Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Flywheel removal

Old 02-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Flywheel removal

Ok another pretty stupid question, first time disassembling a motor and i just wanna know if you can remove the clutch and flywheel with the cylinder head off. And if so how, no matter how I pin it down all it does is spin anyway.

Seems like I should be able to hault timing while doing this, but the motor doesn't have a crank pulley. Or am I just stupid? Eh, help pls?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:25 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: Flywheel removal

Yes, you can remove it with the head off.

To stop it from turning: Put a bolt in one of the alignment pin holes and use it as a resting spot for a flat head screw driver that you stick into the flywheel teeth.

Just make sure you find TDC before reinstalling everything.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:26 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Also, I'm pretty sure the flywheel bolts are reverse thread. RonJ or Tony, can you confirm or deny? I've only done it twice so I can't remember.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:17 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...sting-3002401/

Being a regular doesn't excuse you from following the rules.

If you have an air compressor, an air impact would be great, but most people don't have a compressor that can do it. Electric impact gun will be your best friend. It'll spin those ******* right off. When you put them back on, use a tiny bit of HondaLock 2 or 3 on the threads. The FSM doesn't specify it, but I'm speaking from experience when I say you'll thank me later.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
Yes, you can remove it with the head off.

To stop it from turning: Put a bolt in one of the alignment pin holes and use it as a resting spot for a flat head screw driver that you stick into the flywheel teeth.

Just make sure you find TDC before reinstalling everything.
I'm standing in front of the block right now and I don't see it. All the holes just have threads in them. Also I don't know if I mentioned but the whole clutch, tob, and pp are in too.

Is it on the tranny side or on the cam side of the motor?

And the motor is a B16a.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
Also, I'm pretty sure the flywheel bolts are reverse thread. RonJ or Tony, can you confirm or deny? I've only done it twice so I can't remember.
X2
Old 02-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by White_EG1
And the motor is a B16a.
Which one? What car?

The flywheel bolts on my 97 Civic DX are conventional threads. I doubt the B16 are different, though I'm not absolutely sure.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:30 PM
Shit Posts: 15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They sell special tools that hold the wheel whee while you remove the bolts that hold it on.
You also need to remove the clutch and pressure plate to access the flywheel bolts.

If you are having trouble removing the pressure plate bolts. And don't have a tool to hold the fly wheel in space. A big flat head between the teeth on the flywheel and pushed against the trans will keep it from spinning.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This tool works:

Powerbuilt 648796 Honda Cranks Pulley Removal Tool - Pry Bars - Amazon.com Powerbuilt 648796 Honda Cranks Pulley Removal Tool - Pry Bars - Amazon.com

I think it's a free rental at O"Reillys.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A big flathead it is. Thanks guys

And its the pr3-3 b16a, going into a eg but not yet so didnt list the car lol sorry
Old 02-19-2016, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pressure plate and clutch plate must be removed before you can access the flywheel bolts. There are 6 bolts around the perimeter of the pressure plate that you should back out evenly so as not to warp your hardware, they are conventional thread, left to loosen.

A hint to break them loose initially without buying extravagant tools is to use a breaker bar (not necessarily a big one, just one that holds the socket stationary) with the correct socket and tap the handle of the breaker bar with a mallet with minimal force to break torque load. Dont go crazy with it, you just need to get the initial load off the bolt.

Proceed to do this to all 6 of the pressure plate bolts so all you have to do is back them out evenly until the pressure plate no longer exerts force on the clutch disc and flywheel. If you are reusing your pressure plate for some reason, mark at least one of the alignment dowels and the hole it goes through to keep the original position of the pressure plate on reassembly.

Once the pressure plate and clutch disc are removed, you will see another 6 larger bolt heads at the central hub of the flywheel, the same technique can be applied to them, but you should secure the flywheel as mentioned above, again, mark a hole in the flywheel and the corresponding hole in the crankshaft end to retain position.

