Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fixing Turn Signal Sockets & Pigtails (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Fixing Turn Signal Sockets & Pigtails (solved)

Long story short I'm gradually making my way through my car and correcting all the mistakes the colossal idiot of an owner before me had "wired".

It looks like when he was trying to install some generic fog lights (they weren't even for a Civic), he tried tapping into the corner lights for power.

I can find the part # for the socket, but is there any way to get the pigtails included, or a way I can pull those wires out of those sockets? Basically I just need to fix that wiring, it's screwing with my turn signals (one runs very fast).

If they don't sell the sockets with the pigtails I'd imagine there'd have to be a way to pull the wires out, but I can't figure out how.

Edit: Forgot pictures. bonus shot of all the other wiring I pulled from his electrical spaghetti.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default re: Fixing Turn Signal Sockets & Pigtails (solved)

It's a two-part setup. The black or white part where the wires go in will detach from the gray part that holds the bulb.

The bulb holder can be easily bought separately, but yours are probably OK so no need to replace them. The plug part with the wires is where your problem is, in particular it looks like some of the wires are frayed right where they meet the plug. It is officially only replaced by replacing the whole harness. You can do that, or cut just the plugs out of a parts car, leaving plenty of good wire. Then splice them to your harness using solder, shrink tube, and tape.

The lights will blink fast if one of the bulbs does not work. This is an intentional feature to alert the driver. It could also be the rear bulb that is not working. Corrosion of the rear sockets is common.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default re: Fixing Turn Signal Sockets & Pigtails (solved)

Originally Posted by mk378
It's a two-part setup. The black or white part where the wires go in will detach from the gray part that holds the bulb.

The bulb holder can be easily bought separately, but yours are probably OK so no need to replace them. The plug part with the wires is where your problem is, in particular it looks like some of the wires are frayed right where they meet the plug. It is officially only replaced by replacing the whole harness. You can do that, or cut just the plugs out of a parts car, leaving plenty of good wire. Then splice them to your harness using solder, shrink tube, and tape.

The lights will blink fast if one of the bulbs does not work. This is an intentional feature to alert the driver. It could also be the rear bulb that is not working. Corrosion of the rear sockets is common.
Thanks man.

A mod can go ahead and close this topic. I'll go ahead and just pull a "new" socket from a junkyard and splice it in properly with solder and heat shrink. That seems to be my best option to fix this.

Also, I know the lights normally blink fast to indicate a failed bulb, but this one is definitely caused by some of those effed up wires lol.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Fixing Turn Signal Sockets & Pigtails

Originally Posted by Chance EG
A mod can go ahead and close this topic.
Okay