Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First time civic buyer question about 6th gen..

Old 08-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time civic buyer question about 6th gen..

I've been looking around for a civic ex 99-00. I want a 5speed coupe.
My question is that does the 99-00 coupe come with ABS as an option for manual transmission? I was reading around but not sure if the manual has the option.

If not I was thinking of going for the 7th gen instead.

Thanks,

Hoping to be a civic owner soon
Old 08-25-2008, 06:37 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: First time civic buyer question about 6th gen.. (mr_panda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr_panda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My question is that does the 99-00 coupe come with ABS as an option for manual transmission?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No. '99-00 2dr EX-ABS was available with automatic transmission only.

If you decide to buy a 7th-gen, do yourself a favor and look for an '03 or newer. '01-02 Civics have a lot of problems. I'd take a 6th-gen without ABS over any '01-02.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 PM

Thanks man. I didn't really know about 01-02 having problems. Thanks for the heads up
Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First time civic buyer question about 6th gen.. (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No. '99-00 2dr EX-ABS was available with automatic transmission only.

If you decide to buy a 7th-gen, do yourself a favor and look for an '03 or newer. '01-02 Civics have a lot of problems. I'd take a 6th-gen without ABS over any '01-02.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow thats wrong considering that i have 94 civic EX sitting at my shop that has ABS and is a 5spd. i would say that it was optional.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
be professional

Default Re: First time civic buyer question about 6th gen.. (Speed_1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed_1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow thats wrong considering that i have 94 civic EX sitting at my shop that has ABS and is a 5spd. i would say that it was optional.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Since when is a '94 a '99 or '00?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed_1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow thats wrong considering that i have 94 civic EX sitting at my shop that has ABS and is a 5spd. i would say that it was optional.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Since when is a '94 a '99 or '00? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha Speed_1 definitely didn't read careufully
Old 08-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: First time civic buyer question about 6th gen.. (rarrior23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rarrior23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Haha Speed_1 definitely didn't read careufully </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah he just meant, why would they include ABS with 5 speed in a 94 and not a 99-00 with 5 speed.

If anything the newer cars should have more options than older ones.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First time civic buyer question about 6th gen.. (sageuvagony)

I stand corrected.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rarrior23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I stand corrected.</TD></TR></TABLE>

About what? He wasn't wrong or right in anything. Again, he was just stating his opinion that it's weird that they would offer that combo back then and not now. I think it's strange as well.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He wasn't wrong or right in anything. Again, he was just stating his opinion that it's weird that they would offer that combo back then and not now.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have no idea whose post you were reading, so here it is again:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed_1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow thats wrong considering that i have 94 civic EX sitting at my shop that has ABS and is a 5spd. i would say that it was optional.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Umm, yeah. Since when did facts become opinions?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, yea i feel like an idiot, i miss read that. i thought targa250r said 92-00. my mistake. but then again why would they offer it in the previous years and then skip it. then again they completely skip the whole Si model in 96-98, so i dont know.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:09 PM
be professional

Default Re: First time civic buyer question about 6th gen.. (Speed_1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed_1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL, yea i feel like an idiot, i miss read that. i thought targa250r said 92-00. my mistake. but then again why would they offer it in the previous years and then skip it. then again they completely skip the whole Si model in 96-98, so i dont know.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Honda has made a number of nonsensical choices in regards to model equipment offerings over the years. I've studied it heavily and still can't figure out the reasoning behind some of their decisions.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He actually used the word WRONG, but either way that's weird. It really bothers me that I bought an si instead of a gsr for just that reason... Why wouldn't the si have ABS?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 PM

If the SI had ABS, man I would get one in a heartbeat. It's just I drive a camry right now and the last couple of years it's been raining in the fall in cali and I've had some rough times without abs under regular breaking situations. :-(
Old 08-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (mr_panda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr_panda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the SI had ABS, man I would get one in a heartbeat. It's just I drive a camry right now and the last couple of years it's been raining in the fall in cali and I've had some rough times without abs under regular breaking situations. :-(</TD></TR></TABLE>

