Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

frame damage :\ ? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame damage :\ ? (pics)

so basically, i was wondering if i could get some advice on what to do about my car. the previous owner was involved in an accident and i'm hoping a new core support could fix up my front end.
please take a look at these pictures and tell me what you think...

thanks for any advice you give. i've got my hands full with this car right now and i'm trying to take care of everything one step at a time..

another problem...

Old 09-02-2006, 11:16 AM

Default Re: frame damage :\ ? (yawningpuppy)

i think by getting a new radiator support and a hood everything should line up.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:22 AM

What you need to do (trust me, I learned the hard way) is take it to a shop and have them measure all the frame points up front to make sure everything is straight.
My car went right under a exploder, took out my hood, driver fender, lights, radiator, but it went over the bumper bar, so I thought everything would be fine.
Turns out mine did need some time on the rack after I bought a support, paid to have it installed, and paid to have it painted.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:22 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: frame damage :\ ? (EGwhat!!!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGwhat!!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think by getting a new radiator support and a hood everything should line up.</TD></TR></TABLE> This, and also make sure that the shock towers on either side are not messed up. If they are tweaked its not worth fixing. It depends on how hard the guy got hit. To really see what its bent, grab a service manual. Inside they give you measurements from different points. You can then measure those same points on your car and see how close you can come. If your off you know something is not right. Good luck man
Old 09-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys. i guess i'll be picking up a service manual real quick

again, thanks for any advice! :]

Old 09-02-2006, 11:27 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yawningpuppy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yawningpuppy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys. i guess i'll be picking up a service manual real quick

so on that note,
is the rad support welded on? or bolt on

again, thanks for any advice! :]</TD></TR></TABLE>

I strongly belive it has spot welds all the way around, but please dont hold me to it.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yawningpuppy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I strongly belive it has spot welds all the way around, but please dont hold me to it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this man is correct. you need to drill out the spots and then reweld or just use a bolt and nut through the hole. My buddy just did this and he used the bolt and nut method with great results/.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

aight aight. good thing my friend is good at welding.

i'll pick up a service manual and see what i can figure out. but i really hope there isnt any frame damage. ive been to two body shops and they both casually looked over my car and both gave me estimates of $1000+

Old 09-02-2006, 11:36 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this man is correct. you need to drill out the spots and then reweld or just use a bolt and nut through the hole. My buddy just did this and he used the bolt and nut method with great results/.</TD></TR></TABLE> Thats actually a pretty good idea. I would imagine though that you would want to use Grade 8 bolts right? I know welds hold the best so using the bolt method you would want the strongest bolt right?
Old 09-02-2006, 01:39 PM

i have the same exact problem my hood and fender on the driver side has a fatty gap and on the passenger it almost rubs, and the bumper and hood are so far apart it looks like the hood is always popped lol

like this: (i just got it and im dericing it) by the way, small world, what shops did u go to in WA?
Old 09-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: frame damage :\ ? (EGwhat!!!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGwhat!!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think by getting a new radiator support and a hood everything should line up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't appear the frame rails are bent....new rad support is definately in order though - do that, and everything should line up just fine...that seems to be the only reason for ur alignment issue...
Old 09-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: frame damage :\ ? (Syndacate)

same problem here. i got in an accident last winter and i hit this lady in her rear bumper. the impact on my car was right at the corner, where the radiator support meets the side of the car. right where the corner light is. im getting a new radiator support and the other piece that connects to it at the corner (dont know what is called, if any of u know please let me know so i can search for it) and hopefully everything lines up!
Old 09-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: frame damage :\ ? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ESS_Eisenkreuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i have the same exact problem my hood and fender on the driver side has a fatty gap and on the passenger it almost rubs, and the bumper and hood are so far apart it looks like the hood is always popped lol

like this: (i just got it and im dericing it) by the way, small world, what shops did u go to in WA?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no way dude. what are the chances of that? thats nuts

but yea, i went to freakin maaco by the mall lol. and then coopers collision repair (something like that) off proctor

i dont really know any good places :\
Old 09-02-2006, 04:32 PM

dude... i think i know u (not personally but i know of u) lol didnt you usta hang out with christian johnson way back in the day? and do u have a little sister?
Old 09-02-2006, 04:55 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ESS_Eisenkreuz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ESS_Eisenkreuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude... i think i know u (not personally but i know of u) lol didnt you usta hang out with christian johnson way back in the day? and do u have a little sister?</TD></TR></TABLE> PM him, I dont reccomend person things like that on the public view
Old 09-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah were getting off topic lol

but anyways, thanks for all the help guys :]

i'll update my progress soon
Old 09-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

omg please dont replace spot welds with bolts
Old 09-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: frame damage :\ ? (marcusgnf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marcusgnf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omg please dont replace spot welds with bolts </TD></TR></TABLE>

why?

did you have a bad experiance doing that?
Old 09-02-2006, 06:32 PM

yea its not the greatest idea but if u have no other way.... and maaco said 1000+ bucks.?... ehh....ouch. maaco likes to f*ck people. bad experiences there.