Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First Civic, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Civic, Suggestions?

Nice to meet you all, love this forum just decided to make an account!

So I got my first civic a couple days ago, it is a Honda Civic 1998 DX with about 135k miles. The previous owner kept it in decent shape. Anyway, I am new to Civic's and looking for some ideas to make this thing look nice. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks everybody!

Old 06-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Civic, Suggestions?

looks great for a starter!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clean interior! :thumbsup:

i would try to get an OEM stereo & drop it,
then maybe add some replica wheels like some slips for starters then progress to real ones like some works
:yesnod:
Old 06-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Trial User

Where can I find slips and OEM stereos?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Trial User

Bump
Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can probably find the oem stereo (and even some dealer optional stereo accessories)here on the HT marketplace. you can find wheels on the marketplace too, craigslist as well.

and congrats on the buy, she looks like a good starter civic
Old 06-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

why OEM stereo whats so special about oem stereo??

anyway there are thousands of things u can do
what i did to my LX civic also a 4 door

Full GSR Interior wrapped my armrest and door panels in suede
GSR Cluster
Retrofited lights from a BMW M3 with the BMW HID's
Replica Type-R Lip
Replica Type-R Grille
Depo "JDM" Yellow Foglights
painted my side skirts VSM
Dropped my car on Tein coils
and slapped on some Fat Fives
with tint

also i did a Intake manifold swap from a Y8
painted the engine bay components blue and installed a front and rear strut bar

but before you start making ur car look nice

make sure you change everything that needs to be
-Oil
-PCV Valve
-Breaks
-Get rid of the stupid Cold Air intake get a stock box
-All Fluids
-Bushings

basically do all the necessary stuff for the car to run and not die on you because it will become a nice lawn ornament
Before i dropped it

Old 06-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Trial User

Wow thats a really nice post thanks! Any chance you have some pics of the interior?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i can snap some for you tomorrow in the day light i have these of my interior

Before i got my 2001 GSR Seats:

i can snap some more pics tomorrow of my front seats and back seats
Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Trial User

Nice I like it! Thanks!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you. and no problem
Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Soo... speaking of clusters How hard was the GSR one to repin into the civic harness, I've heard it actually pretty easy. Have read a couple post about it, the only concern I would have is how well does it fit back into the dash mounts and is it all off center?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=97738 is what i used also the side mounts on the GSR cluster i cut off to fit it in my dash i put something underneth my cluster dont remember what that is exactly the correct height of where the stock cluster bloted up to so it fits and drilled a hole in my bezel adn used the top hole ont he GSR Cluster to fit it.. sounds ghetto but i just never got around to fiberglass the bezel might actualluy start doing that here soon since i just remembered i bought all the materials for it to fiberglass it into the bezel

but the repining the stock harness took about 10 minutes
Old 06-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea that's the post I was reading earlier, since I am considering buying a new cluster.... might just go this route! Love the way those clusters look
Old 06-05-2011, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First I would sell/trade it for a manual coupe or hatch. For some reason I just despise four doors and an automatic makes it that much worse. Just take your time and decide what your "style" is. Try not to follow any fads either, you'll regret it later.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:10 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Honestly the first thing I would do is take car of that rear fender rust before it becomes a real problem. I wouldn't spend a dime on anything else until that cancer is gone.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I swear there is nothing technical about these kinds of questions. I can look at your car an tell you what you SHOULD take care of first before you start worrying about how you plan on hooking it up.

Do some maintenance like a full tune up and so on first. Make sure you car is reliable BEFORE you try and start slapping Ebay parts on it.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Honestly the first thing I would do is take car of that rear fender rust before it becomes a real problem. I wouldn't spend a dime on anything else until that cancer is gone.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Also, don't bother replacing your aftermarket stereo or that intake. Eventually, you're going to end up wanting a swap or something, worry about the intake then, it won't do any harm or really cause any power loss/gain over stock. And the stock stereos are garbage, Honda sucks at audio. The factory head unit's amp just doesn't sound good and distorts at relatively low volume.

