Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First exhaust ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First exhaust ticket

I was wondering if anyone here had the link that describes in detail the limitations for California Exhausts. I received one last night. Here's my story. It's pretty pathetic how this cop was acting. I'ts kind of long so if you're up to the read, I hope it's worth it.

I'm driving down Badillo at 1:30AM (A main street in my city) and I'm following my friends to go get something to eat. Anyway he's driving god awful slow so I flash my highbeams to tell him to speed up. He does. We cross Citrus (Another main street) and here comes a cop. My friend in front of me makes a quick left (He's deathly afraid of cops) and I keep going straight. After all, I've done nothing wrong. I travel another block and here we go. He turns on his blue and reds and I pull over. Then I wait for this idiot for like 5 minutes to get out of his car. On a sidenote, I hate those bright lights they flash in your car. I know they serve a purpose, but they're just too damn bright.

Anyway this guy finally gets up to my window. I greet him with the usual, "Good evening officer. Is there something wrong?" Instead of being nice about it, right away I see he's going to be a hardass.
Cop - "License, registration, and proof of insurance. I want to see it now."
Me - "Sure. No problem."
I hand him my paperwork and right away this moron shows how ignorant he is.
Cop - "Do you realize you have restrictions on your license?"
Me - "Um. What are you talking about?"
Cop - "You're under 18. You have a curfew."
Now I'm pissed. Not only did he pull me over for no reason, he can't read a god damn drivers license to see that I turned 18 almost a year ago. So, since I realize I'm dealing with an *******, I respond like one.
Me - "Can't you read? I'm almost 19."
Cop - "When were you born?"
Me - "Oh I don't know. I guess that my birthdate on my license is wrong. Could you tell me when I was born?"
Cop - "Don't get smart with me."
Me - "It looks like I'm the only smart one here. I was born on 8-29-83. That would make me almost 19 years old. So if this is the only reason why you pulled me over, I would like my paperwork back so I can be on my way."
Cop - "I'll be right back."
So he goes back to his car, and I wait and wait. I was actually waiting there for about 10 minutes. He comes back and now there's more.
Cop - "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Me - "No. Do YOU? Obviously not if it took you so long to come back."
Cop - "You were going 50 in a 40 and you were tailgating the car in front of you."
Me - "You clocked me at 50 or you're estimating my speed at 50? If you clocked me, then tell me how you did it while moving? Also, How could I have been tailgating the car in front of me if they made a left a block before you pulled me over? I don't know why you're harassing me, but your reasons for pulling me over are terrible."
Cop - "You're getting really smart with me. I could give you two movers if you want them"
Me - "Yeah. Two that aren't admissable in court. Tailgating the only car on a main street at 1 in the morning that made a LEFT a block before you pulled me over, which means there were NOT any cars in front of me at the time. As far as speeding is concerned, maybe you should read up on California's Basic Speed Law. So if you want to give me two tickets for something that I could easily win in court, do it. It's your call. Obviously you think you're in control sir, when in reality I know you aren't."
Cop - "I'll be right back."
This ******* goes back to his car, AGAIN for God knows what. Anyway, 5 minutes later he comes back.
Cop - "I'm going to issue you a ticket for a modified exhaust. It's a fix it ticket. Get it fixed. Please sign here.'
Me - "You HAVE to be kidding. You couldn't get me on anything else, so you get me for exhaust. And our tax dollars pay you to uphold the law? All you did now is inconvenience me for a couple hours to go to court. You're a joke. Give me my damn ticket and paperwork so I can get the hell away from you. "

I take my ticket and go. I know I didn't act the greatest, but this guy was an idiot. If anyone disagrees with how I acted, then you should show some apathy, because I think you would have felt the same way.
Old 07-14-2002, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (SloVXHatch)

fight it man! Maybe the cop wont show up....or Ive also heard this one to fight it...say your idea of a modified exhaust is to drill holes in it or whatever, and if you have a catback, its not modified!
Old 07-14-2002, 02:45 PM
Don't Trust Anyone

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (Ricey McRicerton)

I got several exhaust tickets when I had my old CRX with a Tanabe Racing Med., I got one ticket at the West Covina mall, coming out the parking structure. The cop pulled me over and I explined to him that it was 50 state legal. Anyways I got a ticket for being to loud, not modified exhaust this time. I went to court with the paper work saying its 50 state legal. And Comm. Grey said "this isnt worth the paper its writen on." So I had to pay. People have got away with the 50 state legal paperwork before. I heard some tickets count as points now, anyone know if thats true?
Old 07-14-2002, 02:46 PM

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (Ricey McRicerton)

I'm gonna fight it. It's only an infraction as opposed to a moving violation. The only thing that angers me is that the after the cop realized that his "reasons" for pulling me over were void, he had to find something to pin on me. Oh well. After I get a stock muffler and go to court, I'm gonna order an ES Oval and put it on as soon as I leave.
Old 07-14-2002, 02:49 PM
Don't Trust Anyone

Are you going to Citrus Court? If so Com. Grey is a DICK. Good luck.

