Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Found some integra seats in junkyard-- question about cleaning up and reupolstering

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found some integra seats in junkyard-- question about cleaning up and reupolstering

alright, here's the deal: I found some seats out of a wrecked Integra at a local junkyard. the car has been sitting outside for however long the car had been there, its been raining quite a bit the last couple of weeks here in San Antonio, but the exterior of the seats seem to be in fairly decent condition. i just wanted some opinions-- i think i'm going to try to get the seats for a cheap price ($70 would be ideal), simply because they have been sitting in the rain, and the car appears to be a 96 or so, and there is one cigarette burn. do you guys think i can clean up the seats and padding, get rid of any smell and mildew (from rain etc.) and then just get them reupolstered (sp?) by some company like Katskin? and if so, is the cost worth it? thanks alot
Old 03-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Found some integra seats in junkyard-- question about cleaning up and reupolstering (NinjaCivicS

Two words. Simple Green. Get a bottle of simple green spray it on the seats and srub it with either a scrub brush or a towel. Till the towel does not get anymore dirt out of it. Ihave bought many seats from junkyards some stained so bad with grease and simple green does the job everytime. If the smell is still there try frebrezze. Hope that helps.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Found some integra seats in junkyard-- question about cleaning up and reupolstering (NinjaCivicS

Two words. Simple Green. Get a bottle of simple green spray it on the seats and srub it with either a scrub brush or a towel. Till the towel does not get anymore dirt out of it. Ihave bought many seats from junkyards some stained so bad with grease and simple green does the job everytime. If the smell is still there try frebrezze. Hope that helps.
what he said
Old 05-07-2003, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump!

Also in the same situation. I'm going to clean my seats up today and re-paint them tommorrow or the day after once they dry

Simple Green the best way to go?
Old 05-07-2003, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how do u or why do u repaint seats???
Old 05-07-2003, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do u or why do u repaint seats???</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that he is talking about dying them.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:05 AM

I bought del sol seats at a junkyard. they were pretty bad. Motor oil.... rain and dirt make a nice mix. I brought them home and cleaned them with our carpet machine (it has lots of attachments) did this for two days. Few hours each day, they look brand new right now.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:16 AM

Go buy an extractor from wal-mart. It is called "little green" and is made by Bissel. Spray your seats down with light simple green in advance, and the spray and extract all the old moisture from the seats. Then put them in your car.

Go to walmart or winn-dixie, or a supermarket and buy a product called "damp-rid".

This stuff is great. It consists of a small bucket of little rocks in it. THe bottom of the bucket is empty, and the top half is filled with the rocks. LEt this sit in your car open for about a week while you drive, it will suck all the musty moisture and odor from the seats, as well as leave a very nice neutral smell in the car.

You will know when it works because the lower half of the bucket fills with water that is is extracting from the air, and from your seats. The stuff is amazing.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4g4me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go buy an extractor from wal-mart. It is called "little green" and is made by Bissel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, we have one in the closet that I just found

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Spray your seats down with light simple green in advance, and the spray and extract all the old moisture from the seats.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used the cleaner that is for the Bissel machine and Whoa! That's a bad-a$$ machine! I took the seats apart (backs off of bottoms) so I can really give them a good cleaning and get all the material when I die them (sorry not paint like I stated above ). I've got to get more of the bissel solution and also going to pick up a bottle of Simple Green. You guys are going to $hit when you see the dirt that was in the 2 bottom pieces. I'm going to take some pics so you guys can see what kind of filth are in old/used seats.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to walmart or winn-dixie, or a supermarket and buy a product called "damp-rid".

This stuff is great. It consists of a small bucket of little rocks in it. THe bottom of the bucket is empty, and the top half is filled with the rocks. LEt this sit in your car open for about a week while you drive, it will suck all the musty moisture and odor from the seats, as well as leave a very nice neutral smell in the car.

You will know when it works because the lower half of the bucket fills with water that is is extracting from the air, and from your seats. The stuff is amazing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to get some of this stuff once I get the seats complete and installed
Old 05-07-2003, 07:31 AM

Do Integra seats bolt directly into Civics? or do you need special rails or whatever? 98 civic, if it matters. 4 door, if that matters too.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is from today. Used one thing of solution on the two bottom pieces of the seats:

All I had done before using the bissel machine was vacumed the loose dirt away. I picked up another bottle of the Bissel solution and a bottle of Simple Green. I'm going to dilute some simple green and scrub the seats. Then I'll use the Bissel machine for a final clean-up

I couldn't believe the dirt this thing sucked out. You can see the dirt being sucked from the seat
Old 05-07-2003, 04:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's kind of gross..
Old 05-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that's kind of gross..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just showing you what most of you guys are probably sitting in
Old 05-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should take pics of before and after of the seats!
Old 05-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95hbMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should take pics of before and after of the seats! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I have pics of them the day I bought them. I'll definitely be posting a "How-To" in the Cosmetic forum
Old 05-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never bought junkyard seats before. However I have used simple green to get automotive grease and A1 steak sauce out of my current seats. You spray it on and the grease ALMOST dissolves right off. I also use simple green to clean my countertops It works wonders.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've never bought junkyard seats before. However I have used simple green to get automotive grease and A1 steak sauce out of my current seats. You spray it on and the grease ALMOST dissolves right off. I also use simple green to clean my countertops It works wonders.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How much do you dilute the Simple Green for cleaning the seats?