Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First build

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:42 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First build

I’m looking at building a d16 with bc rods and pistons bc cams bc springs and retainers with a edelbrock intake and was wondering on what injectiors and turbo I should get and what I can expect for power
Old 01-28-2019, 05:59 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: First build

What are your goals with the car?
What is your budget?
Your parts list needs to be muuuuuuch longer if you plan to turbocharge.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
What are your goals with the car?
What is your budget?
Your parts list needs to be muuuuuuch longer if you plan to turbocharge.
‘this
Old 01-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Trial User

I’m wanting somewhere around 500 and I my budget is pry around 3k or 4k. I know I need more for parts I’m just trying to get the motor alone done first
Old 01-28-2019, 06:41 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

So what are your plans for the car - daily driver, track only, etc?

I won't say you absolutely can't do it for $3,000 - $4,000, but you will have a hard time pulling it off. For 500 hp you will need sleeves (or at least CSS) to go along with your rods and forged pistons. You could easily spend your entire budget on building the engine to handle 500 hp. You'll be pushing the limits of a stock D-series transmission, you may want to look at a twin disc clutch, and you'll want to look at upgraded axles. Your entire fuel system will likely need to be upgraded, not just your injectors. Which fuel are you planning to make 500 hp on? Don't forget to factor in the cost of engine management, and upgrading the exhaust and cooling system. eBay kits are around $800, but a good quality entry level turbo kit starts around $2,500. You'll need some more money for other supporting modifications for the turbo and for a tuning session. After you do all of this, you'll still be rolling on stock suspension and brakes, which will also likely need to be upgraded to deal with 500 hp.

If you're serious about it, read some of the D-series build threads in the Forced Induction section. Good luck with your build.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Derek Towner
I’m looking at building a d16 with bc rods and pistons bc cams bc springs and retainers with a edelbrock intake and was wondering on what injectiors and turbo I should get and what I can expect for power
‘if your going to try achieve that power level I would recommend using a CSS block ( around 900.00 investment with shipping cost) or do a sleeved block. Use ARP head studs and a good head gasket such as JE proseal or Cometic. As for injectors, I’m guessing your planning on running E85, running 1700cc-2200cc seems to been the trend, I plan on 2200cc myself. Making 500hp with a d16 can be done, but the limits are much tighter than a b series engine and things probably needs to be done that much better in my opinion
Old 01-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Trial User

Thank you I’ve never built a Honda and didn’t really know we’re to start it will be street driven on e85 I live in Iowa so it’s at like every gas station. If you had any suggestions for that price range what would you say to do
Old 01-28-2019, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
So what are your plans for the car - daily driver, track only, etc?

I won't say you absolutely can't do it for $3,000 - $4,000, but you will have a hard time pulling it off. For 500 hp you will need sleeves (or at least CSS) to go along with your rods and forged pistons. You could easily spend your entire budget on building the engine to handle 500 hp. You'll be pushing the limits of a stock D-series transmission, you may want to look at a twin disc clutch, and you'll want to look at upgraded axles. Your entire fuel system will likely need to be upgraded, not just your injectors. Which fuel are you planning to make 500 hp on? Don't forget to factor in the cost of engine management, and upgrading the exhaust and cooling system. eBay kits are around $800, but a good quality entry level turbo kit starts around $2,500. You'll need some more money for other supporting modifications for the turbo and for a tuning session. After you do all of this, you'll still be rolling on stock suspension and brakes, which will also likely need to be upgraded to deal with 500 hp.

If you're serious about it, read some of the D-series build threads in the Forced Induction section. Good luck with your build.
‘I think he is doing much like you did, motor built to handle things first then add the rest as money comes. I think it’s going to be tight just putting the motor together with the budget giving but probably can be done, but to get to the 500 goal..... 10k probably
Old 01-28-2019, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you I’ve never built a Honda and didn’t really know we’re to start it will be street driven on e85 I live in Iowa so it’s at like every gas station. If you had any suggestions for that price range what would you say to do
Dax and myself both are in the middle of our projects right now, he just got his running and I believe has plans on turbo build, and I am Doing everything from ground up including the full drag setup on a working mans budget. I’m probably 6-7k in so far and probably 15k off from completion, but I’m hoping to have a 9 sec car this season..... you need to browse the forced induction board and read through everyone’s builds
Old 01-28-2019, 07:13 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with what turboLScrx has said. To stay in your suggested price range, I would lower your horsepower goals to be under about 350 hp. For a budget build, you could install a block guard and do a Vitara piston and rod build. Have the crank inspected and polished and have the block decked and honed, and bored if needed. Leave the head stock, but have it decked. Use a good MLS head gasket with ARP head studs. Upgrade the fuel pump and install 1000 cc/min injectors, and install some kind of engine management (Crome?) that will allow you to run e85 - stock lines and FPR should work. Upgrade exhaust to 2.5 inch. Some folks have reported good results from the eBay turbo kits, but I'm not sure I'd trust my money on that - I would recommend Go-Autoworks entry level kit - it's going to run you $2,200. Find someone to tune it, and don't just run a base map. There's also lots of little things you'll need that will add up quickly, so you still may blow your budget out. This isn't how I'd do it if it were my car and my money.