Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Foam in Radiator and cooling system bad headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam in Radiator and cooling system bad headgasket?

I'm repairng a freinds cars that was over heating. There it was shy 1 gallon of water. I replaced the thermo and filled it up with distilled water. After heating up, there is white foam and coolant being presured out of the upper radiator hose and ton of white foam on the radiator cap and hole.

I ran a compression test before leak down and after. Here are the results:

Before 90W was added:
180 180 170 180

After 90W was added:
210 190 190 190

I'm suspecting a head gasket, but I'm unsure what to think about the leak down results. The oil looks just fine. The white foam doesn't feel that oily. Any suggestions? And no, I did not add Mr. Bubbles to the coolant.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Foam in Radiator and cooling system bad headgasket? (Modern91Hatch)

The compression numbers look fine. Those do not always show a blown head gasket though. With the cap off and the engine running, does the coolant in the rad bubble? if so, poss. HG. You can also put the cap on, fill the reservoir and check for bubbling then. Also, is it possible that something other than coolant was put in the system? Does the car still overheat with full coolant? How is the oil level? Is there any smoke out of the tail pipe? Try to use this for further diag.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Foam in Radiator and cooling system bad headgasket? (B20 EJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20 EJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The compression numbers look fine. Those do not always show a blown head gasket though. With the cap off and the engine running, does the coolant in the rad bubble? if so, poss. HG. You can also put the cap on, fill the reservoir and check for bubbling then. Also, is it possible that something other than coolant was put in the system? Does the car still overheat with full coolant? How is the oil level? Is there any smoke out of the tail pipe? Try to use this for further diag.

Good luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm getting alot of bubbling in the radiator. At first, after heating up, there was a constant flow of bubbles. After a bit, it's bubbling and foaming like a rabid dog! There is no visible smoke of any kind comming out the tail pipe
Old 06-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the fact that you're getting a lot of bubbling and the fact that you have a 12.2 CR would imply a blown head gasket. Since there's no smoke coming out the tail pipe, I'm not sure if that's your case, but I wouldn't be surprised. I had seemingly ok compression test results when I blew my head gasket, but it turns out that the water in the engine caused the numbers to be so high. If you have the equipment, I'd try a leakdown test.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Foam in Radiator and cooling system bad headgasket? (ddd4114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ddd4114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the fact that you're getting a lot of bubbling and the fact that you have a 12.2 CR would imply a blown head gasket. Since there's no smoke coming out the tail pipe, I'm not sure if that's your case, but I wouldn't be surprised. I had seemingly ok compression test results when I blew my head gasket, but it turns out that the water in the engine caused the numbers to be so high. If you have the equipment, I'd try a leakdown test.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not working on my car, my car running great. I'm actually working on a Mazda 626 DX. There was a leak on one of the hoses. What I think happend is it sprung a leak and lost water. Then the car was driven to the point where the computer shut off the car cause it was soo hot. Then the head warped, so I'm getting the bubbling. I replaced the hose and I'm getting foam still.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Modern91Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not working on my car, my car running great. </TD></TR></TABLE>
sorry, I was reading your original post quickly.

I had a leaking hose, lost about half my coolant, and drove the car for 5 or 10 minutes on the parkway before fixing it. Still, I didn't warp the head, and the engine was very very hot at this point. It really takes a lot of stress to warp the head, but I don't know how much you subjected the engine to when the hose started leaking. In my case, only the head gasket failed and the head and block were fine. Hopefully you'll have a similar case and won't need to spend a lot of money in repairs.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Foam in Radiator and cooling system bad headgasket? (ddd4114)

I've re-filled the coolant again with just distilled water. I made sure I properly flushed out the system. It's not really pressurizing anymore. I've driven 30 miles and there is no sign of the cooling system being pressurized. Almost no foam at all. No extra water in the over flow. I doubled checked with my friend to make sure she did not add any fluids what so ever to the cooling system. She's never even poped the hood. So I think I can rule out her dumping any detergent into the cooling system.

I was thinking of re-torquing the head bolts to be sure. Should I loosed them in the proper order then re-tourqe them?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a cooling system pressure tester?

Are there any external leaks at all? Especially in the area of the water pump. If there is a leak there then the pump can suck in air and cause the fluid to aerate.