No offense, but your doing it wrong. I drive a '94 civic sedan, 4 wheel discs no ABS (I added the rears discs, thats why no ABS), I drive in snow and ice for 5 months of the year and I have no problems. You just have to know how to brake, thats all. hardly anything i've ever driven had ABS and i've really never had any trouble getting stopped. Rain is an absolute joke to drive in, you've gotta slow down a little sometimes, but it shouldn't be a challenge to drive in.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

About what? He wasn't wrong or right in anything. Again, he was just stating his opinion that it's weird that they would offer that combo back then and not now. I think it's strange as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I stand corrected on the fact that I thought he just didn't read it when all in all he was just stating his opinion, apparently.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No offense, but your doing it wrong. I drive a '94 civic sedan, 4 wheel discs no ABS (I added the rears discs, thats why no ABS), I drive in snow and ice for 5 months of the year and I have no problems. You just have to know how to brake, thats all. hardly anything i've ever driven had ABS and i've really never had any trouble getting stopped. Rain is an absolute joke to drive in, you've gotta slow down a little sometimes, but it shouldn't be a challenge to drive in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You think rain is hard to drive in, try snow. We get tons of snow in South Dakota every winter and with no ABS it's pretty hard to brake in. Just got to be sure to pump your brakeso you don't lock them up.

I remember last Christmas I was driving from Brookings to Sioux Falls with my family to see my grandma. I was in my Civic with my sister and my dad and mom were in our Audi A6 4.2. Anyways, the drive should normally take about 45 minutes. It took us almost 3 hours because of how bad the snow was. At one point there was traffic backed up really far in one lane and we couldn't see because of the snow. So we had to swerve in to the other lane real quick then hit the brakes so I wouldn't hit the other people in the left lane. I almost went in to the ditch but thankfully I stopped just before hitting a stopped car. That was scary as hell.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rarrior23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rarrior23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You think rain is hard to drive in, try snow. We get tons of snow in South Dakota every winter and with no ABS it's pretty hard to brake in. Just got to be sure to pump your brakeso you don't lock them up.

I remember last Christmas I was driving from Brookings to Sioux Falls with my family to see my grandma. I was in my Civic with my sister and my dad and mom were in our Audi A6 4.2. Anyways, the drive should normally take about 45 minutes. It took us almost 3 hours because of how bad the snow was. At one point there was traffic backed up really far in one lane and we couldn't see because of the snow. So we had to swerve in to the other lane real quick then hit the brakes so I wouldn't hit the other people in the left lane. I almost went in to the ditch but thankfully I stopped just before hitting a stopped car. That was scary as hell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Snow is easy to drive in if you take your time and give yourself alot of distance while braking. my car doesnt have ABS and it drives great in the snow/rain. and we get alot of snow in nova scotia (canada) too.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Snow is not bad to drive in, but ice really kills it. I slid into 2 ditches this past winter due to ice underneath the snow
Old 08-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sde780)

studded tires if the weather was really bad, i slept in anyways ( if i couldnt find my car under the snow)
Old 08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (Pothole987)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pothole987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Snow is easy to drive in if you take your time and give yourself alot of distance while braking. my car doesnt have ABS and it drives great in the snow/rain. and we get alot of snow in nova scotia (canada) too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, i'm in new brunswick so obviously the weather is pretty similar and i've never had any trouble.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM

well it's also coz it's a toyota.....

P.S ABS doesn't always stop u faster in the snow. Sometimes you stop faster when yr wheels lock and it gathers a pile of snow in the front of the wheels (more kinetic friction). :-)
Old 08-26-2008, 02:33 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2055230
Old 08-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First time civic buyer question about 6th gen.. (mr_panda)

Snow around town is easy to drive in, but this was ridiculous. People were passing when we couldn't even see 5 feet in front of us. We were going 25 mph on the interstate.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

drive an 87 civic si in snow with bald tires all the way around, no abs, no traction control, no control at all, then come talk to me haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First time civic buyer question about 6th gen..