Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Found my problem... And some others that I need help with. (Distributor)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found my problem... And some others that I need help with. (Distributor)

Okay.. So I found out why my car was so freaking slow...

I set the timing way retarded, to TDC... I was using the wrong mark on the pulley.

Unforunately, I have the dizzy cranked to FULL advance (All the way counter-clock-wise if looking from where you stick the wires on.) and the timing is still halfway between TDC and the proper timing mark...

What am I doing wrong? I have a jumper wire between the Green/White and Brown wires on the diagnostics connector.

I'm adjusting the timing as per the Haynes Manual...

There appear to be junkyard markings on the distributor, leading me to believe that the previous owner replaced it... But I thought there was an offset tang on the distributor and an offset slot in the cam, or vice versa, that made improper installation of the distributor impossible...

The Dizzy cap and rotor are new as well...

Please help me.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Found my problem... And some others that I need help with. (Pele)

I just set the timing on my car the other day. I used the TDC mark at first too because it was the only mark I could see, but could not rotate the dizzy far enough to get the TDC mark to line up. So I got it as far as I could and took it for a drive and it was SLOW so I was like thats can't be right. So I took a closer look and found the 3 other marks that are close together. I had no problem getting the center mark to line up. My dizzy was approximately in the center of the adjustment slots when the timing was lined up correctly. Is your car at normal operating temperature? do you have all your accecories turned off? Do you have the pickup of the timing light on the #1 spark plug wire (closest to the timing belt)?
hmmm... Thats all I can think of
Old 11-28-2002, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Found my problem... And some others that I need help with. (monsoon)

Engine is at normal operating temp (Just shy of halfway up on the temp gauge.) Radiator fan had come on and off several times.

All electrical accessories were off... I waited till the radiator fan had turned off too.

I had a paperclip in the diagnostic connector. Green with a White stripe and the brown wire were connected together.

I was on the #1 spark plug wire... It's labeled on my dizzy cap. I tried both close to the distributor and close to the spark plug (On the same wire) with the same readings.

Not sure what else to try.

Here's links to my other posts about this problem. One goes in detail on the whole process that I went through to set the timing.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=339119
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=341787
Old 11-28-2002, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe the static timing isn't correct and thats why you can't adjust the timing back to normal. if you crank the dizzy all the way and it still not close, i would suggest reinstalling your timing belt. on mine, it was lined up at the white mark and my car was freakin slow, then we tried replacing the belt again and lining it up, but we couldn't so we brought it to my friend's shop and he did it for 40 dollars.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Found my problem... And some others that I need help with. (tominos)

Ya know.. I have been meaning to check the condition of the timing belt on this car. (Got the car a month ago.) Perhaps it has skipped a tooth.

Might also help solve that slight valve tick that I hear...

Any other suggestions before I head out to the garage?
Old 11-30-2002, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Static time it again line up your cam gears with the head,on your crank pulley there are three tics about an inch clockwise if looking at it from the drivers side there is another tic that is TDC line it up on your marking on tthe belt cover then tighten per instructions in manual.before you do this loosen your distr. and move it to approx. the center position.The slight valve noise is just the valve train before it gets lubed up if it still makes it after it has been running then you may need a valve lash adjustment.