Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Flywheel, how light is too light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel, how light is too light?

Ok, as I am going to be doin a swap very soon, I am looking at clutches and fly wheels. I was looking at the ACT fly wheels, and am stuck between the streetlite and the prolite. Streetlite is 12.5lbs i believe and the prolite is like 8.8 or 8.5 lbs. Now, it seems to me that the pro would be better for road courses and rolling starts and such, while the street would be better for drag seeing as how it would keep up the momentum better being heavier.

What do yall run, and what do you recommend?
Old 04-11-2003, 06:59 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (BigZ88)

Choose the ProLite, if those are your two options.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of driving to plan on doing. If your doing more auto-x then go with the prolite, but if you plan on drag racing, then go with the streetlite.

I plan on getting the prolite just becuase I want the more responsive acceleration and a lighter rotating assembly.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (joe_bocc)

well, see i'm not sure what i want to do, i want acceleration when im driving more than anything. I'm sure it will see the drag strip a few times but not often at all, and probably never see auto-x and a while before it sees a road course. Just want to feel better acceleration
Old 04-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want the better acceleration then go with the prolite. I would
Old 04-11-2003, 08:14 PM

I am running the prolite one on my car right now. It weighed in at 8.5lbs. Runs very well with no issues. Get it.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (Na99Si)

Damn, 8.5lbs !!!??? Your revs will drop like a rock... you drive on the street much ?

X2
Old 04-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (X2BOARD)

Lets see..

I have the Toda (toduh) flywheel on my car, its about 9 lbs roughly I think and the revs are fine, no stalling, perfect idle.

It's all about the quality of the flywheel I think, I also have no grinds on my flywheel like some people with other "jdm" brand flywheels.

Toda =
Old 04-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (navin)

well ACT is a quality brand, and I have heard great things about their fly wheels, I am just trying to decide which one to get. What is the weight of a stock fly?

And why would my revs DROP? wouldnt i rev quite a bit faster?
Old 04-11-2003, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the lighter the better

im running the CM piece (7.5lbs) no problems, love it !

best for the buck/weight, CM & Fidanza
Old 04-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (hybrider93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrider93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the lighter the better
im running the CM piece (7.5lbs) no problems, love it !
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm running the CM FW also and it's good but I wouldn't put it in another street car. Mine weighed in at 6.25lbs. My car sometimes will stall on its own because the flywheel is so light. Dont get me wrong I enjoy the perf. that I get out of it, the car revs like a motorcycle, but its not the best for a daily driver. If those were your only 2 options I would go with the Streetlite. But if you were open to other brands I'd look for something in between the streetlite and prolite.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (hybrider93)

I just installed a prolite this morning in my d16z6 and I like it a lot. Totally streetable, for me at least. Revs do drop faster than with the old flywheel, but nothing that can't be dealt with. They also rise a lot faster too . It makes rev matching a lot more fun, and a lot easier because you don't have to hardly wait at all for the engine to catch up. I give it
Old 04-12-2003, 08:13 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (X2BOARD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, 8.5lbs !!!??? Your revs will drop like a rock... you drive on the street much ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You drive with an 8 lb. flywheel much? The effect is hardly as drastic as you seem to think.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (Padawan)

so what does a stock fly wheel weigh? anyone know?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigZ88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what does a stock fly wheel weigh? anyone know?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A stock B18C1 flywheel weights about 18 lbs. if my memory serves me correctly. As for others I have no idea.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (buskethead)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by buskethead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just installed a prolite this morning in my d16z6 and I like it a lot. Totally streetable, for me at least. Revs do drop faster than with the old flywheel, but nothing that can't be dealt with. They also rise a lot faster too . It makes rev matching a lot more fun, and a lot easier because you don't have to hardly wait at all for the engine to catch up. I give it </TD></TR></TABLE>

how hard was the install? i am thinking of doing the same thing. how long did it take you? could you give me some description of how much it helped?
Old 04-12-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joe_bocc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A stock B18C1 flywheel weights about 18 lbs. if my memory serves me correctly. As for others I have no idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, so even a streetlite shaves a good bit off. I am liking the ideas of the prolite though... I love to drive my car hard, and I'm trying to learn techniques for racing like heel/toe, and rev matching.... I think it would be cool to have one that light, but i wouldnt like it to stall. Has anyone had that problem with these?
Old 04-12-2003, 01:53 PM

I have a clutchmaster which weighed in around 7 lbs no complaints from it my car never stalled with it the only thing its ever did is sometimes if I put the a/c on when im just idling it cant hold the revs steady and I get the vaccum leak affect from it but other than that everything is just fine. I also just picked up a prolite gotta great deal on it and wanted to try something different in my gsr motor but havnt installed it yet.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You drive with an 8 lb. flywheel much? The effect is hardly as drastic as you seem to think. </TD></TR></TABLE>

there you go
Old 04-12-2003, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (zigs)

i just installed a prolite and it is awesome...... the revs are great. no difference in idle at all. BTW i installed it in a JDM B18C and it kicks ***
Old 04-12-2003, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Flywheel, how light is too light? (tek_civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tek_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how hard was the install? i am thinking of doing the same thing. how long did it take you? could you give me some description of how much it helped?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The install itself was not hard at all. I ran into a few problems here and there that just ended up taking me more time, but nothing too major. It ended up taking me about a full day to do. But now that I have done it, I could probably do it in 3 or 4 hours if everything goes smoothly.

I can't really give you a good description of how much it has helped yet, just because I am still breaking it in. But even the minimal amount of rev matching that I have done is much faster now. I will probably post up a full review once I get it broken in and maybe take it down to the track to get some times. I am hoping with this new clutch and flywheel I am going to break into the 14's
Old 04-13-2003, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To let everyone know, i believe that i have decided to go with the prolite. I was reading Grassroots and read the parts on clutch/flywheel weight and I believe that it will definately be a good thing for drag and track use.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey thanks, did you have trouble lining up the tranny? i hear thats the hardest part if your alone.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:30 PM

i've had spoon flywheel installed
it's great
revs do drop a bit fast though
Old 04-14-2003, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You drive with an 8 lb. flywheel much? The effect is hardly as drastic as you seem to think. </TD></TR></TABLE>

We seem to have a different opinion on 'drastic'. I drove (when I had it) my LS back to back with another LS with a 9lb flywheel and similar mods and the revs dropped (what I call) drastically during daily driving conditions. Mind you I don't shift very fast when not racing as I enjoy having smooth synchros.

Everyday rev matching was more difficult (I'm sure it takes getting used to) and pulling off was a bit more tedious. Accelleration did feel more brisk and responsive (although I wouldn't say 'drastically' different...lol) Overall I could easily notice that the car had a lightened fly, hell...I'm sure you prolly wouldn't notice 8-10lbs missing from your flywheel... but w/e you say.

X2 (Wishes he could afford a flywheel)

Quick Reply: Flywheel, how light is too light?