[Modified by SpoonSportsEF7, 11:50 PM 7/14/2002]
Old 07-14-2002, 02:50 PM

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (SpoonSportsEF7)

SpoonSportsEF7, what is the fine if you fight it and lose? Because if it's cheaper for me to just go to the junkyard and get a stock muffler, slap it on, and go to court, I'll just do that. Don't you have to go to the CHP so they can hook it up to a decibel meter? I'm not sure how it works, but that's what I've read. On a side note, The West Covina Mall parking structure? That cop was an *** then. You could fart in that damn thing and it would be heard on the other side with the way sounds carry in there.

Going to West Covina Superior on 9-11-02 at 8:30AM.

[Modified by SloVXHatch, 3:50 PM 7/14/2002]

[Modified by SloVXHatch, 3:53 PM 7/14/2002]
Old 07-14-2002, 02:54 PM
Don't Trust Anyone

CHP doesnt do decibel checks. The fine doesnt go up or down if you go to court and fight it. If you can fix it, your lucky. I wasnt able to fix any of mine. Just go get a stock muffler, and make sure its not loud or anything to flashy, and have a CHP or any COP sign it off, then you will only pay $10 fine.
Old 07-14-2002, 03:02 PM

First he was being a dick... but don't be a dick back. It doesn't matter how much of a dick he is, be nice back. In LA, my friend got the **** beat out of him on Ventura at 2 in the afternoon. That is one big street. It was one block east of sepulveda. You know how busy that is at that time. Oh, we jay walked and my friend was cool and when the cop was being an *******, he started saying **** like you know i don't have to say anything. Then the cop basically beat his ***. The only reason he stopped was because the lady cop partner noticed that his once white shirt was all bloody due to the cuffs cutting the **** out of his wrists. It's a long story.. Anyways, be nice, the cop could beat your ***.

Second, what was that stuff about the California Basic speed law? That usually works against people. It states that the speed limit can go slower, not faster. So if traffic was heavy and it was raining hard and the conditions were just ****. An officer could give you a ticket for going the speed limit. Trust me, I know.

Anyways... just pay the fix it and pay the fine.

Peace
Old 07-14-2002, 03:15 PM

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (hb_racer)

I think you handled yourself really well. Im glad you stood up for yourself, I wish more people would when it comes to cops.

Keith
Old 07-14-2002, 03:16 PM
BW

First he was being a dick... but don't be a dick back. It doesn't matter how much of a dick he is, be nice back. In LA, my friend got the **** beat out of him on Ventura at 2 in the afternoon. That is one big street. It was one block east of sepulveda. You know how busy that is at that time. Oh, we jay walked and my friend was cool and when the cop was being an *******, he started saying **** like you know i don't have to say anything. Then the cop basically beat his ***. The only reason he stopped was because the lady cop partner noticed that his once white shirt was all bloody due to the cuffs cutting the **** out of his wrists. It's a long story.. Anyways, be nice, the cop could beat your ***.

Second, what was that stuff about the California Basic speed law? That usually works against people. It states that the speed limit can go slower, not faster. So if traffic was heavy and it was raining hard and the conditions were just ****. An officer could give you a ticket for going the speed limit. Trust me, I know.

Anyways... just pay the fix it and pay the fine.

Peace
i would sue in that situation. if it were me i would be like "come on and hit me go for it" but then again im a sick **** like that i personally feel the same way about cops. you have to be a smartass right back. the thing is you don't want to show any weakness. ur aguements have to be valid in order to do this. its a fix it ticket. so don't worry about it. cops are just looking to be dicks so try and not be to much of an ***
Old 07-14-2002, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A quick quote from your original post:
Me - "Can't you read? I'm almost 19."
Cop - "When were you born?"
Me - "Oh I don't know. I guess that my birthdate on my license is wrong. Could you tell me when I was born?"

That, my young friend, is the reason you got a ticket.
If you get smart with them...even if they are wrong...you are GUARANTEED a ticket EVERY TIME. You went there, he followed.

Cops take **** off the dumbest people on the planet, and they dont get paid half what a lot of them do.

I'm certain you could have gotten out of that ticket with a little oscar-winning leave-it-to-beaver act, but obviously you had something to prove....that you were too young to know people. I hope the judge lets you know that, too.

