Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Finally got the little Hatch tuned... video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got the little Hatch tuned... video inside.

Guys,
Finally got her in Turbogixxer's hands.

I was very pleased with her performance as well as Kenny's work:

Linky

Just wanted to share. Can't wait to get her painted now!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Finally got the little Hatch tuned... video inside.

Very nice. I have almost the exact same setup. Tuned by Fred at HPC in like May 2010. Why did you decide to keep on the Vibratnt hi-flow cat instead of the resonator that I see your selling in your sig? Also, why did you decide to pick up cam gears and not get some cams while you were at it?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dekorum
Very nice. I have almost the exact same setup. Tuned by Fred at HPC in like May 2010.
Thanks man. Do you have your dyno graph?
...and out of curiosity (since we went the same route)... what made you go ITR as opposed to H2B or K?

Why did you decide to keep on the Vibratnt hi-flow cat instead of the resonator that I see your selling in your sig?
I put the high-flow cat not because of emission issues, but because I wanted the car to be as quiet as possible. I had originally bought the resonator with the intention of adding it to the WS2 I had yet to buy, only to realize the WS2 already has a resonator built in. Impulse purchase, I know.

Also, why did you decide to pick up cam gears and not get some cams while you were at it?
Both Kenny and Tom (B18C5-EH2) suggested for me to get adjustable camgears before tuning day.
Regarding aftermarket cams: Based on my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong), most aftermarket cams available for this engine have more aggressive non-VTEC lobes and negligible improvement for the VTEC lobes. I thought about getting 98-spec cams, but oh well.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm.. difficult questions haha. Well B series is still known to be the most reliable especially for high HP builds. But if I could redo it I would probably go K anyday because I would rather stay NA and you can make way more NA power with a K than a B. I had my dyno graph print out at one point, but never had a scanner to digitize it. It said something like 193 WHP and Fred told me that his dyno was a little off so it was really around 200 WHP. I was tuned on S300.

I wanted it a little quiet too so I put a Magnaflow resonator in with an ES tuning muffler when originally I just had the ES tuning muffler with no extra resonator at all. If I went high flow cat instead of resonator, will it really have gotten a lot more quiet?

Man, I wish I was recommended the same thing. I didn't really know that the camgears could be beneficially adjusted with stock cams. I guess I could have made a little more power. Are buddy clubs the best way to go? And I can't correct you if you are wrong because I am not sure, but I think that sounds right. I remember my friend had cams in his LSV and his idle sounded lopey as hell; that is obviously non-VTEC. I like the lopey idle though . If I decided to try to get more NA power out of a B series (which is not really worth it) I would probably get more aggressive cams and cam gears.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice Hp...Can't go wrong with getting a C5.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Must be a blast to drive.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm.. difficult questions haha. [...]
Ok. I was wondering if you had any specific reasons to go with B. I love the power that K and H2B make, but never considered K because I like a clean, factory-looking install. Not bashing the K-swapped guys (on the contrary), just personal preference. H2B is awesome... sometimes I still wonder if I should have gone that route instead... but for the time being, I am loving the little, high-revving ITR.

I wanted it a little quiet too so I put a Magnaflow resonator in with an ES tuning muffler when originally I just had the ES tuning muffler with no extra resonator at all. If I went high flow cat instead of resonator, will it really have gotten a lot more quiet?
Absolutely man. When I put the hi-flow cat the sound went down considerably.
I was extremely pleased with the decibel drop.

Are buddy clubs the best way to go?
I wouldn't say that. Based on my quick research, there are a handful of good brands. Personally, I wanted to find a good deal between AEM (cheap but good) and more expensive ones. I found a good deal on brand new BuddyClub ones from another member, so I went with them.

And I can't correct you if you are wrong because I am not sure, but I think that sounds right.
Check out this post I wrote a few months ago... the linked article is very interesting.

Originally Posted by Always_BROKE
Nice Hp...Can't go wrong with getting a C5.
Originally Posted by mcvtec
Must be a blast to drive.
Thanks... now she pulls very nicely, a blast indeed.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats Walter, I am glad you are enjoying it!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbogixxer
Congrats Walter, I am glad you are enjoying it!!!
XD
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds pretty awesome, too. Nice work!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great video. Magic tune!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love clean valve covers... Every itr motor with the stock vc is chipped all to hell.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StreetsideStig
It sounds pretty awesome, too. Nice work!
Thanks man.
I wanted her to be as quiet as possible. I am very pleased with the WS2 muffler, I had tried a 2.5" Vibrant Stealth muffler on there before using the WS2 and she was ridiculously loud. So I took the WS2 muffler to get powdercoated flat black, mounted it and cut the tip off. I like the way it looks too, I just have to smooth out the cut (muffler shop did it) and paint the border black:

Originally Posted by Libertariat
Great video. Magic tune!!!
Thanks Adam!

