Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Flywheel or input shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel or input shaft?

Hello everyone I'm new to Honda tech first time posting. I don't really do this but this time I have no idea what's wrong with my car. So I'm hoping somebody on here can help me. Let's get to the point.

2000 Honda Civic si b16a2 s4 trans
Has a brand new competition clutch kit. Changed it out because it was making a throw out bearing noise.
Clutch included pressure plate, pilot bearing and throw out bearing.
Installation was easy no problems. I got a competition flywheel 12lbs when I came to put the pilot bearing in, it was loose it will go in by hand and I can push it out by hand. Anyways I got that issue fixed now bearing goes in using a hammer. Installation was easy no problems what's so ever everything torque to spec! But when I came to turn on the car the noise was still there?? And even louder.

No here is where it becomes confusing!
So from what I know clutch pedal in makes noise clutch pedal out doesn't make noise means throw out bearing. Mine is the other way around
When I push my clutch pedal all the way down the noise stops when clutch pedal is up the noise is there. When I'm driving. And I push the clutch pedal in to change gears the same noise appears. Hmmm that's weird.

So get this if I play with the clutch pedal engage and disgange I can make the noise go away and come back even in neutral. I can make it completely go away even with clutch pedal out or in. Weird right?

Please Simone help me out give me some ideas
Feel free to ask any questions and give some input
Flywheel or input shaft?
Also I took the transmission down to see if my input shaft was loose or wiggly and it's not.
Double checked pilot/throw out bearing both are good and greased.
Thanks in advanced
Old 08-01-2015, 06:49 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Flywheel or input shaft?

It's your input shaft bearing. Foot off noise is always the input shaft bearing.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea that's what I'm thinking.
But isn't it weird that it goes away if I play with the clutch pedal like if I where to help it get unstuck or somthing.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it possible for a flywheel to do this maybe it's warped and catching my clutch when it shouldn't?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:30 PM

No, and it isn't really weird. It's called intermittent failure. It happens sometimes.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What damages can happen if I drive around a few months with this noise
Would it wear out my clutch faster?
How long till it completely fails
Old 08-02-2015, 11:51 AM

When that bearing fails, it'll put more stress on other bearings inside the transmission. Then those bearings will fail, which wil start chewing up your gears, synchros, shafts... Cascade failure is no fun.

As for how long your transmission has left in it, it's anyone's guess. My own transmission went a bit over a year with that noise before I ripped it apart for an overhaul. I've ripped open transmissions that the owner has said "oh, so that's what that noise was, it only started two weeks ago" (the bearing had shattered, getting chunks wedged in a gear set and ******* it), and I have a friend who hasn't fixed his in 5 years. I've never been a fan of driving it until it breaks, but giving you an accurate answer to your last question isn't really possible. Just replace or repair it as soon as you can.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What happens if you put light pressure on the clutch pedal? aka, not enough to disengage the clutch, but enough to start squeezing the throwout? Sometimes throwouts are just loose an noisy.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
When that bearing fails, it'll put more stress on other bearings inside the transmission. Then those bearings will fail, which wil start chewing up your gears, synchros, shafts... Cascade failure is no fun.

As for how long your transmission has left in it, it's anyone's guess. My own transmission went a bit over a year with that noise before I ripped it apart for an overhaul. I've ripped open transmissions that the owner has said "oh, so that's what that noise was, it only started two weeks ago" (the bearing had shattered, getting chunks wedged in a gear set and ******* it), and I have a friend who hasn't fixed his in 5 years. I've never been a fan of driving it until it breaks, but giving you an accurate answer to your last question isn't really possible. Just replace or repair it as soon as you can.
Thanks for you help I'm glad I found actuall help on here I thought it was going to be full of trolls. 😀
I'm not a big fan of waiting for things to break neither so I would much rather have it fixed now..
One of my cousins is letting me borrow a transmission while I work on mine. I work on my car so I'm pretty good at fixing it but I've never even looked into a transmission.
How hard would you say it is to replace this bearing myself?
Any threads covering it? (Diy)
How about some tips from you since you have done it before hard easy what not to do?
I really appreciate your help.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Atomic1
What happens if you put light pressure on the clutch pedal? aka, not enough to disengage the clutch, but enough to start squeezing the throwout? Sometimes throwouts are just loose an noisy.
Nothing happens I have to push the pedal down at least half way in order for noise to stop or change.
Sometime after I push the pedal down quick and let it go noise quest down I noticed if I put my ear on my passenger side fender I can still hear the noise
Old 08-03-2015, 09:56 AM

There are threads out there for it, but your best DIY is going to be from the FSM. We aren't allowed to share links to it here, but if you punch "honda civic FSM download" into Google, click the second link, then download the top link (it says "reworked" on it), that'll give you exactly what you need.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
There are threads out there for it, but your best DIY is going to be from the FSM. We aren't allowed to share links to it here, but if you punch "honda civic FSM download" into Google, click the second link, then download the top link (it says "reworked" on it), that'll give you exactly what you need.
What bearings do you think I should change while I'm in there?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:33 PM

You have to dig pretty deep into the transmission to replace the input shaft bearing, so you might as well go ahead and replace all of the bearings, as well as the synchros, and the seals. You can get a master rebuild kit, with everything you need, from Synchrotech, for something like $650.