Good Luck.
Old 07-14-2002, 03:36 PM

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (hatch2k)

I didn't have anything to prove. I was by myself, on a main street, at 1 in the morning. If the guy can't add up dates to see that I am almost 19 years old, why should I even bother listening to him? If you met and adult (non-cop) that could not add dates (My age was a pisspoor attempt to justify his pulling me over) or make good judgement calls (He had 3 stupid reasons to ticket me after he couldn't get me for curfew), you would probably disregard all that they say completely. Why are cops any different? After all, they're people too. Too young to know people? That's original man. Everyone I work with is at least twice my age (And I supervise some of them), so I know how people a lot older than myself think. I think I was extremely tactful up until when this guy proved to me that he had the mental capacity of a pigeon.

[Modified by SloVXHatch, 4:38 PM 7/14/2002]
Old 07-14-2002, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm older than you and have been around tyhe block a few times. Let me give you some damn good advice; at 1:30 in the morning super late at night arguing with a cop is the STUPIDEST!!!!! thing you can do. All it takes is one smart *** comment to seriously push homeboy over the edge and plant some shat in you car and screw your life. Next time shut-up sign the ticket, be polite and then beat it in court. If you know your rights, then you will win sitting there and arguing with him will go nowhere and the only getting screwed will be you. Do I think this is fair? Hell no! I hate the crap they pull on imports too, but that's the real world. I would say after what you said, you are luckyan exhaust ticket is all you got. You could tell right when he walked up to your car the guy was a jerk use that as a cue next time to just shut-up. Some cops are cool and you can tell within the first 45 seconds how they are going to be. If they start acting mean right away then I always shut up----> sign it------>beat it in court-------> then repeat the process all over again the next week I get pulled over
Old 07-14-2002, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (Halo)

By the way get a sound level meter from Radio Shack, the law states you can modify it as long as it's under 95db
Old 07-14-2002, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well listen to this ****. i live in VA and the fairfax county cops here are dicks. i got pulled over for my exaust, and the cop searched my car. he looked under the hood and in the car everywhere. it was like 12 midnight and i had to be home by one. there were three cops. two fairfax co. and one statie. the ******* let me sit for about 45 min. he came back and told me i was bing respectful and gave me a ******* warning. AFTER 45 MIN OF B.S. i dont know how the cops are in CA. but i say be nice and bullshit your way out of stuff.

LILGREENHONDA
91 civic JDM D15B SOHC VTEC
Old 07-14-2002, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Halo said , arguing with a cop at 18 is the STUPIDIEST thing to do, he prob. would of let you go if you would of been coo with him, specially in W.Covina(the cops are dicks there!). Anyways, about your exhaust you can get it signed off but you still have to pay a fine of 60-80bux(unless you can prove is under 95decebels)Yes a fine, they got smarter and now you can get fined for a correctible citation. Which means if you get pulled over again for the same thing, your fine will be more. They did this cause to many peeps were just getting to many correctible citations then just going to CHP getting them signed off and going to court and paying the 10bux. After all that, going back to the same loud *** muff.
BTW, I think you should fight it cause he didnt have a decebel reader.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:07 PM

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (eg_nezay)

I know arguing wasn't the best thing to do, but I'm sick of Covina PD. On my 18th birthday I got a flat tire (Sucked to be me) on my old 87 Accord so I was rolling on the spare donut. I'm coming home from work and a cop pulls me over first for curfew then for "Going 40 in a 35." Then he tried to say I was driving unsafely with a donut and that they are only rated to go 35. After I politely told him that they were rated to go 55, and he looked at the tire, he threw my papers inside my car and told me to go away. This is why I hate cops in my city.

Oh yeah what's a good way to prove it? I think the only way possible would be to show a cop my decibel readings and have them sign it off. Do I go to my local PD for that or the CHP?

[Modified by SloVXHatch, 7:10 PM 7/14/2002]
Old 07-14-2002, 06:13 PM

Dude, just think of it this way. If you grit your teeth and take it from the cop, no matter how much of an ******* he is, and he just talks down on you like he's the man for a few minutes and lets you go.. you win. Because you don't have to go to court and fight/pay a ticket. Being an *******, losing your temper, and playing games with the cop is just gonna make him win. Its all about manipulation.

Next time you get pulled over just tell yourself that you're going to practice manipulating the cop into not giving you a ticket because you don't give him reason to go through such hassle.