Originally Posted by hyperblu
I love clean valve covers... Every itr motor with the stock vc is chipped all to hell.
That's actually Tom's (B18C5-EH2) tuning valve cover. He let me borrow it so we could adjust the camgears while tuning. My vc is not chipped to hell, but certainly not as clean as Tom's! Shhh... don't let Tom hear we're talking about his VC, he already said I put down good numbers because of the dizzy he let me borrow (mine died the night before I drove to Miami)... last thing I need is for him to start giving credit to the valve cover too.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Ek Forever y0!

I've got a similar plan in the works. Custom 3" piping to an Apexi WSII universal 70mm.

I'm glad to hear the Apexi is that much better than the vibrant. I had considered a 3" vibrant as well.

H2B needs to be quiet
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got a similar plan in the works. Custom 3" piping to an Apexi WSII universal 70mm.

I'm glad to hear the Apexi is that much better than the vibrant. I had considered a 3" vibrant as well.

H2B needs to be quiet
Agreed. Wait until you hear mine, it's whisper quiet.
I didn't even know Apex'I sold universal WS2 mufflers. Good to know.

Also... regarding your custom 3" piping... VRS Exhaust makes some sweet, great fitting piping kits. I've been a customer for over 10 years, got multiple exhausts from them. Next time I drive to Miami I can pick one up for you. I even have a badass place in Hiram that does excellent work and will weld it together cleanly for you. Their MIG welds look like TIGs.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Apexi 3" does not sound good at all. Go with a good vibrant.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahh real vtec at work. less "snap-crackle-pop"
Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Did someone mention my valvecover?

...the cut for the cam gear access is actually really, really clean. A guy I used to work with cut it and used some sort of grinder to smooth out the edges.

I need a good header before Kenny has another crack at tuning mine.

Oh and the cam gears with stock cams?

My engine was able to post some significant midrange/top end gains from JUST making cam gear adjustments. Kenny (Turbo Gixxer) intentionally made small adjustments to cam gears only and we were able to plot the changes. ...and not every ITR engine will even like the same settings. Hell my own engine will probably like different settings once a different header and fuel/ignition timing maps are altered.

Congrats again on the sick numbers brooooo!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sweet car DSM! Looks like the tuning went very well. And Tom's valve cover looks sexy as ever.

Friend of mine had a vibrant muffler on her hatch with a GS-R swap, sounded good, but loud. She's running a Complete WS2 catback now and it's a lot quieter, sounds nice. Run a cat and it wont be raspy.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by DSMAddicted
Agreed. Wait until you hear mine, it's whisper quiet.
I didn't even know Apex'I sold universal WS2 mufflers. Good to know.

Also... regarding your custom 3" piping... VRS Exhaust makes some sweet, great fitting piping kits. I've been a customer for over 10 years, got multiple exhausts from them. Next time I drive to Miami I can pick one up for you. I even have a badass place in Hiram that does excellent work and will weld it together cleanly for you. Their MIG welds look like TIGs.
Mainstream?

I was going to have Mainstream swap/exhaust and tune the h2b swap.

http://www.vrsexhaust.com/TUBING_KIT.../honda_tk.html

$225 isn't bad. Add a $100 high flow cat (3" I would guess) and the Apexi 70mm universal and hopefully it will be pretty quiet.

If not I could add a vibrant 3" quiet resonator: http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1142-U.../dp/B001806YE2

It would all be stainless and last for years.

Logic Tri-Y + all the above = should be sick. Well worth a tune. I just hope Mainstream does good tunes.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you guys get people together, I will make the trip. You can view all my tuning in the link in my sig.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dam thats a sick setup
Old 01-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
Congrats again on the sick numbers brooooo!
Thanks BRO!
Originally Posted by 94EG8
Sweet car DSM! Looks like the tuning went very well.
Thanks man. I only wish I had more fuel. Even a simple Fuel Pump rewiring with better quality cable might have been enough to break into the 200s. But oh well... next time!

Mainstream?
Regarding the swap, I am still working with my contacts to see if they can do what you're looking for. Will definitely let you know how that goes. As far as exhaust shop is concerned, I recommend Exotic Exhaust in Hiram. Those guys are ridicolous, their MIG welds look like TIGs. Very nice people (father and son). The father is very popular among the local domestic market, his name is Buster. In-house mandrel bender and all, clean shop, fair prices. I'll take you there so you can check them out.

Originally Posted by Turbogixxer
If you guys get people together, I will make the trip. You can view all my tuning in the link in my sig.
Do it guys! You won't regret it... I might even do some slight fuel improvements and get my little shitbox retouched!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think getting a Walbro 255lph pump and leaving your stock 240cc injectors will really help you reach some more whp? I would think the injectors you have were already adjusted to almost 100% use.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think getting a Walbro 255lph pump and leaving your stock 240cc injectors will really help you reach some more whp? I would think the injectors you have were already adjusted to almost 100% use.
walbro would help, he was 114% at redline. They are super maxed out lol

Quick Reply: Finally got the little Hatch tuned... video inside.