Looks like a pretty good car, check out the appearance thread sections, I'm sure there are a million posts of sedans to inspire you!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure it won't leave you stranded first... fix the rust... tune it up... check the cv's... get the mechanical straight first otherwise you'll just end up with a really good looking lawn ornament
Old 06-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
First I would sell/trade it for a manual coupe or hatch. For some reason I just despise four doors and an automatic makes it that much worse. Just take your time and decide what your "style" is. Try not to follow any fads either, you'll regret it later.
he didnt ask to sell the car or for a coupe you might hate four doors but others like them so don't push ur opinions of hatches and coupes everyone has a hatch and coupe there are way less 4 doors out there that are clean which his is obiously not.. oh and automatic.. hmmm what can u do about that oh what i did auto to manual conversion takes about 5 hours

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
This is right the rust is a must to get rid of on the quarter panels i would assume new york gts a lot of rust on their cars so it would be a good idea to rust proof as well before you actually due anything meaning the whole body in chemicals and paints that prevent rust from happening

Originally Posted by D Griff
This is exactly what I was going to say. Also, don't bother replacing your aftermarket stereo or that intake. Eventually, you're going to end up wanting a swap or something, worry about the intake then, it won't do any harm or really cause any power loss/gain over stock. And the stock stereos are garbage, Honda sucks at audio. The factory head unit's amp just doesn't sound good and distorts at relatively low volume.

Looks like a pretty good car, check out the appearance thread sections, I'm sure there are a million posts of sedans to inspire you!
yeah i don't understand why these kids are saying stock head unit... why? cause it looks stock? yeah wow i have the optional tape player in my lower console of my car and its just sitting there iin my dash unplugged because i never used that crap its just worthless there are way better in dash decks out there than stock, the stock ones are plain sh*t and you shouldn't worry about audio and looks until the car is a 100%

Originally Posted by jumby
make sure it won't leave you stranded first... fix the rust... tune it up... check the cv's... get the mechanical straight first otherwise you'll just end up with a really good looking lawn ornament

you said exactly what i said like you copied and pasted it... if its been said already you should probably just be quiet and not try to get your post count up
Old 06-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with what they are saying about the rust and maintenance. No point dumping money in something that's going to turn to swiss cheese or leave you stranded.

I would look into doing a full tuneup including changing the belts. If you have the rust repaired and those panels painted I would see about having them paint the door handles, trim, side skirts, tag trim, and mirrors.

Originally Posted by Wrona
he didnt ask to sell the car or for a coupe you might hate four doors but others like them so don't push ur opinions of hatches and coupes everyone has a hatch and coupe there are way less 4 doors out there that are clean which his is obiously not.. oh and automatic.. hmmm what can u do about that oh what i did auto to manual conversion takes about 5 hours
Yeah it's almost like he's posting a public forum. If you care to try and comprehend I said *I* would. If he likes the four door more power to him. The reason you see less four doors is because they are much less popular, probably from people who share my same point of view.

He's on a forum asking what to do to his car, do you honestly think he could probably pull off a manual conversion? The OP didn't take any offense to what I said and/or comprehended just fine. No need for you to jump in and try to play the hero.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to align your steering wheel first bro UGHHFF!! Heres how to do that, at the bottom by your gas/brake pedal look above it and you'll see the plastic cover covering the steering wheel shaft. Take that off, when you see the shaft there are two bolts you have to undo on the knuckle that holds one side of the shaft to the other. When you do that the wheel should fall loose. Straighten it then tighten bolts back on and you're done!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wrona
Retrofited lights from a BMW M3 with the BMW HID's

Old 06-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

those are ebay headlights i got for free the halos stayed because it would look weird... i got those headlights for free and i had a pair of cracked 2005 BMW m3 headlights so i retrofited those into those egay headlights so just please shush ur mouth if youre going to criticize someone else and i never would hook up halos on my car i just like the way the headlights look and my stock headlights are in my basement i wasnt gonna sell them because i might need them some day so i ddint retrofit those
Old 06-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't get why everyone is pushing this "JDM" fad and everything else someone does to their car is considered "rice". Do whatever the heck you want to "YOUR" car and forget what everyone else says. You live in America, not Japan.. get over it USDM > JDM. RICE simply means adding something that serves no purpose or doesn't have any useful functionality. Just because your car is "customized" doesn't make it rice. IE: my gauges are this crappy indigo blue bright annoying color that looks awful... that would be something considered rice, which is why I'm in the process of changing it. Your car doesn't have to look 100% OEM, like everyone thinks it should. Do whatever you want to your car to make it look how you want, just stay away from adding unnecessary things... like huge wings and pointless body kits. I mean... whatever happened to individuality, otherwise all you're going to see are the same cars driving around in different color schemes. That is just boring, in my opinion.

Last edited by baca00ex; 06-05-2011 at 05:41 PM.