Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First Honda, Need advice/help

Old 03-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Honda, Need advice/help

I just purchased a 96 Civic HX. First off I'd like to let everyone know that I'm not planning on any kind of forced induction or nitrous, all I want for this car is to have a respectable amount of power while maintaining reliability.

I do plan on buying quality parts and taking my time and doing this right. I'm 36 and this is going to be my hobby car. I'm not planning on racing everything on the road at every red light.

According to the guy I bought it from the motor has a B20b block (confirmed), b16 SI head, and GS-R LSD transmission. It has a short ram intake, fuel pressure regulator, adjustable cam gears, racing injectors ( size unknown yet ), DC Sport Ceramic headers and complete exhaust system, Skunk 2 adjustable coil overs, a blue Hondata tuner box ( supposedly installed but not tuned and running in bypass mode), it does not have power steering, but does have A/C.

My questions are how do I identify my components so that I can buy the correct parts for maintenance and/or upgrades? And how do I tell if the Hondata system is truly installed and should I get it tuned if it is or wait until I replace the stock ECU. I'd also like to replace/upgrade the brakes ASAP without breaking the bank or doing to many modifications to the knuckles. And lastly ( for now anyway ) the exhaust is super irritating, I'd like to replace it with something a lot more mellow without losing too much performance.

So if anyone has any thoughts, ideas, or more questions for me I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks

Last edited by DirtyJeedai; 03-22-2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 03-22-2015, 07:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Im not reading that
Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Honda, Need advice/help

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Im not reading that
Sorry it was so long. After reading other posts I figured I'd have as much info as possible to avoid unnecessary questions. My bad
Old 03-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyJeedai
Sorry it was so long. After reading other posts I figured I'd have as much info as possible to avoid unnecessary questions. My bad
It's not the quantity of the post or information, it's the lack of formatting into paragraphs.

You did use punctuation so it wasn't as bad as one long *** run on sentence. However it would be easier to read if it's broken up into separate paragraphs.

If you edit your first post and add some formatting, I'm sure you will receive better responses.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

As for motor parts you have a b20 vtec

Anything you need from the head will he for an acura integra gsr

Anything for the block will be a honda crv part

If the motor isnt running really rich i would leave the blue box alone for now.

Set a budget and pick what you want to fix first.

I would have the motor tuned for what you are going to be using the car for.

Neptune, hondata both offer a piggy back that installs into any obd1 ecu. Tuning for those systems usually run around 2-300 dollars. Getting a solid tune on the motor will make your life easy.

Good luck
Old 03-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
As for motor parts you have a b20 vtec

Anything you need from the head will he for an acura integra gsr

Anything for the block will be a honda crv part

If the motor isnt running really rich i would leave the blue box alone for now.

Set a budget and pick what you want to fix first.

I would have the motor tuned for what you are going to be using the car for.

Neptune, hondata both offer a piggy back that installs into any obd1 ecu. Tuning for those systems usually run around 2-300 dollars. Getting a solid tune on the motor will make your life easy.

Good luck
I wouldn't get parts for a 1.6 SI head? Or are the 1.8 GS-R parts interchangeable?