Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Finally gave up...civic goin to shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally gave up...civic goin to shop

after doing an entire swap myself with almost zero experience/help, i go try to start the car and guess what ? it dont start. the starter works. but i cant hear the fuel pump and the plugs arent sparking. Also, i seem to have broken my knock sensor by pulling the pin out while tryna unplug it cause it wont go back in and stay. Therefore, i quit.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally gave up...civic goin to shop (daklown)

wow, thats too bad......
Old 10-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the coil and the ignitor in the distributor and also make sure that all the grounds are hooked up. Why quit now, you have the worst part done. Now all you have to do is spend a little more time and you'll have it. Start with the ground wires and go to the distributor. Don't let them win.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

ive checked a million things. I just cant fiigure it out. The fuel isnt working. Spark isnt working.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:57 PM

Default Re: (daklown)

um check ur fuses.

Dont forget the 1 under the dash.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:02 PM

Default Re: (couter)

just take it to the shop man...its a lot less stress on you...i did the same thing with my coupe...i did the swap...but i couldnt get it to start...so i sent her to the shop and had her fixed up all nice
Old 10-19-2003, 02:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daklown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive checked a million things. I just cant fiigure it out. The fuel isnt working. Spark isnt working . </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok have you tried a new distributor?? or one that works???

fuel pump?? have you tried a new one or one that works....

Old 10-19-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Re: (D16Z6-EJ1)

Check your main relay under the dash..It controls both the fuel and spark...Any CEL's make sure you have looked at everything before a shop rips you off and just changes a fuse or tightens a bolt.....(ground that is) You will feel much better if you swap it and get it running by yourself....About the KS..I suggest pulling it out of the block and checking it out. Make sure the contact point inside there is not bent over or anything..let me know if I can help any other way.
Old 10-19-2003, 04:15 PM
GPoodle

Yeah man just mess with it more doing what everyones said here. First swap i did about 3 weeks ago, I forgot the transmission ground and it would crank but not fire. I'm sure its just something stupid like that that you've overlooked. Check the ground on the thermostat, it HAS to be there and is one of the MOST common overlooked things in swaps.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Re: (degooser)

hes giving up.......

it can be frustrating...... but i'm come to H-T b4 i ever went to a shop
Old 10-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (couter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by couter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um check ur fuses.

Dont forget the 1 under the dash.</TD></TR></TABLE>

when in doubt check ur fuses
Old 10-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

which ones would it be ?

wtf is a relay ?

what pisses me off most is this: Hmotors has always had a GREAT reputation and ive never heard anything but hella praise for steve etc...so i didnt mind paying the higher price for my swap etc. But since then it has been nothing but suck. Motor took FOREVER to get here. It was missing sensors and mount parts i had to wait for. The motor looks like ***. The valve cover is scratched all to hell and the spark plug cover is like stained. The spark plug holes had **** in them. I pulled the dizzy cap off anf it was dry, but there was white **** on the contacts for the wires. I took the cap off my D and while transferring hte wires over, when i pulled on off all kinds of liquid came out... And AutoZone dont carry distros for B series and they cant seem to understand the concept of a motor that didnt come stock. Then my fuel pump randomly dont work when it worked perfectly before the swap. **** just keeps adding up.

I think i might be able to salvage the knock sensor. ill make a picture in paint to illustrate.

Fixable ? maybe glue it on or something ?

Modified by daklown at 8:36 PM 10/19/2003
Old 10-19-2003, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you use a different harness? my buddy did 2 swaps with place racing harnesses and both didn't start.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:36 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Default Re: (FMIDRC Racer)

i used my stock USDM harness off the D series.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:49 PM
GPoodle

Yeah about that water in everthing, when I got my motor from HMO, #4 cylinder had water about 1/2" above the top of the spark plug! I was like what the ****? and gave Steve a call, and I guess they spray everything with a solvent and pressure wash it, but water in the dizzy isn't good. And the corroded stuff in the distributor should all be replaced anyway on a used engine.
Sucks about the appearance though, mine was in decent condition and without any missing parts. Good luck keep us updated.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:12 PM
tangb2023

Default Re: (GPoodle)

that sucks..anyone near you to help u out. from ht. that is what i would try first..somone would probably help u out for 50-1-- bucks. i would if i was near..if u take ito a shop, with all the money they charge u.. u could have got a b18c1 or c5. just for a bad distributor and wiring.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:19 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

well. I might take d seires parts and rebuld my dizzy. cause theyre the same except housing.

any idea what wiring i coudl to to hook up fuel pump ? like wire to batter y temporaily and ground it to chassis and **** jsut to see. What color wires = waht ?
Old 10-19-2003, 06:33 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

up
Old 10-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take it a mechanic already, less stress on you
Old 10-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Default Re: (stock93cx)

id lvoe to. when i thought about it, i realized i cant afford it.;
Old 10-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a new cap and rotor. if the contacts are white their burnt meaning they need replaced. also i hope u took the tranny off and changed the clutch my swap from hmo didn;t have a clutch. also if your fuel pump isn't clicking on u have a bad fues or the pump is bad. meaning its not the damn swap. i konw its frustrating i forgot to chage my clutch and had to spend 350 more for a shop to change it for me. its a used engine. and steve says. replace timmingbelt, sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, waterpump, cap, and rotor. that all has to be replaced for the warentee. also i have a cap and rotor for a b16a2 or a desol with a b16a 20 shipped to u if u want them. also what motor did u pull out? if its a d16z6 wanna sell it to me?
Old 10-19-2003, 07:49 PM

this happened to me last week. just go to sleep and let the car sit for a day or two. then when you feel up to it, go into the garage, take all the advice from these guys in here and start checking one thing at a time. just do it with a clear head. if that still doesn't work then go to the shop.

the problem when you get frustrated and wanna call it quits it is staring you right in the face and you dont realize it. you will laugh or kick your self in the ***. i know i did. so excited to start the car that i fucked up the firing order. 8 days of working on the car on and off checking every ******* thing I THOUGHT POSSIBLE when it hit me it was the one thing i thought was 100% right from the start. === spark plug wires in the wrong order!!!! after that i went out and celebrated with my buddy, well deserved..

good luck man, i feel your stress
Old 10-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Default Re: (mycvc8u2)

hmm spark plug wires eh ? how do i check firing order ?

i blew the D up thats why i pulled it. ITs **** now the head is already gone.

also, any reccomendations on wires from like autozone or Advance or Oreileys ?

im thinking i can hook the pump up directly to the radio power and **** to make SURE its not a wiring problem. any input for that ?
Old 10-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea man, dont quit. like some said, you feel better after you know you did it yourself.
get a swap tutorial and use it as a check list.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1342. there you go. get a manual. Check your fuses. check compression, fuel delivery(crack the line while the car is in start), spark(pull plugs out in the wire and put close to ground somewhere), replace rotor and cap, try different ecu, check grounds, and so much more.

Quick Reply: Finally gave up...civic goin to shop