Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Foglights won't light/ Need experts advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Foglights won't light/ Need experts advice

So I have a set of Honda 99-00 foglights that I recently installed and enjoyed for about two weeks.

I started having issues with the lights after completing a quick (and what I thought to be painless) parking lights mod (so they flash with corner lights, and you can have them on without headlights on).

This involved simply swapping one wire and replacing the instruments fuse with a 10A (original 7.5A) At first I left the 7.5A fuse, it would work than burn out, and my instruments and fog lights would stop working, I used 2 extra 7.5A fuses then I bumped it up.

But I only had a 15A around, I used that. I now know how poor a decision it is to swap fuses with higher amperage. I'm not sure if this caused the issue, but it seems very possible.

Anyway, so now the fog lights do not turn on at all.

All my in dash fuses are good (by eye, havent checked all by multi meter yet).

My switch turns on (shows a green light), the relay makes a clicking sound when I push the switch, and shows continuity with the multimeter, so I'm assuming thats working. The foglight fuse itself is fine.

I have power (about 13 to 14 volts, is this the correct amount?) down all wires all the way to both light plugs.

I checked the bulbs and bulb wires for continuity, they both are fine.

So I'm stumped. My last thought is that its a bad ground? Since I just put the multimeter ground on some part of the cars body, I don't know if this is relevant or not.

Anyway thanks for any and all help.

Last edited by 4serioferio; 08-13-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Foglights won't light/ Need experts advice

It was the ground.

For future advice of others, the installation guide tells you to put the ground under the plastic mount of the washer fluid. This turned out to be a pretty poor place.

Or just delete this thread...