Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

flywheels which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flywheels which is better?

the difference between these two flywheels is ten dollars which one is better i know lighter is better but im looking at the designs and the heavier one is a one piece chromoly construction which looks stronger

Fidanza Aluminum Flywheels are made using the highest quality, most modern materials available. The flywheel itself is made from 6061 T6 billet aluminum. It is CNC machined at a constant surface speed for durability and finish. The friction surface is very special. Fidanza uses 1050 high carbon, alloy steel. It is incredibly durable allowing the user to use just about any clutch disc material available from organic to Kevlar and even sintered iron. The friction plate can be machined or replaced as needed. The plates are secured with 16-20 hardened aircraft quality screws with self locking nuts which prevents any warping. Fidanza uses hardened ring gears that are swarted to the flywheel, with button head screws that are counter board between the flywheel and ring gear to prevent any possible slippage. The mass at the center of the flywheel is retained for strength, but the mass at the outside is eliminated for optimum performance.

Ultra Light and weighs only 7 lbs

SFI approved 2 Part Design with replaceable clutch contact plate delivers the highest quality and longest service life of any flywheel available

FIDANZA Flywheels work with Stock, ACT, Clutchmasters, Centerforce and EXEDY and OE replacement Clutch Kits.
or

GRC (Gripforce Racing Clutch) JDM is our top of the line racing clutch system for street, strip and track applications. GRC Lightweight Chrome-Moly Flywheels are made from solid one-piece billet chrome moly steel. They are specifically designed to reduce weight and inertia for better engine response. Most incorporate special design features to enhance the air flow to improve the cooling of the clutch. The ring gear teeth are milled onto the flywheel unlike an aluminum flywheel where the ring gear is pressed onto the flywheel which has the possibilities of separating from the flywheel. This could cause the flywheel to explode due to two different expansion coefficients (aluminum flywheel pressed on steel ring gear). All GRC Chrome-Moly flywheels have passed engineering tests to 15,000 rpm.

* Ultra Light and weighs only 10.9 lbs

* SFi 1.1 certified for true racing application

* GRC Lightweight Chrome-Moly Flywheels incorporate special design features enhance the airflow for improved clutch cooling and performance

* GRC Lightweight Chrome-Moly Flywheels work with every clutches including the EXEDY standard, EXEDY Racing, ACT, Clutchmasters, Centerforce and OEM clutch Kits.

* CAD designed, CNC machined and computer balanced

Old 07-28-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: flywheels which is better? (northkai3)

fidanza
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=true
and
grc
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1
Old 07-28-2005, 06:29 PM

please i have a jspec d15b vtec engine and im finally gettin my new si tranny. i had the car running on the stock cx tranny-translation 2nd gear ends at 85 and i max out in third at like 115 so new tranny needs a new clutch and flywheel while im down there! any help would be appreciated i dont even really think i need the stage 2 clutch right now but i think im gonna be boosting in the near future so figured id get em both. engine only has some bolt ons ram air intake d16y8 intake manifold stock exhaust no muffler=10+mph top end spark plugs and wires and an aluminum radiator
Old 07-28-2005, 06:40 PM

so no one knows anything about flywheels?
Old 07-28-2005, 07:04 PM

Old 07-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with the 1 pc cromoly one i dont think the other would have enough inertia with your low hp motor, lighter isnt always better, the motor will rev quicker but will also drop rpm quicker as well, just my .02
Old 07-28-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: flywheels which is better? (Crx Jimmy)

thanks! any one else?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get which ever is easier on your wallet, I have ran a fidanza 7.5 flywheel in my civic for the last 3yrs 50k+ miles, love it never had any problems. You will satisified with either unit as they both are a huge difference in weight compared to stock OEM flywheel. and I have used the flywheel with both a b18b and a b16b motor and really couldn't be happier with my fidanza unit. Good luck
Old 07-29-2005, 04:02 AM

ACT Flywheel, i have a 9lb and bought it becuase it is crome-moly, honda and spoon are made of similar material, spoon was too expensive. I thought Spoon and Honda would know that alluminium would not be good for a fly.

Go with crome-moly

Modified by supaman111 at 2:00 PM 7/29/2005
Old 07-29-2005, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: flywheels which is better? (Crx Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crx Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go with the 1 pc cromoly one i dont think the other would have enough inertia with your low hp motor, lighter isnt always better, the motor will rev quicker but will also drop rpm quicker as well, just my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto

you may want to consider the weight of each flywheel and why you are putting the flywheel in, opposed to what each is made of and what it looks like. IMO

When choosing the flywheel for my car we went with the heavier of the two because of the fact that it would drop the rpms so fast.

Exedy Clutch and ACT flywheel = great combo

do you street drive your car or is it race only??

