Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forced induction

ok ok, I know someones just gonna end up giving me a link to a thread....or call me a newbie or something....but I just have a simple question.....on the drag strip....which would probly be best....turbo or super charger?.....and yes...for people who say "do your home work"....I have....so far im leaning towards super charged.....but I was just wanting you guys opinion since you guys know what your talking about....and im just looking at dyno sheets....
Old 01-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: forced induction (Toad)

turbo all teh way...

everyone on this board is biased though...including me
Old 01-11-2003, 12:48 AM

Default Re: forced induction (1320development)

well why im asking is everyone says that in the 1/4 turbo lagg....vs a all time on super charger....the super charger could pick up the 1/4 mile.....but the turbo could hit higher speeds in a long straight away
Old 01-11-2003, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well I think u have a tad more homework to do.. because in all honestly do u know the difference between a Centrifugal Supercharger and a Root-type Supercharger.. they are both different in there characteristics and produce power at different times in the overall powerband of the Engine.. and also a Centrifugal supercharger is simliar to a Turbocharger in that it makes power as engine speed increases but inital Torque/hp is low compared to a Roots-type supercharger.. thus I believe you need more reading and understandment of what to do with your vechile and more Information is needed.. such as what engine/fuel management/ECU/ what kind of power do u expect/ and so on need to be put into to this so that you make the right choice... and also Roots-type superchargers do not flow as well at high rpm vs a Turbocharger.. thus most Roots-type SCs (such as JRSC) do make good power but are limited to overall maximum power compared to a DRAG/REVHARD/MAX-REV turbo kit on a simliar engine.. sorry I'm rambling =P
Old 01-11-2003, 01:01 AM

Default Re: forced induction (IM ALL BOB)

well thank you for rambling.....this is why i love this sight....you guys know your stuff....I know it gets kinda annoying...to answer questions left and right....but i appreciate every response.....
Old 01-11-2003, 05:03 AM

u have limited amount of psi u can pull with supechagers due to it being driven by pulleys, ive heard 12psi top with the size they have on the market now plus i/h/e. with turbo depending on size of turbo, 15-17spi is not unheard of. with supercharger, u get hp gain all the way accross the band, with turbo u got lag (again depending on the size of turbo). superchager, low maintenace. turbo, LOTS of maint. superchager, can run on stock internals with reliability. turbo, u gotta build. almost everyone here on HT will say turbo and im one of them. i personally dont like superchargers but thats me

[Modified by dniedacess, 2:04 PM 1/11/2003]
Old 01-11-2003, 05:08 AM

Default Re: forced induction (dniedacess)

and also on top of different mods, it also depends on the driver. if you got 2 identical cars, same year, same miles on engine, same mods, same tires, same everything (i know i know...just hear me out here...) it all comes down to the drivers. if one can shift better and drive better than the other, u can get a better use of hp ur spitting up from the car
Old 01-11-2003, 06:08 AM

Many people are confused about the differences between a super charger and turbocharger. Both families of devices are basically air compressors, but they're operated' quite differently from each other. A supercharger is mechanically driven by the engine itself; usually off the crankshaft by a cogged belt and pulley system. This means that a supercharger uses up some of the engine's horsepower just to drive itself - often 60 horsepower or more! Fortunately, the airflow generated by the supercharger helps it produce far more horsepower than it requires to operate.

A turbocharger, however, is driven by the thermal energy of the exhaust gases of the engine. With non-turbocharged vehicles, these gases are simply discharged out of the engine as quickly and efficiently as possible, wasting a surprising amount of energy in the form of noise and heat. A turbocharger uses some of that energy (which would otherwise be wasted) to drive its
compressor, without the attendant horsepower loss of a crankdriven system.

The result? The turbocharged engine stands to produce more peak horsepower than a comparable supercharged engine, mostly because the turbo does not require any power from the crankshaft. Also, the turbocharged engine will typically run much quieter than a supercharged engine since the turbo has no gears, belts or pulleys and because the turbo itself muffles the exhaust. And while many superchargers are large, heavy devices (we've all seen Roots-type blowers sticking up through the hoods of muscle cars), the turbocharger is a relatively small package - a turbo capable of producing 600 horsepower can weigh only 15 pounds and be easily held in one hand.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:16 AM

I own a JRSC GSR motor.

For the dragstip, turbo is MUCH better. It generates much more power, and honestly, the turbo lag may help you avoid wheelspin.

At the straight line tracks, my JRSC suffers from horrible wheelspin. The torque boost is immediate, and impressive. On the twisties, however (because of the low RPM boost coming out of the turns), BMW M3's cannot lose me. (Ok, so I have trouble passing them, but they can't lose me, but hey, that's pretty good for an $18,000 car vs. a $50,000 car).

Turbo's OWN the dragstrip. The power boost capacity is HUGE, and personally, I think the turbo lag helps the launch.

Shawn
Old 01-11-2003, 08:22 AM

Default Re: forced induction (shawnhayes)

ttttttttttttttttttttttttttuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbboooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooootttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb booooooooooooooooooooooo
I am closed minded when it comes to my forced induction.... Go turbo and a fat hondata engine managment s200.