Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it...

Old 09-22-2003, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it...

Well Sun. was an auto-x so I (and help from Brian- Seth Davis) spent some of Sat. installing and adjusting suspension goodies. Some used Teins I had picked up and a front 24mm sway bar with some new bushings and old LCA's I had laying around. I've been putting off putting the bar and LCA's on due to laziness. My spring rates on my GC's were doing ok with no front sway and just 14mm rear (soon to be ugraded as well).

Thoughts: I drove with just the front sway bar installed before installing the coilovers and I can say that the suspension is much more responsive, I can actually feel the weight of the car and notice less push and body roll. For something that I got for free, I am definitely please.
Coilovers- having adequate damping ability (I was running GC's on stock shocks) is just amazing. Being that the spring rates are fairly stiff but the actual ability of the shock to do what it is supposed to do, makes them feel significantly better than my old set-up.

Downside- well, it rained all night Sat. and all day Sunday so I decided not to auto-x. Yes, I know, people still auto-x in rain but being as that I had just installed new suspension and that I'm not sure as to how it will respond under load, I decided to not push my luck under adverse conditions this time and to get a dry auto-x under my belt with the new stuff first. I also have had bad experiences on the street goofing around, so I decided to not push the car excessively to test things out. I'm sure from the better handling I have experience so far, it will be dramatically better in race conditions. Pretty soon too- next auto-x Oct. 5 And its a practice event too Pic time-

Sway bar and parts waiting to be installed.

Swaybar install aftermath

P1/Falken Goodness - Thanks Ryan!

Old Suspension

Newer Stuff- Thanks different Ryan!

Left overs from the install- up for sale too!! GC's with spring rates of 400f/500r!
My artsy for sale type pic

Old 09-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it... (ill phil)

Is it just me or are the pics not working?
Old 09-22-2003, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it... (ill phil)

What year are those GC's for? How long have you had them? How much do you want for them?

I have a 96 hatch, so I assume they will fit....are those spring rates considered "stiff"
Old 09-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a rear swaybar? If you don't you should have noticed MORE push with that front bar. That's exactly what it does, creates under steer.

Congrats though man. Are those RAs?
Old 09-22-2003, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it... (Fowler)

Congrads on the new suspension !

lookin' great

Old 09-22-2003, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it... (SlowB16)

Yeah the spring rates are pretty stiff I suppose. Stock GC's come with 230 or somewhere close front and like 180 or something rears. I've had them for around a year, but keep in mind I don't and haven't always daily driven my car. Hit me up on PM's I'm trying to figure out a good price.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it... (Fowler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fowler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have a rear swaybar? If you don't you should have noticed MORE push with that front bar. That's exactly what it does, creates under steer.

Congrats though man. Are those RAs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have a rear, but it is only 14mm though.... 22mm should be purchased and picked up soon. I was wondering if push was going to be more so, but after driving it feels a little more stable but as you point out- I may need to get the larger rear bar. Won't really be able to tell until auto-x when I can really get on it.

RE's by the way

Thanks Area51!

Modified by ill phil at 1:09 PM 9/22/2003
Old 09-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What wheels are those? I like the SSR competitions, but don't like the price tag that comes with them.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:40 PM

Default Re: A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it... (kommon_sense)

Sort of a silly question but what the hell...

Would you sell just the springs?
Old 09-22-2003, 04:50 PM

What kind of teins are those?

Its always cool to have new stuff.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How long for the front sway bar install. Im planning on doing mine this weekend also on an eg. What are some tips and tricks you recommend before i get under there.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it... (eg9ferio)

Give the public a price on those old struts and springs so we can fight over them.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it... (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What wheels are those? I like the SSR competitions, but don't like the price tag that comes with them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Buddy Club P1's

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delsolguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sort of a silly question but what the hell...

Would you sell just the springs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, selling the sleeves and coils together. The shocks come free.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of teins are those?

Its always cool to have new stuff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

RE's

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg9ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How long for the front sway bar install. Im planning on doing mine this weekend also on an eg. What are some tips and tricks you recommend before i get under there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Right around an hour and a half maybe. It would have gone faster without breaks and if the bitch pin (shift linkage) would have gone in faster. Altogether besides the shift linkage/exhaust, install of the new LCA's and sway bar was about an hour. Have a breaker bar handy or 1/2 ratchet for the LCA's if you need to swap them, it makes it much easier. Besides that its a breeze.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Give the public a price on those old struts and springs so we can fight over them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since so many are PM'ing and asking- $250 Shipped for coils and sleeves, shocks comes free with the hats if you really wanted to have them. PayPal fee is extra
Old 09-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

Wow - REs?
Old 09-22-2003, 09:40 PM

Tein's are ******' great! for my RA's and for your RE's!

Big step up y0!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it... (Prevail)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">400f/500r rear is not only stiff. It's whipping the *** out on rainy days kinda stiff...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The answer to that is not driving like a maniac and having proper shocks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kengs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow - REs? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep- I'm stoked! They feel amazing and are actually way more streetable then I expected. Seeing as the spring rates bumped about 300 or so in the front and only about 50 or so in the back but I actually got a shock body designed for it and that can handle makes it feel fine so far. The ability to adjust the height without Preload is pretty cool too

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prevail &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tein's are ******' great! for my RA's and for your RE's!

Big step up y0!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely- thanks!
Old 09-23-2003, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the teins look really nice...especially with the mounts....
good job...how do you like the handling now?
Old 09-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it... (VG-EG)

Handling is undoubtedly better. I've been daily driving it all over town the past couple of days and am extremely happy with how solid it feels. I tend to prefer really stiff with little flex and don't mind running them around 8-9 in front and 12 or so in the rear. Pretty damn stiff but the handling is amazing. Can't wait for auto-x.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why is there a zip tie on your teins?
Old 09-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Few Suspension Goodies and Thoughts...56k I doubt it... (Peagreenhatch)

They came on the rears since they were used. So no idea for the rears, but I figure the fronts are for the brake lines since there are no brake line brackets.