Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First Honda build~4-door EG D16Y7

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Honda build~4-door EG D16Y7

Here's the story, gas became too much in my 4x4 truck so i began looking into small cars. I was on the way to buy a stock 95 Civic EX when my buddy called me and said his manager's friend was selling his boosted 95 Civic 4-door. It was the same price so i bought it. I've been driving it for a while and have done a few small things. As a graduation present my parents got the car painted for me. I got it back with a blown HG, so i replaced it and it really sparked my interest from there. I wish i could have started this thread from the beginning but i never intended on taking it this far.

I decided the best way to really learn was to jump in and build an engine. So i found a disassembled D16Y7 on craigslist with H-beam Rods and Vitara 75.5 pistons. It came complete minus a head. He also threw in the tranny for free too.

I've really got a few questions. My Engine currently is a JDM D15b Vtec with the code P2J. It really needs replaced because the bolt holes for the motor mount in the drivers side are stripped out, and the cylinder head is warped. So what i need to know is which would be a better route as far as a head for my Y7 goes, get my D15b head decked, or use the D16z6 head i recently purchased. Opinons are greatly appreciated, and i will have many more pic's and questions in the near future
Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still learning myself about cars and I'm currently learning a lot on her so ill be following your thread but I love the ride. glad to see some more 4door projects like mine. Congrats on the car and good luck

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Honda build~4-door EG D16Y7

Originally Posted by EGxBoostFiend
I've really got a few questions. My Engine currently is a JDM D15b Vtec with the code P2J. It really needs replaced because the bolt holes for the motor mount in the drivers side are stripped out, and the cylinder head is warped. So what i need to know is which would be a better route as far as a head for my Y7 goes, get my D15b head decked, or use the D16z6 head i recently purchased. Opinons are greatly appreciated, and i will have many more pic's and questions in the near future
Id go with the z6 head. If you sell the D15B you could probably make a bit of money off that to fix the motor mount(unless their block holes that are stripped.) If you dont already have one then I suggest getting a P28 ECU to run your new engine, if you go with the z6 head.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toni_the_kid
I'm still learning myself about cars and I'm currently learning a lot on her so ill be following your thread but I love the ride. glad to see some more 4door projects like mine. Congrats on the car and good luck

Cool man. I'm not exactly new to cars, I built a 460 police interceptor a few years ago. So as of now I understand the hardware parts of my car but still really lack knowledge of all the electrical component's. But yeah man these honda's are new to me and I love them so far. Love to see some pics of your car.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: First Honda build~4-door EG D16Y7

Originally Posted by strykr89
Id go with the z6 head. If you sell the D15B you could probably make a bit of money off that to fix the motor mount(unless their block holes that are stripped.) If you dont already have one then I suggest getting a P28 ECU to run your new engine, if you go with the z6 head.
Really appreciate the input. I've decided I really need to research more about ECU's before I go much further. My D15b is OBD2, but my ECU is OBD1 along with my wiring harness. I Wont ask any stupid questions until I really look into what it's going to take to run OBD1 back in the car. I'm sure it has an OBD1 ecu but I need to go check Which one. I'm assuming it will say. The ECU stuff really confuse's me at this point
Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck to you, i should have done this get a new engine and build it myself but i already bought with a b20 and now i am pretty much stuck there,i want to see what you do with this SUBSCRIBED!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really appreciate the input. I've decided I really need to research more about ECU's before I go much further. My D15b is OBD2, but my ECU is OBD1 along with my wiring harness. I Wont ask any stupid questions until I really look into what it's going to take to run OBD1 back in the car. I'm sure it has an OBD1 ecu but I need to go check Which one. I'm assuming it will say. The ECU stuff really confuse's me at this point
Just incase you dont know where the ECU is on a civic, its behind the the passenger kick panel. Once you have the ecu unbolted just look at the sticker on the side of it, then run the ecu code to find out which one you have. But factory your car has a OBDI harness, so as long as you have the ODBI engine wire harness it will just plug in to the main connector at the shock tower.

There are people willing to help, but also a lot that just make fun of people that dont know everything about Honda's or they just say research.