Lates~
(has alot of tickets )
Old 07-14-2002, 06:19 PM

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (ride_with_me)

Good advice man. I do usually just try to avoid confrontational situations with cops. I think that it was because I was tired and I was trying to get home to go to sleep and he pretty much just pulled me over on a whim. I've gotten off one time, but the cop was cool and he pretty much told me that he could relate to my situation (I was going 60 in a 45 at like 4am) because he saw there was no traffic. He just told me to slow down and not have such a lead foot. When he pulled me over he asked me "So, got a lead foot eh?" And I replied "Sorry sir. I know I was probably going a little bit too fast." He pretty much, like I said, told me to just slow down a bit and to get home. I told him good night, and that was it. No talks of curfew, no exhaust bitching. He just asked for my paperwork and that was it.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:29 PM

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (wrine420)

quote:

i would sue in that situation. if it were me i would be like "come on and hit me go for it" but then again im a sick **** like that i personally feel the same way about cops. you have to be a smartass right back. the thing is you don't want to show any weakness. ur aguements have to be valid in order to do this. its a fix it ticket. so don't worry about it. cops are just looking to be dicks so try and not be to much of an ***

endquote:

ummm... The cops that beat rodney king were video taped and got off. WE Had no evidence that the cop did anything. Who would be a witness? The suspects? Yeah right. Remember, cops, for the most part, are the more credible than anyone when it comes to these types of cases. I know first hand. Earlier I made a post about losing in court. Cop told the judge I spun my rear tires. I told the judge later that I have a fwd vehicle and it is physically impossible to spin the rear tires. In the end, the judge believed the cop and not me. Anyways, the whole point is that you shouldn't be a dick because it will only get you into more trouble. Just think if you were the cop and some person was being a dick to you. Trust me, you'd **** them up. I know I would. So don' t be a dick.

See dick drive, See dick be a dick, See dicks *** in jail!

Peace

[Modified by hb_racer, 3:30 AM 7/15/2002]
Old 07-14-2002, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is great showing up the cop hahahaha funny
Old 07-14-2002, 06:42 PM

couple days ago I was driing back home at 9pm . Got pulled over . He says I squealed my tires at an intersection 4 miles back and that my exhaust is illegal. I told him that my exhaust is legal...... But still got a ticket for squealing tires. Kinda dumb , becuase they followed me for 4 miles before pulling me over . If I 'broke' the law why not pull me over right away ?
Old 07-14-2002, 07:09 PM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

sorry to hear about that
Old 07-14-2002, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (96hbdx)

The only cops I have been pulled over by were freaking idiots. The last time I was pulled over, I was driving home from work doing like 65 in a 55. The cop pulled me over and asked me to get out of the car which I did promptly and with all my info.

While we are standing there, he is looking at me and my license asking the usual questions like "Where are you going and where are you coming from". He starts writing the ticket and so on. Now if any of you were to see me, I am 6' 5" tall and weigh about 190lbs, and look nothing like a women. He writes me down as a female, gets my cars year wrong after asking 3 times, and gets the plate number on my car wrong.

They are just looking to give out tickets, not to actually inforce the law.

Kenton
Old 07-14-2002, 07:25 PM

Default Re: First exhaust ticket (DxHatchback)

Your conversation with the cop sounds like a bunch of ****, my uncle is a cop and I know and have met a lot of police officers, and believe me no officer is going to take any **** from a young punk like you. I am 19 myself, but you have to have some respect to elders and those with more power than you. Yes he pulled you over, so what, it's just a routine check, he does have a quota that he needs to meet by the end of the month so he is just doing his job. Cops have tons of ways that they could use to screw you over, and like somebody mentioned earlier, arguying with a cop in the middle of the night is the STUPIDEST thing to do. Here is an example.

I didn't argue with the cop, he was just really tight with the laws. I am from Toronto, Canada. So anyway, i am driving and i pull up in this parking lot of a local park. There were two cop cruisers just chilling, as i pass by one officer stops me and asks me if I cut my springs. (My car is really low)

Anyway, I said i have coilovers, he then told me when i am leaving the park he wants to see my car at stock height or i will get impounded for being too low. Fair enough...i DID get a warning. So instead of enjoying the park with my gf i had to jack up my car and adjust the coilovers. So i raised it an inch because if you have coilovers you will know that it's almost impossible to raise the car to stock height unless you compress the spring. Anyway long story short, when i was leaving, i waved at him and left. As i am going up the street i see him pull up behind me. Cherries on, so i pull into a gas station. He comes out with vice grips and starts unbolting my plates. He then took my plates, riped my registration and called a tow truck. I was trying to explain my case, he didn't care. Anyway i got a ticket for "unsafe vehichle." I didn't deserve it because i am obeying every highway traffic law as far as ride height goes. But he still screwed me over, i did win in court because i wasn't breaking the law but guess what i was short a few hundred $$$ because of this.

Towing: $80
Re certifying car: $100
Temporary Plate: $15
New plates: $30

And there were other costs because the tow truck broke my lip and scratched my exhaust....so believe me if a cop wants to screw you over he/she can do it no prob.

Quick Reply: First exhaust ticket