Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Flooding after Swap HELP No Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooding after Swap HELP No Start

So I swapped out my D16Y7 and auto tranny in my EJ6 for a D16Y8 and manual tranny (from the same year), and I have been stuck with a no start since. The problem is even after cranking for a few seconds it just reeks like gas as if it's flooding like crazy. When cranking with my foot off the pedal it just turns and turns and smells like gas, and then if I put my foot to the floor it'll sputter a tiny bit, but not really come close to starting, and then more flooding with foot off again.

Things I have tried/checked:
- timing is good
- it has spark
- changed spark plugs
- changed ECT sensor under distributor (two wire one)
- tried multiple ECU's
- tried a different regulator on fuel rail
- fuses in box under hood look fine
- no CEL's
- valve lash has been checked

Things that make me scratch my head:
- when I changed the regulator I undid the nut on the fuel rail to relieve pressure, and what seemed to be a ridiculous amount of gas came out. Once the pressure seemed to be relieved I disconnected the fuel return line, and EVEN MORE fuel poured out of it, but out of the hose end that runs to the tank, not from the rail side. And even after all the fuel was done streaming the hose kept making 'gargling' noises from the tank end.
- my spark tester shows that there is spark, but I'm not sure if it's strong enough or not. It has a small peanut bulb in it that lights up, but it doesn't seem to light up that brightly, although not sure if that's normal or what.
- I did the 3 wire to 2 wire IACV conversion like all the write-ups said, but all the write ups also said the 2 wire plug will have a green wire and a black wire, but mine are blue and yellow, which happened to be the colours on my harness already, so I just matched up the colours, but not sure if that's right or not.

So does anyone have any ideas why this thing is flooding so ridiculously, and why that return line had so much pressure? Is there something at the tank (sending unit?) that could be causing these issues? Or is there something I should be checking if I hooked up wrong or not at all?

Also is there any way to check how strong the spark is, as opposed to just having spark at all? And could having my IACV wired wrong cause a no start and all of this flooding? Any input is much appreciated.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Flooding after Swap HELP No Start

1) Do a spark test as described at the link in my signature. Spark should be bright white at all 4 plugs.

2) Measure the fuel pressure.

Also, are the spark plug wires connected in the correct firing order on the distributor cap. Are the injector plugs connected in the correct firing order?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
1) Do a spark test as described at the link in my signature. Spark should be bright white at all 4 plugs.

2) Measure the fuel pressure.

Also, are the spark plug wires connected in the correct firing order on the distributor cap. Are the injector plugs connected in the correct firing order?
Alright, thanks, I'll check the spark using a spark plug to see the color of the spark. And I'm 99% sure on the plug wires being in the correct firing order.

Now the injectors I had labelled somewhat, but how do I make sure I have them in the right order? I noticed they all seemed to have different colored wires, is there a list somewhere that shows their order? I will also have to find a fuel pressure tester to see what exactly the fuel pressure is at.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Inj1-Brn
Inj2-Red
Inj3-Blu
Inj4-Yel

Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, I checked the firing order and my injectors are hooked up correctly. Where should I go from here?