Good luck and make sure to keep this build thread informed, so those of us that can give you advice on questions you have will help.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dmak92eg
good luck to you, i should have done this get a new engine and build it myself but i already bought with a b20 and now i am pretty much stuck there,i want to see what you do with this SUBSCRIBED!
Thanks dude! Yeah i'm kinda the same way about my turbo, looking back i kinda wish i would have bought that super clean 97,xxx bone stock 95 Civic EX for $2400 i was on the way to get. But eventually i'd like to redo mine anyways with one of those kits off Go-Autoworks. But there's always stuff you can do, if your motor's already nice you could do a tuck or suspension stuff. I want to get around to those eventually. Thanks for the subscription!

Originally Posted by strykr89
Just incase you dont know where the ECU is on a civic, its behind the the passenger kick panel. Once you have the ecu unbolted just look at the sticker on the side of it, then run the ecu code to find out which one you have. But factory your car has a OBDI harness, so as long as you have the ODBI engine wire harness it will just plug in to the main connector at the shock tower.

There are people willing to help, but also a lot that just make fun of people that dont know everything about Honda's or they just say research.

Good luck and make sure to keep this build thread informed, so those of us that can give you advice on questions you have will help.
Awesome man, this is dumb but i was stuck thinking of how to get my harness back to OBDI, I don't know why i hadn't considered just buying another harness. I'm not exactly sure i need one yet, the guy that put the motor in my car didn't actually change to a different harness, he told me he changed distributors and a few other things. I'm just not sure what else that would be, i think i read something about the IAC. I've been trying to find a thread about how to do that but most people just buy a jumper harness so it's kind of hard to find. I'm not sure if it would be more cost effective/easy to get a new one or to fix mine. But this is Finals week for me so i've just been reading threads in between studying.

But yeah, i realize that there's probably not much you can do to a Civic that hasn't already been covered atleast a dozen times on HT already. The information is all here. And thanks man, I've been spending alot of time on here everyday just reading threads, but i'm still a noob so bear with me LOL.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: My car was leaking anti-freeze from under the head too bad to drive these past few days. It had a HG with less that 3k miles on it so i figured the head was most likely warped. Our semester ended yesterday and i got alot accomplished today, the guy i bought my Z6 Head from threw in a set of Skunk2 coilovers for the front. I replaced my ebay adjustable sleeve's with them today. I also got my Head off today. The town i live in only has like a Mcdonalds, a Bank and a court house, so dad's going to drop the head off for me to get milled in Lexington tommorrow on his way to work. I figured i would go ahead and measure my main bearings today, i got .0012 an all but the 2nd main which was .0014. I figured that was a little tight and that i should go a size down on the bearings.

Today's progress:

I've been gettin parts ready for my y7 block. I've been using mostly Rock Auto to get the small stuff, they're dirt cheap on the same stuff you get at Auto Zone/Carquest. I also got those Downstar engine bolt kits, those look awesome. I'm getting alot closer on it, i still need to buy a piston ring tool.

Can anybody give me an opinion on this Intake? Anybody know what brand makes it? I was thinking Emusa but i'd like to know for sure
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The intake is Ebay garbage.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
The intake is Ebay garbage.
Okay, guy i bought the Head from gave that to me too. I'd never seen one before
Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:

Cool man. I'm not exactly new to cars, I built a 460 police interceptor a few years ago. So as of now I understand the hardware parts of my car but still really lack knowledge of all the electrical component's. But yeah man these honda's are new to me and I love them so far. Love to see some pics of your car.

ill have to post some for u. its all stock and bodys I'm pretty good condition. got it for 800. its a project for now cause it needs a water pump. ima start on it probably next month bc money is tight due to Christmas lol. ill try to get u some pics for soon man. sorry to hear about the warped head.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill have to post some for u. its all stock and bodys I'm pretty good condition. got it for 800. its a project for now cause it needs a water pump. ima start on it probably next month bc money is tight due to Christmas lol. ill try to get u some pics for soon man. sorry to hear about the warped head.

Yeah man thats awesome. It amazes me how cheap these Civic's are. I would love to get one for under a grand and do one from the ground up somtime. If mine wasn't a DD I could get alot more into it. Whats your goal for yours?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeing your sedan, makes me miss mine ):

Good luck with your build
Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:

Yeah man thats awesome. It amazes me how cheap these Civic's are. I would love to get one for under a grand and do one from the ground up somtime. If mine wasn't a DD I could get alot more into it. Whats your goal for yours?
I'm planning on redoing the suspention to all new and leaving the body stock for now. then I'm going to do a ls boost project and keep it as a dd. then ill start on the body but it'll be clean and nothing ricey. ill start a build tread around late January if u wanna follow. you can make yours a fun clean good looking dd. that's my plan so far. still have a lot of planning to do before I start

Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rawrxdino8
Seeing your sedan, makes me miss mine ):

Good luck with your build
Appriciate it! yeah i've got friends with hatch's and coupe's but i've always loved the sedans. I always got more than 2 people with me everywhere i go.

