Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First civic...fixing some issues

Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Marin county (aka death's waiting room), SF bay area
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First civic...fixing some issues

Hey everybody, not new to cars but I just sold my 10ae miata and picked up a 96 civic ex for $1200. All in all it's in pretty good shape but there are a few things that it needs/ I want to do.

It needs a new oil pan gasket but I found some decent directions for that. I figured since I would be down there anyway I'll install a short shifter and some fresh bushings to get through the gears a little quicker. The big thing I want to do ASAP is change out the head unit. The current head unit is factory but the volume **** doesnt work (if I try to put up the volume it will sometimes shut itself off). It also doesn't have a tape dec or cd player...I think it used to but I'm guessing somebody jacked it.

Long story short I haven't been able to find a good tutorial on how to change out the radio, if anybody makes a piece to slip in there (the 96 radio is a funny shape), etc. If anybody has any insight please keep me posted. On a side note I'm looking for mods that will make the car more fun to drive but not attract attention (no mufflers, body kits, etc). I'm thinking strut braces, stiffer shock (hopefully something close to stock ride height), short shifter...any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First civic...fixing some issues

PS I found this link and commented but the discussion was from about a year ago so I don't think anybody is going to be looking at it still.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/install-deck-96-civic-2567507/
Old 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/466013.pdf
Old 03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy crap. That's exactly what I needed. Thanks a million dpetro1!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any radio should fit in there. The only thing that sucks is that it won't sit flush with that little pocket on the right like the factory unit does, so it doesn't look quite right. It used to bother me in my car, but I got over it. Or you could just leave the factory one in place and install your new unit down below in that pocket by the "cup holders".
Old 03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know how the 96 radio is, but on my 95 it just slides out. Maybe check in under the trim thats beneath the radio for a screw or two. As for mods that wont get your car jacked look into strut bars and possibly an intake. Neither of those would draw attention and would make a DD a little more fun.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking about putting the radio down by the cup holders but it would be a pain to see what station you are on I'll bet. The .pdf dpetro1 linked really spoon feeds the whole process to you. It also looks like you can buy a bracket to make the radio look more natural but where to get it I don't know. Does anybody know how much it is for a clip so I can make the radio easily interchangable?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To anybody that had the same issue I did finding the pieces necessary just look up "96 civic radio installation kit" and "civic radio snap on wire harness" and you should be set. I was able to get the bracket, plug and a clarion deck with bluetooth/usb for about $100.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing you should be aware of is when you remove the stock radio your dome light and factory keyless entry option will no longer work. There are wires in the radio harness you can splice together to make the dome light and keyless to work again. I don't remember which wires though. If you don't want to get into splicing wires, metra makes a harness that keeps the stock radio in its place with power going to it and also has a pig tail going to the pocket above the cup holders where you can put your new radio.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Huh, I knew the keyless entry and alarm would be an issue but losing the dome light and possibly more? That's kind of a pain. It may be worthwhile just to pay a professional to do it. I should probably go around and get some quotes.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nothing more than the dome light and keyless. But yea it is a pain, however it is easially fixed.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't really want to run two radios...especially if the main one is obstructed by a cup of coffee, but I guess losing the dome light isn't so bad. I have a friend that graduated UCD as an engineer...I figure worse case scenario he can't figure it out and I lose my dome light I can make fun of his UC education for a few months
Old 03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You can relocate the factory stereo under the dash where you wont see it to retain the keyless entry. You can also buy an installation kit that has a plastic bezel to go around the aftermarket headunit and matches the dash.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Putting the original radio behind the dash is a pretty slick idea. Would I have to splice into the orignal wiring to accomodate the second radio? Also, my alarm and keyless entry don't work as it is now, does anybody out there have a good "how to" on trouble shooting what could be the cause?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 AM
TRIAL USER

If you are not comfortable with doing head unit installs without directions, www.crutchfield.com has complete directions, manuals, for any install for your specific car. There products are a little more expensive than other companies but there 24/7 tech support and guidance is well worth the extra money for a complicated install.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You'll either need an aftermarket harness to relocate the factory stereo (as a previous poster mentioned) They basically have a second piggy back plug on them to plug the aftermarket headunit into. Or you can cut and splice.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any place you know of to pick up that piggy back plug? I've been looking for it but haven't had a whole lot of luck.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out Metra online.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I finally got around to replacing the radio and for anybody out there debating on paying someone else to do it save your money. I seriously did it on my lunch hour and the whole thing was plug and play.

I decided to get rid of the factory radio because my key fab took a dump on me and I don't really care if I have keyless entry or not. The dome light still work so that is not related to the radio like I've heard. The only thing I would say is keep track of where the screws are coming from so you can put them back in the right order and pull the radio fuse when working.

I mentioned an oil leak earlier but after switching from 5-30 the previous owner was using to 10-30 the leak went away (I'm even using a full synthetic so I guess it couldn't have been to bad a leak).

If you are getting the skunk2 short shifter be ready to modify the heat shield on your exhaust. I nearly had everything buttoned up and came across that issue...such a pain.

Anyway thanks for the input everybody! My '96 civic ex coupe now has a new short shifter, new cd player, new timing belt, clean title and body and I'm only in for a grand total of $2000 including the purchase of the vehicle! It could have been a lot more expensive without the tips I got here.