Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First engine rebuild.... what shoul be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First engine rebuild.... what shoul be replaced?

This is going to be my first bottom end rebuild, and basically i need a run-down of everything that should be replaced like gaskets, orings etc. i am going to be putting in JDM ITR pistons and a thin head gasket into my B18C1.

I have heard mixed things about what headstuds to use. someone told me that ARP headstuds need to be torqued a second time after a certain amount of heat cycles and that i should go with golden eagle instead? does anyone know anything about this? what brand would you suggest for headstuds and rod bolts?

another question is about mainstuds. should these also be replaced? i see that ARP sells them, and im not sure if its something just for high horsepower apps. or if its necessary for them to be replaced.

any advice on the rebuild or tips would be appreciated.

i just dont want to be in the middle of this and be stuck without something i need.

thanks to all in advance!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: First engine rebuild.... what shoul be replaced? (SoHonda_Garage)

All gaskets and seal obviously. In my motor, I used all ARP hardware. 8mm rod bolts pressed into milled out and balanced LS rods. Used ARP main studs in lieu of the girdle, cheap and very effective. The only thing I really didn't like were the ARP head studs. OEM Honda head bolts are Torque to Yield bolts. They do not require refastening after assembly and running of the fresh motor. ARP head studs may require this, and I would call ARP and ask about their suggestions.

When I torqued my ARP head studs, I did it as per the directions. Hand tighten the bolt, and then torque the nut down in several increments. It felt odd though, as when I was torquing the nut, the stud would turn some and then the nut would turn some. It held together fine, it was just not an assuring feeling so to say. If I ever build another motor, I will go about it in a different manner. Either tighten down the stud completely and then torque the nut, or just use OEM head bolts.

Being that you have a crank girdle, the main studs are optional. I used them, they worked, and they were very inexpensive. And the only reason I went with the rod bolts is because factory LS bolts are 7mm and stretch under high rpm loads, so upgrading to the 8mm ARP unit was necessary for what I wanted to do.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be following this thread since I am planning the same project in the next few months.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoHonda_Garage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

another question is about mainstuds. should these also be replaced?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Forgot to add onto this one...All OEM fasteners are TTY bolts, so they do stretch. Replace all fasteners.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First engine rebuild.... what shoul be replaced? (NAisBEST)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NAisBEST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Forgot to add onto this one...All OEM fasteners are TTY bolts, so they do stretch. Replace all fasteners. </TD></TR></TABLE>

awesome thanks for the info Vin.

so you think i should go with the arp rod bolts? do you have to modify the rod to use them? im planning on eventually revving this motor to 95 (next year) so would it be worth just doing it now?

also, password JDM sells this bottom end gasket kit. would it be worth getting this for the price?

http://passwordjdm.com/product...asket
Old 01-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoHonda_Garage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

awesome thanks for the info Vin.

so you think i should go with the arp rod bolts? do you have to modify the rod to use them? im planning on eventually revving this motor to 95 (next year) so would it be worth just doing it now?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had to mill out my LS rods 1mm due to the size difference, but I believe the P72 rod bolts are already 8mm, so any reputable machine shop should be able to just remove and re-press. With my 8mm ARP bolts, the highest my motor saw was 9600. Still purred like a kitten

also, password JDM sells this bottom end gasket kit. would it be worth getting this for the price?

http://passwordjdm.com/product...asket</TD></TR></TABLE>

C'mon mang, you know I can do better than that! you got pm.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off your oem head and main bolts are not reusable

and go with arp.. arp as the proven track record not only with hondas but every motor. I seriously dout that golden eagle makes their own bolts.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First engine rebuild.... what shoul be replaced? (gezzuzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gezzuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first off your oem head and main bolts are not reusable

and go with arp.. arp as the proven track record not only with hondas but every motor. I seriously dout that golden eagle makes their own bolts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well i was never planning on re-using anything.

have you heard anything about this re-tourquing for the ARP's?

this car will be a daily driver once its on the road so i wont have the time to be taking it apart to retighten studs....