You can move forward from there quite easily.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:33 AM

An electric impact is an extravagant tool, now? I hope that was either a joke, or aimed at someone else's tool recommendation...
Old 02-20-2016, 11:26 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI the only reverse threads I've ever encountered are on the ring gear for the differential (final drive gear).
Old 02-20-2016, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I pulled my flywheel on my b20vtec a couple of hours ago. The electric impact did the trick for me. I was able to use allen wrenches on the pressure plate with a screwdriver holding it in place, but I couldn't get the flywheel bolts loose with hand tools.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i only use an electric impact. $40 at harbor freight 4+ years ago, and still going strong. the only thing its ever not taken directly off are crank pulley bolts, but i've seen plenty of pneumatic guns fail at removing them as well.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:41 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

If the engine is on an engine stand you're going to need to figure out a way to hold the flywheel or the crank in place to remove the bolts. If it were in the car and the crank was still on you'll need crank tool.

Next time please be descriptive about the problem. I got confused at why you would need to remove the head to get to the flywheel bolts...
Old 02-20-2016, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
An electric impact is an extravagant tool, now? I hope that was either a joke, or aimed at someone else's tool recommendation...
Ah, you caught me. It WAS jokingly, but still...I DO know people who think exactly like that.
Personally, on the pressure plate bolts I can just use my cheapo ryobi impact driver with a socket attachment to get them off easily enough. I'll end up using my Milwaukee electric impact on the flywheel bolts and crank bolt...easy as can be.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by tony_2018
If the engine is on an engine stand you're going to need to figure out a way to hold the flywheel or the crank in place to remove the bolts. If it were in the car and the crank was still on you'll need crank tool.

Next time please be descriptive about the problem. I got confused at why you would need to remove the head to get to the flywheel bolts...
That's

Uh

wat?

If the engine was on an engine rotisserie, you would have essentially zero access to the flywheel bolts. Most rotisseries mount on the transmission side of the engine. Besides, the flywheel is something you put on after the engine is assembled and in the car. I feel like OP has everyone equally confused, since they have been vague to the point of it being intentionally annoying.

Originally Posted by MisereNoire
Ah, you caught me. It WAS jokingly, but still...I DO know people who think exactly like that.
Personally, on the pressure plate bolts I can just use my cheapo ryobi impact driver with a socket attachment to get them off easily enough. I'll end up using my Milwaukee electric impact on the flywheel bolts and crank bolt...easy as can be.
It's all good Honestly, when you start getting to this level of working on a car, even if it's just your own car, a good electric impact should be a must-have. It's a $150 tool that's a one-time purchase, and makes nearly everything infinitely easier to do.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:27 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
That's

Uh

wat?

If the engine was on an engine rotisserie, you would have essentially zero access to the flywheel bolts. Most rotisseries mount on the transmission side of the engine. Besides, the flywheel is something you put on after the engine is assembled and in the car. I feel like OP has everyone equally confused, since they have been vague to the point of it being intentionally annoying.

It's all good Honestly, when you start getting to this level of working on a car, even if it's just your own car, a good electric impact should be a must-have. It's a $150 tool that's a one-time purchase, and makes nearly everything infinitely easier to do.
He didn't state where the engine was, in the car or on and engine stand. Again, if it were in the car the crank tool would be helpful here.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry guys motor is out of the car. So this is what im dealing with, I just want to know how I can stop the clutch/flywheel assembly from moving while removing it.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Secure the crank pulley.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Fish Twig

Secure the crank as well as the block, jesus, that thing is gonna roll off that table and hurt something.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Shit Posts: 15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first set your ratchet to loosen. From the picture you are tightening it.
Get a hammer and bang the ratchet if you have no way to secure it.
The fast impact won't spin the fly wheel but will break the bolt loose making it easier to come out.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Secure the crank pulley.
The motor came with no crank pulley
Originally Posted by tony_2018
Secure the crank as well as the block, jesus, that thing is gonna roll off that table and hurt something.
Haha, I had the whole long block sitting there like that for a few months. I still feel bad. But everything is getting refreshed so eh

So how would you go about this if you only power tools and no crank pulley?
Originally Posted by JDMswagSerf
first set your ratchet to loosen. From the picture you are tightening it.
Get a hammer and bang the ratchet if you have no way to secure it.
The fast impact won't spin the fly wheel but will break the bolt loose making it easier to come out.
I just did that for the pic, I couldn't use a 1/4 on that lol.

I have no impact or power tools... Is this impossible?
Old 02-21-2016, 04:17 PM

Go buy an electric impact. Problem solved. you're at the point with that motor that you need proper tools, not just whatever hand tools you have laying around. Go buy a crank pulley. Problem solved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flywheel removal