Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Found rusted rear disk breaks at the wreckers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found rusted rear disk breaks at the wreckers

hey guys, went to the wreckers with a Buddy and came across a black EG Si civic with rear disk breaks. Now 99% of civics here at the wreckers have drum breaks and I wouldn't mind installing rear disk onto my 94 civic coupe.

The rotors/calipers are pretty rusted and I'm wondering if it's still worth it to pickup. Hopefully I can get everything including the trailing arms for under $100.00 because of the condition but any recommendations on what to look for/check to make sure I'm not buying anything irreparable?

Also, I've searched about this conversion before but would I need to take the proportioning valve off of the civic with the rear disks also? do I need a new master cylinder?

thanks for the help
Old 08-06-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Found rusted rear disk breaks at the wreckers (Mr.RHTuner)

rotors you can just have it resurfaced and cheap. as long as the caliper isnt seized it should be ok. you dont need new master cylinder just the prop valve
Old 08-06-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Found rusted rear disk breaks at the wreckers (hatchi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rotors you can just have it resurfaced and cheap. as long as the caliper isnt seized it should be ok. you dont need new master cylinder just the prop valve</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, I'll probobly go this week to try to get a deal for them.
One thing I never understood is what do I do with the brake lines? Don't drum breaks have hard lines? if they do don't I need flexable lines to run the disk conversion?
Old 08-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nope, just take the lines that are already on it make sure u dont cut them or you'll be buying some new ones, or you can switch ur car over to steel braided which dont expand under pressure giving u stronger brakes, also make sure do get the e-brake cable because that is also different
Old 08-06-2005, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (robbie_R(eg6))

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robbie_R(eg6) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nope, just take the lines that are already on it make sure u dont cut them or you'll be buying some new ones, or you can switch ur car over to steel braided which dont expand under pressure giving u stronger brakes, also make sure do get the e-brake cable because that is also different</TD></TR></TABLE>

awesome thanks man

BTW: Your from ontario, check out the link in my signature about the meet
Old 08-06-2005, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Mr.RHTuner)

If you want to keep your parking brake you will need to take the entire parking brake assembly minus the handle, off of the Si, not just the cable.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to keep your parking brake you will need to take the entire parking brake assembly minus the handle, off of the Si, not just the cable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's going to be hard with the car on the dirt
Old 08-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-97CX)

isnt the e-brake spring and lever already connected on the caliper? when i changed mines to integra rear disk brakes, all i needed was the ebrake cable.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest getting steel braided lines since you need new ones anyway.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys, went to the wreckers with a Buddy and came across a black EG Si civic with rear disk breaks. Now 99% of civics here at the wreckers have drum breaks and I wouldn't mind installing rear disk onto my 94 civic coupe.

The rotors/calipers are pretty rusted and I'm wondering if it's still worth it to pickup. Hopefully I can get everything including the trailing arms for under $100.00 because of the condition but any recommendations on what to look for/check to make sure I'm not buying anything irreparable?

Also, I've searched about this conversion before but would I need to take the proportioning valve off of the civic with the rear disks also? do I need a new master cylinder?

thanks for the help
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I've done many swaps with parts from salvage yards. Just take everything apart and beed blast the calipers and rotors. Then have the rotors turned and you should be fine. I would swap the prop valve, MC. You don't need the booster but if it will fit, why not. It's all an upgrade for your car.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr.RHTuner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would suggest getting steel braided lines since you need new ones anyway. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dxhatch93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isnt the e-brake spring and lever already connected on the caliper? when i changed mines to integra rear disk brakes, all i needed was the ebrake cable.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that's going to be hard with the car on the dirt </TD></TR></TABLE>
Have them send someone out to the car with a giant forklift... that's what I do at the junkyards here where I live. If you're spending $ they usually try to work with you as best they can.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Found rusted rear disk breaks at the wreckers (nub.96ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nub.96ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I've done many swaps with parts from salvage yards. Just take everything apart and beed blast the calipers and rotors. Then have the rotors turned and you should be fine. I would swap the prop valve, MC. You don't need the booster but if it will fit, why not. It's all an upgrade for your car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Turning rotors is the most ghetto thing in the history of ghetto. If you can't afford Brembo blanks you shouldn't be driving.....
Old 08-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Found rusted rear disk breaks at the wreckers (GetawayInMoscow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Turning rotors is the most ghetto thing in the history of ghetto. If you can't afford Brembo blanks you shouldn't be driving.....</TD></TR></TABLE>
How is that ghetto? I can turn the rotors for free at my friends Dads shop. If I don't need to buy new ones I don't see the point in spending the $.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nub.96ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How is that ghetto? I can turn the rotors for free at my friends Dads shop. If I don't need to buy new ones I don't see the point in spending the $.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, exactly.

If you can't afford to buy an Optima battery, then that's ghetto: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1331213

Old 08-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Found rusted rear disk breaks at the wreckers (EL Vap133)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL, exactly.

If you can't afford to buy an Optima battery, then that's ghetto: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1331213

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Tu shay
Old 08-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've done many swaps with parts from salvage yards. Just take everything apart and beed blast the calipers and rotors. Then have the rotors turned and you should be fine. I would swap the prop valve, MC. You don't need the booster but if it will fit, why not. It's all an upgrade for your car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man
I went to check the rear disks today and the rotors/calipers are hardcore rusty. My friend knows somebody that works in the yard so I'll try to score them for 80 bucks both side
The rotors I'll get them turned if not then pickup new rotors and the calipers I'll send away to get re-built.

Not sure when this all will happen since I'm in dept on visa but it will be done