Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First Honda 94 civic No compression in one cylinder NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Honda 94 civic No compression in one cylinder NEED HELP

I bought a 94 Honda Civic 2 door with a what I believe to be original sohc vtec motor (167k) miles. Got the car knowing it needed work. The motor fires right up but runs very rough, no power, and shakes. I did a compression test and found that one cylinder (closest to driver side) has 0 compression. I then added a little heavy oil to the top of the cylinder and tested again with still no compression. Another thing I should mention is the spark plugs seemed to be recently installed but were very black and oily. Another thing to mention is the vtec solenoid is not plugged and and seems to be no plugs around to plug into them. My next step unless I am steered a different direction will be to pull the cylinder head and look for a bent valve. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: First Honda 94 civic No compression in one cylinder NEED HELP

Originally Posted by gmclb7
I bought a 94 Honda Civic 2 door with a what I believe to be original sohc vtec motor (167k) miles. Got the car knowing it needed work. The motor fires right up but runs very rough, no power, and shakes. I did a compression test and found that one cylinder (closest to driver side) has 0 compression. I then added a little heavy oil to the top of the cylinder and tested again with still no compression. Another thing I should mention is the spark plugs seemed to be recently installed but were very black and oily. Another thing to mention is the vtec solenoid is not plugged and and seems to be no plugs around to plug into them. My next step unless I am steered a different direction will be to pull the cylinder head and look for a bent valve. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bent intake or exhaust valve...
Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Might as well pull out that puppy and do a rebuild.
If you are getting 0 compression nothing else will reveal why except to tear it down.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Reading up on it a little more, I think someone attempted the "mini me" swap and something went wrong or it just wasnt finished. Having a Vtec head and vtec solonoid with no plugs anywhere for it seems to be the case. I really dont care weather it has the swap done or not and am really just going for realabilty and a good running car. What are you alls opinion ?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Reading up on it a little more, I think someone attempted the "mini me" swap and something went wrong or it just wasnt finished. Having a Vtec head and vtec solonoid with no plugs anywhere for it seems to be the case. I really dont care weather it has the swap done or not and am really just going for realabilty and a good running car. What are you alls opinion ?
Get a used head for that make and model and keep it stock, if your looking for a reliable daily driver... in any case YOU WILL need to pull the head to see why you have no compression on #1. At that point you can make your decision. I would not think that a good used head and new head gasket would be that expensive... plus you could sell the other head and recoup your money...
Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there anyway to verify that the block is stock to the car? Any it wasnt a complete motor swap. Previous owner was no help. I am going to start pulling the head tonight.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you pulled the valve cover and checked to see if the valve stems are moving up and down in the train on #1? Kind of weird that someone would swap a head with a f@cked up valve(s)... maybe the rocker assembly broke? Just a thought before you start tearing **** apart...
Old 12-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes valves are all moving. Is there any way to tell what block I have so I can get the right head for it? Almost have the vtec head off. If I could confirm that the block is stock and the head isnt then I would have a better idea on where to go.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On the block, left of the exhaust manifold, do you see a stamp, like this (where the tranny and block meet)?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will check as soon as I get back to my shop. I am going to find out which head I need to match the block then do head gasket intake and exhaust manifold gaskets waterpump and timing belt and have a good reliable motor. With 160k on clock in seems the bottom end should still be good but who knows the history on it. Im hoping for obvious sign of whats wrong when I pull the head. I really do appreciate the response and help.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turns out I do have a Vtec motor. Block said D16z6. I would assume this means that the motor was swapped in being a 94 Civic coupe dx? I guess my plan now will be the same and also figuring out how to hook up the vtec solenoid. Could this motor be what came in the car even though I am pretty sure its a dx? I looked up the vin using the decoder and it say 1.5 though I read the d16z6 is a 1.6
Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Turns out I do have a Vtec motor. Block said D16z6. I would assume this means that the motor was swapped in being a 94 Civic coupe dx? I guess my plan now will be the same and also figuring out how to hook up the vtec solenoid. Could this motor be what came in the car even though I am pretty sure its a dx? I looked up the vin using the decoder and it say 1.5 though I read the d16z6 is a 1.6
only the ex models came with a d16z6 sounds like you will need a wiring harness for that engine if the vtec solinoid wasnt connected, and there was no connector?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Two questions
1. How can I check the timing before I pull the head off?
2. If I figure out the compression problem can I just run the wires needed to the vtec solenoid?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Timing marks on the crank and cam pulleys.
2. Yes but if you don't already have a VTEC ecu you'll need one to activate VTEC (P28 ECU is what you'll need if it's not there already).
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well found the problem.....connecting rod snapped, pile of parts in bottom of pan. I really cant believe the car even ran like it did. Guess I will have to look for a new motor. Found a guy on craigslist who say he rebuilds these motors and will sell me a rebuilt d16z6 for 400 plus my broke motor. Good deal or no? Any chance of fixing mine without machining or should I just look for a swap. Headed back to the shop to finish pulling the motor.