8 rods
S20 B0000 tranny

I am fairly new to engine work but got a engine stand and already got the D15B torn down and Zc almost torn down. Vtec head ( PO8 ) is almost ready to be put back together, waiting on gaskets and debating a port and polish.

The engine will be going in a 93 Civic Hatchback. Was debating getting a motor bard but all the blocks serial #s i believe are obd0.

So trying to get an upgrade from the D15B7. Any advice will be much appreciated and i will be sure to include pictures!
. What trans is that?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Trial User

Tune it on a 55 shot?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Outlawz74
. What trans is that?
Its the ex/si short geared transmission
Old 04-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Outlawz74
Tune it on a 55 shot?
Haven't put much thought into nos. But not looking to put in forced induction.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A little bump before i start tearing down more.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:41 AM
Trial User

Change all seals, new water pump, new timing belt. And slap on an Ebay intake for added horsepower.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by F1_Racer
Change all seals, new water pump, new timing belt. And slap on an Ebay intake for added horsepower.
i got a spyder cai already installed. I have everything i need besides a plan for the block. Not too sure what parts are compatible but i'm always doing research. Hoping to either hit my goal of 140hp or start building for turbo.

My main concern is pistons. A new set isnt terribly expensive but i am trying to see what i have available first.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ChangoLoco
i got a spyder cai already installed. I have everything i need besides a plan for the block. Not too sure what parts are compatible but i'm always doing research. Hoping to either hit my goal of 140hp or start building for turbo.

My main concern is pistons. A new set isnt terribly expensive but i am trying to see what i have available first.
Well, you're not even sure if you're going turbo or not because that plays into what kind of pistons you want to slap in there. With me, I'd hate to go with low-comp pistions even if I'm going turbo just for the simple fact that if I decide to ditch the turbo, my motor will run like crap with low compression pistons.

Did you check to see if that block or head is flat? Mill the head or deck the block for a slight raise of compression and get high comp pistons and slap it in there. Add a 50 shot dry NOS for fun and you're set. To me, it's stupid when people go overboard with all that ridiculous 500-600 horsepower...... it's like they are ***** always searching for the biggest ****.

Invest in suspension and brakes and you're set.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by F1_Racer
Well, you're not even sure if you're going turbo or not because that plays into what kind of pistons you want to slap in there. With me, I'd hate to go with low-comp pistions even if I'm going turbo just for the simple fact that if I decide to ditch the turbo, my motor will run like crap with low compression pistons. Did you check to see if that block or head is flat? Mill the head or deck the block for a slight raise of compression and get high comp pistons and slap it in there. Add a 50 shot dry NOS for fun and you're set. To me, it's stupid when people go overboard with all that ridiculous 500-600 horsepower...... it's like they are ***** always searching for the biggest ****. Invest in suspension and brakes and you're set.
Haven't checked the heads or blocks. Picking up some more tools today. Luckily a buddy of mine has that straight edge to check. Suspension is all done on the car with new coilovers, arms, and bushings all around.

With your advice in mind, would an overbore be a good idea? Maybe only to 75.5 or 76mm and drop in some nippon high comp pistons? Would either block make a difference besides the +.1 displacement from the Zc. Thinking of using the Zc block anyways just cause there is more support for D16s.