Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Forcing Radiator Fan to run.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forcing Radiator Fan to run.

Alright I've tried searching so settle...

To be short I'm pretty sure my Radiator fan doesnt like me anymore. Is there any way to force it to run, or what is the best way to check if it is running? I do not know any way of getting that fan to run. I'm slightly overheating and not sure if this is any cause of the problem

93 CX Hatch.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Forcing Radiator Fan to run. (killer6993)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killer6993 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright I've tried searching so settle...

To be short I'm pretty sure my Radiator fan doesnt like me anymore. Is there any way to force it to run, or what is the best way to check if it is running? I do not know any way of getting that fan to run. I'm slightly overheating and not sure if this is any cause of the problem

93 CX Hatch.

Any input would be appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Run the power wire that would normally run to the fan switch to a contant power aka your battery. I suggest running a switch to your cabin too though otherwise you'll have to manually disconnect it from the battery everytime you wanna leave your car. PM user brucehunglo he did this on his coupe cause his fan switch shitted on him.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:08 AM

let your car warm up and pop your hood, im not sure how ofter its suppose to turn on, but if your at operating temp, and the fan doesnt come on ever, then i bet your fan is shot. that or else get a jumper wire from the battery to the fan and see if it turns on, your just going to have to do some simple trouble shooting.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Forcing Radiator Fan to run. (zdowell17)

well, i have a question, i purchased a slimline fan from b18bturbo here and i replaced my stock fanwith it, but it has never gone on,i let my car warm up, but the fan never goes on. The wiring is good, i did install it in the winter in NE Ohio, so could the cold contribute to it never going on?

sry if i jacked the thread
Old 02-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Forcing Radiator Fan to run. (Soccerking3000)

run the power wire into the cabin by your fuse box. At the top of your fuse box are some male connectors, find the on that has power when your car is on and run the power wire to it.

Your fan will be on all the time when the car is on but no big deal. I have done this for years especially on my turbo setup. My fan switch quite working a long time ago.

Fans rarely go bad (but they do sometimes) its usually the fan switch (temp swtich) its like $20 if you want to replace the switch. I personally like the fans being on all the time.

edit: for b18bturbo
Old 02-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw all that power wire running crap, just unplug the plug on your thermostat housing and either jump the 2 connectors with a paper clip or cut the plug off and twist the wires together, this forces the ground that woulod come from the thermostat opening up and grounding against the housing.........if it diesnt come on, fan is broke or wiring is wrong
Old 02-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

well would it just not go on because its 20 degrees out and there is no need for it to go on?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

not true just last month was boston areas coldest winter since i can remember and i have always been a fan of honda products so naturally i used honda brand antifreeze, it was premixed by the way, and one super cold morning i started my car and thought i would let it warm up for a good twenty minutes or so just to make sure that my *** wouldnt be cold, and on my way to my friends house to bring him to the airport my ****** car starts overheating. so now im freezing with no heat driving and im like **** theres no way im gonna be able to fix this **** in this cold weather so i borrowed my rents car and to my buddy to the airport. to make a long story not so long it turns out my dad checked it out while i was gone and put the heater blower in front of my car and turns out the ****** "antifreeze froze" and wasn't doing its job. since the liquid is premixed its not good for extremely cold weather my pops told me premix sucks and i should of listened to him but i figured it was honda genuine so i figured it has to be ok. bummer
Old 02-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">screw all that power wire running crap, just unplug the plug on your thermostat housing and either jump the 2 connectors with a paper clip or cut the plug off and twist the wires together, this forces the ground that woulod come from the thermostat opening up and grounding against the housing.........if it diesnt come on, fan is broke or wiring is wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup. easiest way to see if the fan is working

Old 02-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say the easiest thing to check first is the fuse then what mrbsponge said to check the switch, then run power and ground from the battery directly to the fan. and having the fan run constantly and the engine always under temp can be almost as bad as too hot.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

Trace back into the bundle of wires that have the two wires from the radiator clip. When you find these splice into them and test it first by running the black to ground and the red to your battery. Once you figure this out the fan should pop right on. You can then go buy a 3 prong toggle switch and mount it inside you cab somewhere. Run the two wires inside your cab to the switch, power to one prong, ground to one prong and the switch ground to one prong that will be grounded also somewhere next to the switch. Now your back in bussiness. And yes the fan should come on even if it is 20 degrees out if you run it for long enough, make sure that it is running when you drive it or you can damage the hell out of your head for one thing. Let me know if you need any other help with it.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tookmyhatch)

what is it with all the ghetto rigging advise. it's a $12 switch that takes 5 minutes to replace... or a ?$50? fan
Old 02-07-2005, 07:19 PM

i have some advise. THis will set you up for if you ever want to go to drag racing events or autocross. find the two wires coming out of the fan. find the ground(its black) run that into the car and put it on a switch then the to a ground. run the power wire to your battery. now, you control it. while sitting at a drag/autoX you can turn it on, and while your driving, once it warm turn it on and just leave it. my $.02.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Forcing Radiator Fan to run. (zdowell17)

I dont think ive ever seen my fan go on, but my engine has never overheated, not even after beating on it, or a long trip through some SoCal heat.....wierd...
Old 02-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Forcing Radiator Fan to run. (Confucius37)

wow, you guys seriously rig cars. Here's a simple way

You see that fuse panel right by the battery, it's got a relay for your fan in it. Use a paperclip and jump the relay, just go horizontal (at least mine was 4 pin) and I believe I went from 10oclock to 4 oclock, but it might be 2 to 8, either way, as long as the key is turned to turn stuff on, the fan will come on too.

Not hard and no cutting or splicing.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Forcing Radiator Fan to run. (Falqon)

K I've been trying to get this fixed now. Still dunno if it is the fan or not. Where is the thermostat housing? I dunno where it is, or what I'm looking for. I havent cut the wires yet because I dont want to if I dont need to. Still trying to see if I can force it to run without cutting those.

If anyone can help me find that Thermostat Housing I'd be appreciative.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:17 PM

Ok I just jumped to relay going 10-4 and the fan ran right away. Does this mean that relay plug is busted? Does this mean the thermo is broken?

Now I know it's not the fan, because it's working.

What's wrong, why doesnt it normally turn on?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:48 PM

BUMP!!!

I dunno what's wrong now, is it the relay plug?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im going to do the fan switch trick thats not a ba idea.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Forcing Radiator Fan to run. (tegon-gsr)

Damn someone has to know what's wrong. Is it that relay switch or something else?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problems with my car i thought it was the theromstat or the sensor on the block....but it was the relay switch....now the car work perfectly fine...cost about 30 dollars for a new one easy to do.....