Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (pics)

I ordered a 3' catback piping kit from KTeller and was gonna just use that. But I'm a sucker for the Mad Tyte JDM angle!!! and I didn't like how the KTeller just came out straight. Plus, I wanted to avoid Honda's 90 degree, 90 degree, over the LCA bullshit. So here's what I did:

This is how the KTeller kit normally is lined up:

I used 3' piping cuz I'm a gangsta like that!!! Just kidding....I'm only boosted..

**Note** (There was a 3' crush bent system in the car before I did this, so I cut off the old system about 2 feet before the gas tank. This way, i didn't have to go out and buy any more 3' piping.)

I don't have any step by step pictures of everything being welded together, but I will try my best to explain:

I took the Long Straight piece from KTeller (the one with 1 slight bend in it), and I welded that to where the old 3' system was cut off. That 1 slight bend in the long piece allowed for the pipe to dip under the gas tank. This way, I would have a perfect amount of clearance to not have to worry about blowing myself up

Then, I cut out the piece circled in RED. I used this piece to give me the bend that would allow the muffler to exit through the cut out in the bumper. Plus, it would give me that Super Rad!! angle I talked about earlier.

So i had that ^^ welded to the previous piece under the gastank. From there, i just had my muffler welded into place (Apex'i N1) and that was basically it.

And now.....(drumroll )....the Finished Product:

I have NO cat and NO resonators. Most people would expect this to sound very raspy, loud, and obnoxious. Suprisingly, it's not! (at least for me). At idle, the car has a very quiet mellow tone to it. Maybe like an Apex'i WS or Greddy Sp. Under normal driving conditions, it has a deep steady tone. Not raspy or annoying at all. And when I boost and hit VTEC....it screams!!! But your car is supposed to scream when you get on it!!!
It looks crazy low in the pictures, but keep in mind that I am SLAMMED! I am very careful how and where I drive, so I don't scrape too often. I do occasionally, but it's kinda unavoidable when your this low.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any questions, let me know!

Modified by TopSecretEg6 at 2:06 PM 9/7/2005

Modified by TopSecretEg6 at 2:07 PM 9/7/2005

Modified by TopSecretEg6 at 2:09 PM 9/7/2005

Modified by TopSecretEg6 at 2:10 PM 9/7/2005
Old 09-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (TopSecretEg6)

Seems kinda low, but looks good..Like the angle also, do you think you could get a sound clip ?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (LShatchie)

I don't have anything I could record it with. Plus, uploading pics is about the extent of my computer skills

Also..usually sound clips online of exhaust systems don't do the system justice.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (TopSecretEg6)

I hope you don't live in a place where cats are needed
Old 09-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Cigarette Squad

sorry to be off topic and all but how much did you pay for the paint job cuz i wanted to do that kinda color on my hatch... other than that the exhaust looks really nice..
Old 09-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, you must have ***** driving around with like that. railroad crossing are gonna become new worse enemy. i like the angle BTW
Old 09-06-2005, 07:17 PM

Looks good, but i hope you saved some extra cash to buy more piping cause when your car goes down a dip or goes up a driveway... Ouch... Its either going to rip it up or rub the hell out of it and create a hole.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (xSpanksx)

MugenHonda: I got a hookup for inspection

So_Skilled: Paint job was done by the previous owner. It's not perfect, has a bunch of blemishes and such. But I plan to get it repainted by him this winter. He's gotten really good at painting lately.

FutureFastGuy: I've gone over tons of railroad crossing and haven't scraped on any! Maybe they are harsher where you live. I am very careful about where I drive her and how I drive her!

xSpanksx: I scrape occasionaly. I don't really go up driveways much anymore, unless they are flat. I don't even park in my own driveway cuz I can't make it up

Hope I answered all your questions!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How many inches is the pipe from the ground? and what kinna problems have you ran into? Do you worry about the tank itself? (Heat, pipe hitting it... etc...)
Old 09-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (Split Image Prez)

i have the rsr gt2 with no cat or resonator
i notice on my at 3,000rpm the tone changes

does yours does that too??
Old 09-14-2005, 10:42 PM

I mean no disrespet or anything but im wondering why this is such a popular style of exhaust... i can see where its good such as its almost completly straight and if you go up a sharp hill the exhaust tip may have less of a chance to bottom out... but IMO is very sloppy looking and looks cheap.

I am seriously asking why people like it, because I've been seeing more of them lately.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (deadlock32)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadlock32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I mean no disrespet or anything but im wondering why this is such a popular style of exhaust... i can see where its good such as its almost completly straight and if you go up a sharp hill the exhaust tip may have less of a chance to bottom out... but IMO is very sloppy looking and looks cheap.

I am seriously asking why people like it, because I've been seeing more of them lately.</TD></TR></TABLE> function over fashion.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

hmmm i dont think i could live with such an angle, but then again, i like things simple and things that dont draw attention to me. i guess thats where we differ
Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UNKNOWN_MEMBER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> function over fashion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't really think so.
people are making tons of power with a stock type 3 inch setup, including me.

this is pretty much a fashion issue
Old 08-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm, how do you go over speedbumps?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:58 PM

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

That would last about 10 seconds after pulling out of my driveway before tearing it off on a curb or speed bump. Side note I'm very happy with my Apexi WS catback
Old 08-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ekcivic9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmm, how do you go over speedbumps?</TD></TR></TABLE>

best bet would be diagnolly, but it probably still scrapes :-\

at OP:
Looks good man, definately looks nice.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i actually drive my car, this thing would be toast...

what would the effect be of going over a bridge...the car bounces..lands and completely flattens the exhaust?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:33 PM
GSP

Default Re: (instrument)

Whats the cost to benefit ratio? I mean are you really getting that much better of a hp/tq gain over other exhausts? I figure after you beat the **** out of it and have to replace it multiple times(or once), it wont be worth it. Or maybe I'm wrong. Just my questions about the setup. Tell me if im wrong.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (GSP)

D2 LCAs and no rear swaybar. That's pretty pointless, don't you think?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i don't really think so.
people are making tons of power with a stock type 3 inch setup, including me.

this is pretty much a fashion issue</TD></TR></TABLE> good for you you make alot of power. how about if someone is striving for every amount of hp they can get and they want to upgrade to a 3inch exhaust without much money? they can go to any muffler shop and get it straight through the back minimal crush bent for like what 100 bucks? or they can pay more for more bends all crushed out to like what 2.25 and not gain ****. like i said function over fashion. and what's wrong with fashion? dont be a hypocrite you have alot of "fashion" on your car.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">D2 LCAs and no rear swaybar. That's pretty pointless, don't you think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

explain! im pretty new to suspension tech
Old 08-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RockLee`)

I still am not sure what the "point" of having an under tank exhaust is, other than making a car almost impossible to drive.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: (Rednas)

Some people seem to think losing the bends and making it straight as possible yields the most amount of power, but I say bullshit and its not worth the headache.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (packthis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by packthis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some people seem to think losing the bends and making it straight as possible yields the most amount of power, but I say bullshit and its not worth the headache.</TD></TR></TABLE> whats the headache? i'm just playing devils advocate

Quick Reply: Finished: Straight back, under gas tank exhaust system (pics)