Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up

Well when im done at the end, i wana make at least 400whp boosted. i hear the lighter the harder it is to drive slower (parking lots, traffic, etc), but more acceleration. With lighter you get faster/more aceleration, but you also get more rpm drop between shifts, am i right? I have never drove a car with lightened flywheel, so i wont have anyclue. I will have a ls/vtec/turbo/55 shot..if that makes a difference. Ok..so the what can i expect between the 12lb, 12.5lb, 11lb, 10lb, 9lb, 8.8lb, 7lb etc....you get the point. I will hit the tract on weekends, thsi is a daily driver not a trailor queen...so keep that in mind when you answer my question. I Also wana hear fomr experience from you guys..peace
Old 09-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up (Fuzion)

From the research that I've done, anywhere from 12 to the stock 18 is best for a turbo, anywhere. A guy (motormatrix) lost a bit of torque going to an 8lb flywheel. The car will tend to stall as well with the light flywheel. I wouldn't go below 12 in any case, and the stock one should be fine unless you need one SFI certified for drag racing.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:16 PM
t616

Default Re: Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up (Bnjmn)

stock ITR flywheel
Old 09-07-2003, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up (aesop-)

It's all in what you like. for street use I can't see going below a 10 pound but there are some with lighter than 10 on the Street and low the way they accelerate.

But just know that there are tradeoffs and choose wisely
Old 09-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up (Tyteteg119)

Stock
Old 09-07-2003, 10:29 AM
crazy eyez killa

I'm going to be boosting on my 12.5 lb ACT flywheel (streetlite.)

My buddy has 350 whp in a 99 Civic Si on 15 psi and he's running a Toda 9lb flywheel.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:34 AM

i would go as light a you can..i'm runin a 8lb assco right now on my n/a b16 and love it..it is true that it will be a bit harded to drive in stop in go, and honestly it still catched me off gaurd sometimes..But what you loose is made up in a definate increse in acceleration....And contrary to what it may feel like you will not loose eny tq! it's just impossible.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:12 PM
diearzte2

Oh thank god....someone that says an 8lb fly is safe. I was getting concerned as I just ordered my 8.8 Exedy with a Stage 2 clutch.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:43 PM

Default Re: (diearzte2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diearzte2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh thank god....someone that says an 8lb fly is safe. I was getting concerned as I just ordered my 8.8 Exedy with a Stage 2 clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good choice you wont be dissapointed...personaly i dont see eny reason to not go with a 8 or 9 lb flywheel...the driveability you loose is very minimal
Old 09-08-2003, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up (blazinb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blazinb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would go as light a you can..i'm runin a 8lb assco right now on my n/a b16 and love it..it is true that it will be a bit harded to drive in stop in go, and honestly it still catched me off gaurd sometimes..But what you loose is made up in a definate increse in acceleration....And contrary to what it may feel like you will not loose eny tq! it's just impossible. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Turbo Apps are different than NA and it is not always a good idea to go with the lightest FW.
8-9 pounds is probably the lightest I would go but the difference between a 9 pound and a 10.5 pound is minimal so I am sticking with the 10.5 for now. If you are going with Turbo I would check into that some more in maybe the FI forum.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up (aesop-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aesop- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock ITR flywheel </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do the Itr flywheels work with a d series motor?

And what do they weigh? They are around 10lbs right?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:35 PM

you dont need a lightened flywheel.
i have a stock one in my b20 turbo setup and i think it works fine.
maybe accelerates even too fast
Old 09-18-2003, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up (str8sleeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by str8sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe accelerates even too fast </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up (CarbonCreations)

good info I'm about to buy a lightened flywheel and would like to hear more opinions.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:33 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blazinb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would go as light a you can..i'm runin a 8lb assco right now on my n/a b16 and love it..it is true that it will be a bit harded to drive in stop in go, and honestly it still catched me off gaurd sometimes..But what you loose is made up in a definate increse in acceleration....And contrary to what it may feel like you will not loose eny tq! it's just impossible. </TD></TR></TABLE>

eh?? do half you guys really even have a lightened flywheel?? I may only run 10psi intercooled on a d-series but my greddy organic clutch set and clutchmaster's 8lb flywheel are awesome. I wouldn't go back if I HAD to. period. and I live in ATLANTA, GA and work in MIDTOWN...talk about stop and go traffic, I have NO problems but I did pick quality parts.

and yes, I auto-x also and it is sooo wonderful. I do notice a difference especially coming out the back "s". I used to struggle at about 2800rpm coming out but now it just revs right up at that rpm coming out. Less rotational mass means it can spin faster regardless of what peeps think.

oh and I've got pics of mine to prove it

oh and no, I didn't use that zoom clutch in the picture...I got smart at the last minute and swapped it for the greddy unit.

http://www.geocities.com/_nitr....html

it's geocities so I can't link em up here
Old 09-18-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

eh?? do half you guys really even have a lightened flywheel?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea your right, i just made it up
Old 09-18-2003, 05:13 PM
at the jetties fishin'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blazinb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea your right, i just made it up</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, caught you!

seriously though, I wasn't singling you out or anything, just the post I stopped on to respond to the thread on...unless you're serious with that comment then
Old 09-18-2003, 05:22 PM

I have an exedy 8.8 too and it's nit that bad. took .2 seconds off my 1/4mi. time. also it helps you get more acceleration straight from 0rpms till you lay it down hard in an instant. less torque but a good amount off accel.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha, caught you!

seriously though, I wasn't singling you out or anything, just the post I stopped on to respond to the thread on...unless you're serious with that comment then </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's cool, no i really do have that set up haha..just dident make scence because you basicly reinforced what i had said
Old 09-18-2003, 07:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Stackz I had heard that FI cars should not go ultra light with flywheels. I thought it was best to stay around the 10 lb area. Again this is what I have read, but it was never made clear as to why. Do you have any problems? Stalling... and thing?
Old 09-19-2003, 03:24 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Default Re: Flywheel for STREET turbo set-up (Dengar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dengar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stackz I had heard that FI cars should not go ultra light with flywheels. I thought it was best to stay around the 10 lb area. Again this is what I have read, but it was never made clear as to why. Do you have any problems? Stalling... and thing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the only people that stall out are people who don't know how to drive stick and they use other **** as their excuse to cover up for it. period. I don't have a DAMN problem with it and personally love it. It acts just like the stock flywheel only lighter and I can rev a lot faster, that's about the easiest way I know to explain it.