Old 07-29-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: flywheels which is better? (hondachick81)

there is a weight difference between the 2 yes and ive considered this but the main thing to me is the integrity of the design ive heard of flywheels exploding be fore because of the toothing coming apart from the aluminum flywheel now the fidanza flywheel uses approximately 16-20 screws to hold the teeth on the flywheel so the ad says but have any of u heard of any problems with this wheel.? and yes the lighter one will slow down quicker but does that really matter to me when im flooring the pedal and redling everygear the half of a second that im holding the clutch down will the rpms go down that much that it wouldnt be worth it for me ? i take the car to moroso sometimes but other then its a daily driver right now
Old 07-29-2005, 06:59 AM

bump
Old 07-29-2005, 07:59 AM

Using Fidanza on my d15, no problems at all for the last 10k! Gets a thumbs up from me.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

The fidanza is tried and true...

I'd get a reputable brand (fidanza) even if it is aluminum over a no name brand chromolly ANY DAY.

I have the fidanza and it's great... No problems whatsoever...

Only thing I'd look into is whether or not the otherone is balanced at the factory...

Fidanza's ARE NOT... and I"m pretty sure mine's a little off as ever since install the car runs a little lopier. Nothing drastic but it's noticable... the instruction recomend you have it balanced prior to install but most people on here never did.

Search around there are LOTS of threads on this subject and even some on this exact comparison.

Overall though I have to say the fidanza is treating me great... and as far as "the rev's dropping fast"...

A. Who cares.
B. they don't drop fast...

I have a grind in 3rd in the tranny I just got.. .and I have to wait a solid 2-3 seconds after coming out of 2nd to get the RPMS to drop low enough to get it into 3rd without a grind... so obviously they don't drop that fast.

It take a bit more gas to get off the line but you'll be used to it in no time and the car will drive great...

Also a thing to consider on the fidanza is that the friction surface is replacable which means no replacing the entire flywheel if it needs resurfacing the next time you do a clutch.

and i haven't heard of the ring gear seperating off the fidanza... although that's not to say it has never or will never happened.

Good luck.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:25 AM

Default Re: flywheels which is better? (NonovUrbizniz)

what u mean it takes more gas to get off the line?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:04 AM

bump1
Old 07-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it means that you need to step on the gas a bit more or have the motor rev faster then release the clutch to get teh car moving, if not the engine will die because theres not enough momentimum because of the lightened flywheel.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (civiccoupe94)

well the lightened flywheel will rev faster because of its lightened mass so technically
Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (northkai3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by northkai3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the lightened flywheel will rev faster because of its lightened mass so technically</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but you still have to push on the gas more. I am running a Pro Street chromoly 8.38lb. flywheel. It's on my D15B7 right now and it's great. People said this and that about lightweight flywheels and they where ALL wrong. Downshift as hard as you want, it will not stall. RPM's dropping really fast; I still find that one funny. Yeah, they do rev faster and the rev's drop faster, but it not like you shift at 4,000rpm and when you put it in gear it's at idle....lol. Between shifts at 3,000rpm (if I shift slow) it usually drops about 1,000. If you shift fast you will not even feel the difference. Just give it more gas when you get going from a stand still and you will be fine. Also if you get a hard grabbing clutch/pressure plate, you have to learn how to launch because if you pop the clutch it will stall it. &lt;-- Once you learn how to launch with them, this is no longer a problem. Go for either one and have fun .
Old 07-29-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: (Bond)

well i would think u would have to push the gas less because it takes less energy to turn a 7lb flywheel then it does the stock what is it 15 lb flywheel and like i said it would rev faster to but what ur saying is that it does rev faster but it takes more energy to spin? and i really have no idead about flywheels so ur prob right but i just want to understand why?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by northkai3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i would think u would have to push the gas less because it takes less energy to turn a 7lb flywheel then it does the stock what is it 15 lb flywheel and like i said it would rev faster to but what ur saying is that it does rev faster but it takes more energy to spin? and i really have no idead about flywheels so ur prob right but i just want to understand why?</TD></TR></TABLE>

O.K. A large flywheel can keep it's motion going stronger and longer then the lightweight. So the stock (16.48lbs mine wieghed in at) needs less gas because it can keep it's momentum. The lightwieght can reach desired rev's faster, but can not hold them (less momentum). So yeah it rev's up faster, but once the clutch touches it all momentum is lost, where as a stock would hold the momentum long enough to get the car moving when less on the throttle. Just keep it at 2,500rpm to 3,000rpm and slowly let the clutch in. You will get use to the feeling and will learn when to let the clutch in faster. Basically goes like this, hold at 3000, let clutch in slowly, feel it grab, let the clutch in fast. This all occurs while letting off the clutch; slow then fast.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know where i can get a flywheel balanced?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95singlecamvtec)

I would have to go with a machine shop . Call up your local automotive machine shop and they will do it.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: (95singlecamvtec)

so when happens when i want to launch? do i have to drop at a higher rpm?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:24 PM

im getting new clutch new tranny and new flywheel all at the same time im upgrading fro a cx tranny and stock clutch/flywheel to the stage 2 clutch si tranny and a new flywheel either the fidanza or the no name chromoly one

Quick Reply: flywheels which is better?