Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions!

First off, Im not a really big fan of CAI for a couple of reasons:
1. The filter gets really dirty fast.
2. When it rains in Socal (not often) it pours and water usually floods the roads

I did not want to fork out the cash for a mugen or comptech intake system, which will not work without modifying for the motor that's in my car. Additionally the stock intake box would not bolt on correctly because of my catch can, which i could not find a good place for reolcation.

When i first saw the J's Racing Intake Duct I really wanted one for my car, until I found out how much it cost . Plus i did not like the idea of cutting up my bumper.

So as i searched the archives of HT and found some good info.
I went to Home Depot and purchased some 3" dryer hose and connected to a 3" port that i had, and ran it underneath my car.

Here are some pix of how the ducting and port looks under the engine bay w/ the catch can.

Then I decided that I wanted to build a heat shield for the intake. As i looked at the various members of HT, i decided that i wanted to enclose the entire filter.

We first mocked up the intake on paper and test fitted onto the car.

After the test fit, we went to Industrial Metal Supply in Irvine and bought a sheet of 304 Steel (couldn't afford aluminum ).
We traced the paper mock up onto the steel and made modifications that were needed.

This is how is looked after we finished cutting and filing out the edges.

After some bending and more modification, this is how it looks.

Yeah i know we messed up here...

Total cost was around $30 for the metal, ducting, and port. Thanks to my brother and my friend Jason for helping me out.

I know that I could've saved all the trouble by just using a stock intake box and ran the ducting to it (ala Comptech Ice Box) but i couldnt get it to fit properly due to the catch can.

I'm probably going to insulate the inside and overlay it with CF on the outside later on when I have more time and money.

I have a question about insulation..it is a good or bad idea?

Modified by soopafly828 at 1:49 PM 8/5/2004
Old 08-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions! (soopafly828)

Looks nice
Old 08-05-2004, 12:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions! (soopafly828)

that looks great! Any way i can get a copy of your trace model? Tweak it a little bit and you can make some extra dough
Old 08-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions! (skrewdriver8

thats pretty hot, i might want to do the same thign!
Old 08-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Default Re: Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions! (skrewdriver8

Looks good. Start making photo copies of the lay out and sell for a $1 shipped. One thing I think you should add is some sort of insulation either on the inside or outside. That sheet metal is still gonna get hot after a while.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow,nice DIY man. H22A
Old 08-05-2004, 12:56 PM

It looks good.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Electrician

I've always wanted to fabricate something like that, just never had the money or tools to do it. Sucks working part-time for $5.60 an hour.

Box looks really good though, love it!

How did you cut it? How much was the sheet of steel?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions! (JDM PRO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM PRO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that looks great! Any way i can get a copy of your trace model? Tweak it a little bit and you can make some extra dough </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GapxGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks good. Start making photo copies of the lay out and sell for a $1 shipped. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea making copies would be a great idea, but the only problem is that every car is different depending on the motor they have and what mount kit they use.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've always wanted to fabricate something like that, just never had the money or tools to do it. Sucks working part-time for $5.60 an hour.

Box looks really good though, love it! </TD></TR></TABLE>

dont worry, atleast you have a job, the job market sucks in Socal for graduating college students .

All you need is a cutter, a metal filer, something with a straight edge to bend the metal and alot of patience.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GapxGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> One thing I think you should add is some sort of insulation either on the inside or outside. That sheet metal is still gonna get hot after a while.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah thats what i was thinking, it gets heatsoaked really fast.

thanks for the input guys.

and where can i buy good and affordable insualtion. and im too lazy to order and wait on the Internet.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Electrician

Price of the steel sheet?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:14 PM

Make me a heat shield out of your diagram.for my EG too.I'll pay you $40.00.... by paypal..
Old 08-05-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Price of the steel sheet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt check the prices at Home Depot yet, but most people that are on HT that did this mod bought the metal from there.

the 304 steel was $2.50 per lb from Industrial Metal Supply in Irvine.
I went with 20 guage thickness at 10lbs.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Electrician

Paint it flat black.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions! (MNEJ1GUY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MNEJ1GUY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make me a heat shield out of your diagram.for my EG too.I'll pay you $40.00.... by paypal..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll keep that in consideration.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Paint it flat black.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was about to do that, then i thought about carbon fiber overlay just for looks, because it stands out too much right now, i want it to be more low-key.

Modified by soopafly828 at 2:39 PM 8/5/2004
Old 08-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

polish it, and put a big Type-R sticker on it

Looks awsome, great idea, im thinking of doing something very similar.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions! (xerox445)

Looks good, man.
Like you and others have said, insulation is a great idea.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions! (Slopoke)

looks damn good man. i agree with the padding.. i would do it with styofoam or suttin... resists heat and light weight =P
Old 08-05-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions!

That's pretty creative and it looks great. I don't know about eg's but when I was using Home Depot ducting in my ek I routed the leading end behind the bumper where the fog light would go. From the looks of yours, I'd worry about constantly scraping it and hitting road debris.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions! (NOSpeed97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xerox445 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">polish it, and put a big Type-R sticker on it

Looks awsome, great idea, im thinking of doing something very similar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha funny you should mention that, my friend wrote that on the heat shield just for kicks, but later on removed it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOSpeed97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's pretty creative and it looks great. I don't know about eg's but when I was using Home Depot ducting in my ek I routed the leading end behind the bumper where the fog light would go. From the looks of yours, I'd worry about constantly scraping it and hitting road debris.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it scrapes like no other, but its held up with a round trip through the Grapevine. So im pretty conviced it will not come off, unless it gets caught onto something.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

two thumbs up man.. it looks great. i though about something like that. but just been too lazy to try anything. but yeah, some went holes or flares would be good for it. it might get really hot in there during sunny days wouldnt it...
Old 08-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good job man!
Old 08-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good.

but you dont have any ducting to help direct air into that pipe in the first place??

you should get a scoop or something from your front bumper.

pretty nice that it jets down under the car like that, should def suck up more air than just sitting in the wheelwell or something.

but i'd say an actual scoop would be best.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:16 PM
B A N N E D

Thats creative.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kaoss_11)

looks good i might make one somewhat like it but i think i may mill a hond logo right in the middle of it if you need anything metal or stuff like that and r near me my dad owns a machine shop and i write all our programs for our cnc's. i could possibly help you out.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ablack934doorcivic)

that looks hot, honda logo.. ?? i think we know he drives a honda, skip the ricer bullshit

Quick Reply: Finally got around to modifying my intake system...I need some input and opinions!