I'm planning on redoing the suspention to all new and leaving the body stock for now. then I'm going to do a ls boost project and keep it as a dd. then ill start on the body but it'll be clean and nothing ricey. ill start a build tread around late January if u wanna follow. you can make yours a fun clean good looking dd. that's my plan so far. still have a lot of planning to do before I start

Hell yeah i'll follow you dude!

This weekend i mostly still worked on my warped head issue. Alot of my work on this car has consisted 60% of research though. I always just did my timing the ghetto way, C-clamping the belt to the lower crank pulley and marking the cam gear and tbelt. I noticed this time my wark was 2 teeth of so i want to make sure everthings correct when i put it back together.

Late last night my buddy helped me check some different main bearings. They were better but still not great. I got .0015 on all but the 2nd and 4th mains, which were still too tight at .001. How do you guys know what bearings to buy? Do you use micrometers or get your machinist to measure? I think the only micrometer im going to be able to afford is going to be a pittsburg and i'm not sure i trust one that cheap.

I was buying plasti-gauge at Advance Auto when i saw that VHT flameproof stuff. I bought a can and tried it on my downpipe. I plan on replacing it soon so i just wanted to know how it would turn out. It say's its good up to 2000 degree's. If it works good i'll probably do my turbine housing and manifold as well. Here's a pic, it looks sexy compared to the crappy rusty look before.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

coming together nicely
Old 12-23-2012, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's been a minute since i've updated my build. Alot of stuffs changed, i'm moving to North Carolina here in a couple months. So my first priority was to get my Civic 100% reliable and ready to drive that far on a monthly basis. As of now i've done 3 headgaskets in the last 3 months on the motor in the car. I just finished one yeterday. All of them have leaked in the same exact spot, between the Head and the block under the front waterneck. I had the head totally redone, the surface was milled completely flat, i got a OEM honda d16z6 gasket, and torqued my studs to the exact specs. The car still leaks. I'm thinking a warped block? Has anyone heard of them doing this? My machinist said that is was pretty rare that the block would warp. I'm just totally bummed right now. I'm thinking my next option is to get my Y7 put together and in the car as fast as possible. Anyone have any advice?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your block could be warped if its still leaking in the same spot after 3 times and the ead was milled flat. Id say put the vtec head on the y7 and get it running good with no leaks (:

But on a side note ive always loved the sedan too, i picked mine up for 600 with a blown hg then gave it to my gf and bought a coupe and hated it so i sold it and traded a atv for my integra sedan
Old 12-23-2012, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha and mine looked exactly like yours when it was white
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My motor is coming along, I have let's of pics I'll post soon. Tonight I need help tho! Got in the car after work this morning (i work 3rd shift) and My 10 Ohm resistors on my harness before my DSM injectors was rigged on awful with electric tape, I felt the car sputter, popped the hood and saw one smoking. I live 30 miles from
back to my town and it died on me And wouldn't start back. so I pulled the burnt electrical tape and drove home. I replaced the black chared resistor and now I'm getting no spark. I plan on checking the fuses ASAP after I get off work, but the car ran before, so I'm wondering if that would have been somthing to make me blow a fuse? I'm really hoping that but am really freaking out. Could anything major have gone wrong? It wasn't smoking after I pulled the tape off
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't hear the fuel pump come on when I turn key either
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

heres the holy grail of FAQs incase you need them

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faqs-frequently-asked-tech-questions-1998336/
Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that part of north Carolina are you moving to?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
heres the holy grail of FAQs incase you need them

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1998336
Thanks man, ended up being fuse #31. Bookmarked the link and made a profile on D-Series

that part of north Carolina are you moving to?
I'm moving to Mooresville, NC. I'll be going to UTI to get Ford and Nissan certified. I'm super excited but really hoping my car won't **** on me while im down there lol.

Quick Reply: First Honda build~4-door EG D16Y7