Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First rebuild finished, won't start!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First rebuild finished, won't start!

I just finished my rebuild 'cause I spun a bearing, everything is stock and OEM. The motor is a '90 JDM b16A in my '97 Del Sol with a P30 ECU. It was all wired up when I bought it from the previous owner.

1st issue, went to start it, the starter just makes a tick, noise. One tick each time the key is turned to the "start" position. Could it have just failed by taking it out for a week and putting it back in??

2nd, the OBDII scanner is reporting 1 error code already "0113- IAT Sensor Circuit High Input" - I'm not sure what that means.

Last - There is a two pin plug on the far left toward the firewall that doesn't appear to go to anything? I'll take a pic later, but I can't remember if it was plugged in before or not.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: First rebuild finished, won't start!

Originally Posted by mhohisel
I just finished my rebuild 'cause I spun a bearing, everything is stock and OEM. The motor is a '90 JDM b16A in my '97 Del Sol with a P30 ECU. It was all wired up when I bought it from the previous owner.

1st issue, went to start it, the starter just makes a tick, noise. One tick each time the key is turned to the "start" position. Could it have just failed by taking it out for a week and putting it back in??

2nd, the OBDII scanner is reporting 1 error code already "0113- IAT Sensor Circuit High Input" - I'm not sure what that means.

Last - There is a two pin plug on the far left toward the firewall that doesn't appear to go to anything? I'll take a pic later, but I can't remember if it was plugged in before or not.
normally, a single click is due to the battery. if you heard a "machine gun" clicking, then thats probably the starter.

Also, the IAT is the Intake Air Temperature sensor, it has to do with the air:fuel ratio, but wont be the problem as far as not starting.

As for the 2-prong plug, you said left side, is that passenger or driver? Because the IAT sensor uses a 2-prong connector. OBS2 IAT sensors are located on the air intake tubing, but since you have an obd0 motor, the IAT will be located on the back side of the intake manifold.

Did you do all of the conversion from OBD2 to OBD0? The connectors coming from the motor will not be the same as the connectors on your harness. I mean the distributor, and the intake manifold connectors mainly, there might be some other random ones that wont match up.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing that two pin connector is for the power steering rack. Is it round?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought it was the battery too, but I connected an A/C battery charger and set it to the 50 Amp "Engine Start" position, and the same "one-click" thing happened.The OBD0-OBD2 conversion was done already when I bought the car.

The 2 prong connector is on the passanger side by the battery/fusebox. I'll take pics when I get home tonight. As far as I know, it is the only thing that isn't plugged in.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought it was the battery too, but I connected an A/C battery charger and set it to the 50 Amp "Engine Start" position, and the same "one-click" thing happened.The OBD0-OBD2 conversion was done already when I bought the car.

The 2 prong connector is on the passanger side by the battery/fusebox. I'll take pics when I get home tonight. As far as I know, it is the only thing that isn't plugged in.
Do you have this connector located on the rear of the intake manifold plugged in?

the normal color of the IAT sensor is a white/cream color.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

grounds?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ChokolAwt
grounds?
Probably not for a single click while trying to start.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The wire that I can't find the plug is blue-red stripe and white-red stripe. Also, on the far left of the intake there is the map sensor, and behind it there is a round three plug sensor behind the throttle. There's only two more sensors on the intake, one on the back by the firewall: a two pin blue-yellow and yellow-black plug, and one on the #1 cyl intake is a yellow-black and red plug.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The wire that I can't find the plug is blue-red stripe and white-red stripe. Also, on the far left of the intake there is the map sensor, and behind it there is a round three plug sensor behind the throttle. There's only two more sensors on the intake, one on the back by the firewall: a two pin blue-yellow and yellow-black plug, and one on the #1 cyl intake is a yellow-black and red plug.
On the intake manifold area for an OBD0 engine there is...

-IACV 2-prong
-Map sensor 2-prong
-TPS 3-prong
-IAT 2-prong (identical to the IACV plug)

Im not too familiar with the obd2 stuff, but you need to plug in these primary things, whatever connectors are left over are going to be useless. As long as you have the correct ecu for the engine, you should be fine.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well its starting up fine now, however its having problems going in gear.

With the engine off, the shifter moves normally.

In neutral, start the engine, press the clutch, the shifter will NOT go into ANY gear, it shift perfectly smooth the second the engine is shut off.

Put the shifter to "R", fully press the clutch in, the car starts rolling backwards as the starter is cranking, if you let out the clutch, it dies. I'm stumped!

Its a hydro tranny, help??
Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd try bleeding the clutch... did somebody step on the clutch pedal while the motor was out?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea try bleeding clutch this happen to me in the past..