Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Mods

I was thinking about putting on a header and exhaust system, intake, and lowering springs as the first mod. My local import shop estimated me about $800-$900(i already have the header), are these what is should be looking for first or should i be looking for something different

I have a '98 Civic EX
Old 10-26-2004, 10:25 AM

you should save that money for a swap.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Mods (simmons442)

Do what you want. That's my official statement on the matter. The TOS for the forum says you should search and check out the site and not make general questions such as this, but since you asked with certian questions, I'll bite.

800-900 is rediculous for what you're trying to get. A cat back exhaust should be somewhere between 200-500 dollars, depending on what you get (custom vs. pre-fab) and springs run somewhere around 150 dollars.

If you can turn a wrench at all you can install a header and an exhaust in less than an afternoon. Springs aern't hard either if your brave enough to do it.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:28 AM

Default Re: First Mods (Ricey McRicerton)

springs and struts are simple to replace. get a manual and from there its gravy.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Save up for a swap don't waste $$$ on anything else, unless it's a bodykit or a 4ft. wing for your FWD!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:33 AM

I/H/E and springs sounds like a pretty good start. after that it really depends whether you want to go all motor, forced induction, or go looks and get a body kit or something
Old 10-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For $900 you could put together a turbokit.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:50 AM

Default Re: First Mods (Archidictus)

that you could but the thing is he probably dont know that much about turbos or tuning or anything like that.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:50 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Mods (Archidictus)

turbo
Old 10-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

900$ for 10 hp. not worth it IMO. save for turbo kit or get nitrous.

get a ride in a turboed/nitroused civic. then ride in a I/H/E civic. you'll kick your own *** for ever thinking of I/H/E.

I know I did.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you're spending that much ($900), i'd personally upgrade the suspension as much as possible (coilovers, sway bars, etc).

what are you planning to do with this car anyways?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Re: First Mods (jboy08)

50 shot of nitrous
Old 10-26-2004, 11:08 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say suspension upgrades and learning the limits of your car is always a good option before adding more power than you might be able to handle.

If you plan on swapping eventually then you may want to hold off on parts that won't swap over to the motor you plan to swap to.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:14 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: First Mods (SprayinR21)

I know alot of you are recommending turbo or nitrous as good mods for his $900 that he has to spend, but you have to remember two things.

1) These are his first mods. He is saying that he will be getting a shop to put on his header, springs, etc...therefore, there is no way that he will know how to install a custom turbo kit on his car, let alone find good deals on the parts. I'm willing to bet that 1 out of a 100 people on this thread know how to install a custom turbo kit properly.

2) You are recommending these radical high performance upgrades out of hindsight. If you think back, what were your first mods before you became the knowledgeable enthusiasts that you are today? Probably, I/E and some light suspension work like springs.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simmons442 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was thinking about putting on a header and exhaust system, intake, and lowering springs as the first mod. My local import shop estimated me about $800-$900(i already have the header), are these what is should be looking for first or should i be looking for something different
I have a '98 Civic EX</TD></TR></TABLE>

To the original poster, IMO I/H/E and lowering springs are a good start for your honda. You'll have a little more power than stock and you'll be able to navigate through turns alot better. Instead of getting a shop to install your parts, you should buy a helms manual, get a good tool set and spend the weekend modding your car. You'll learn a hell of a lot about how cars work and you'll feel really proud. You might save a little money in the process too
Old 10-26-2004, 11:18 AM

ive put together 2 turbo kits for stock d16s and i do agree with you that this guy is just starting and dont know much and i agree with intake and cat-back exhaust and some nice coilovers, but if he knew someone that knew some about cars a 50 shot of nitrous wouldnt be too bad for the car either
Old 10-26-2004, 11:31 AM

Default Re: First Mods (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know alot of you are recommending turbo or nitrous as good mods for his $900 that he has to spend, but you have to remember two things.

1) These are his first mods. He is saying that he will be getting a shop to put on his header, springs, etc...therefore, there is no way that he will know how to install a custom turbo kit on his car, let alone find good deals on the parts. I'm willing to bet that 1 out of a 100 people on this thread know how to install a custom turbo kit properly.

2) You are recommending these radical high performance upgrades out of hindsight. If you think back, what were your first mods before you became the knowledgeable enthusiasts that you are today? Probably, I/E and some light suspension work like springs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Learning how to mod your own car is always best for a beginner to learner more about their own car. Helps to strengthen their confidence to do later upgrades/mods themselves. Of course doing your own research is the key. My first mod was replacing the cut springs that the previous owner had put on my 94 ex. I didn't know anything about. Friend gave me his manual and said here you go, call me when its all done. The one thing I missed was that the mounting bracket needs an allen wrench to help remove the size 14mm nut. I nearly replaced the whole assembly, when a clerk at autozone pointed it out, haha. Now I'm doing a b16 swap. yeah yeah a b16 because its all I can afford....
Old 10-26-2004, 11:38 AM

i would install it my self and use the $900 for something else.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$900 is to much to install those things period.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know alot of you are recommending turbo or nitrous as good mods for his $900 that he has to spend, but you have to remember two things.

2) You are recommending these radical high performance upgrades out of hindsight. If you think back, what were your first mods before you became the knowledgeable enthusiasts that you are today? Probably, I/E and some light suspension work like springs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And out of this hindsight, it would have saved US and HIM money in the long run - so why let this guy learn the hard way??

So to the OP: What are your plans for the vehicle?

If you plan to swap, I/H/E for the SOHC ain't gonna work with the DOHC....so pay a little money now to go a little faster (which is still slow in the grander scheme of things) or wait and save, do the swap and be that much further ahead of the game and that much faster.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:02 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: First Mods (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And out of this hindsight, it would have saved US and HIM money in the long run - so why let this guy learn the hard way??
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let this guy learn the hard way? What are you talking about? The best way to learn is to start with the easier stuff. It's like anything in life. You can't run if you don't know how to walk. You can't install a turbo kit if you don't know how to install an intake.

If he wants to actually learn and do mods himself, telling this guy to install a turbo kit right away is bad advice. Period.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:04 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you plan to swap, I/H/E for the SOHC ain't gonna work with the DOHC....so pay a little money now to go a little faster (which is still slow in the grander scheme of things) or wait and save, do the swap and be that much further ahead of the game and that much faster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is good advice. Your D16z6 parts won't work on any B series motor and chances are you'll develop an urge to swap after you get tired of your power output.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 PM

I say to do what you want and spend what you want, but get your money's owrth and do your own work. For me that is what this is about.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:58 PM

Get some good tires, brakes, and a decent suspension set-up. IMO, it's very important to set a good platform for future mods.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: First Mods (Dr. Gonzo)

Get the swap out of the way. Then save up again for the rest.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Economic Upturn, WUT

Default Re: First Mods (StrikerX)

just turbo your D series, produce more power then all of these swaps .. well most of them, you could build your own for 1000$.

::EDIT::

didn't read down farther, header would be simple, as would exhaust. Springs you just need a compressor for them, but go with coilovers so you can adjust dampness and ride height, camber kit, sway bars, all of the goodies to stiffin up your car.

Quick Reply: First Mods