Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring..

Ok I just swapped a D16Y8 in my 92 DX...I am using all OBD1 stuff..P28 ECU...Well I wired VTEC up to the car like A4 for solenoid and D6 for Pressure switch which I grounded on the vtec solenoid..Anyways my car throws the Code 21 which to my recollection is the VTEC Solenoid or something to that affect..Well My car still hits Vtec and runs well...I have tried 2 ECU's both throw the same Code..21..Yes I did clear the ECU after changing them out and all..I am not sure if this is the only 2 wires I will have to run and if there is more which ones are needed I dont have? I am not using a Knock sensor so that is out of the ?..Has anyone had this problem? VTEC works but is throwing a 21 ECU code? Let me know what you guys think...Thanks for all the help.Honda-tech has got 2 of my swaps running.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:10 PM

Default Re: A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring.. (!)

why would you wire all the ahrnesses in the 92 civic are wired fro vtec!!!!!!! man dont u wish u searched!!! if not then you have to try switching the ecu pinouts.........
Old 09-29-2002, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring.. (Honda Tech)

Code 21 - VTEC spool solenoid valve

thats the piston thing on the inside of the solenoid.
if your vtec works i dont know what the problem is.
get a voltometer and make sure any wires related to vtec arent grounding out.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

How did you wire up **** that was ALREADY there?

Every 1992 Civic is already pre-wired for VTEC. I've owned 3 myself and I have done countless swaps into 1992 Civics and they required no VTEC wiring whatsoever.

Perhaps you screwed up the wiring? I'm thinking that you didn't do the wiring because as soon as you started you would have seen that the wires were already there.

Maybe your VTEC plug is broken, or the soleniod itself is bad, or the wires are now screwed up.
Old 09-29-2002, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring.. (B18C5-EH2)

so what your saying is that the DX wire harness already has the plugs hanging for Vtec. so on all the swaps ive done i didnt have to run wires through my fire wall and tap in to the vtec wires that go staight into the ECU. there just there huh!
not to sound like a *****, but could you show me a pic or something to prove me wrong.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:45 PM

Default Re: A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring.. (ek9beyatch)

When you say that the wires are already there..Do you mean the plug is already there? I have a 92 DX and I am using a 94-95 DX harness becasue My car had a 92 CX motor which had a 1 wire 02..Well the 94-95 DX harness had the 4 wire and I got it at a good price sooooo I used it...I dont understand how my car is wired for VTEC already..I mean is there a plug? All I did was run 2 wires..VTEC solenoid and the pressure switch to my ECU harness..I tapped into A4 and D6 the orange and white wire and the orange and blue wire..( I am not sure if that is the right colors..I did not get up and go look!!!)..Let me know what it is exactly you are talking about...Inlighten me and if I am wrong I will stand corrected!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wires are already in the stock harness. The only wire I had to add was the knock sensor when I put a B16 in my friends car. The VTEC pressure and activation switch were already in the right locations in the stock harness. If you are using a vtec ENGINE harness, all you have to do is plug it in for a single cam vtec motor. That has been my experience with it as well.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring.. (AzSi22)

ok needle dicks we were not using a vtec harness, we were using a DX harness. so we would have to run the wires, because they are not there. and if for some reason i am still wrong please prove me wrong.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man you guys don't read..

Tom said every 1992 Civic is prewired for VTEC.

If you're not using a '92 harness (doesn't matter if it's a DX or a CX...every '92 is wired for VTEC), then there's nothing to be proven wrong.

If you are NOT using a '92 harness, then yes, you possibly did have to wire VTEC...and there's still the chance that you didn't do it properly.

If you ARE using a '92 harness, then you shouldn't have touched it.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:37 PM

ok needle dicks we were not using a vtec harness, we were using a DX harness. so we would have to run the wires, because they are not there. and if for some reason i am still wrong please prove me wrong.
The 92 models have vtec wires from the ECU to the connectors on the passenger side of the engine compartment. You must add wires at this point if you are using the DX ENGINE HARNESS. You don't have to run wires to the ECU, just to the connectors near the passenger side shock tower.

[Modified by fixhondas, 7:38 PM 9/29/2002]
Old 09-29-2002, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring.. (fixhondas)

The 92 models have vtec wires from the ECU to the connectors on the passenger side of the engine compartment. You must add wires at this point if you are using the DX ENGINE HARNESS. You don't have to run wires to the ECU, just to the connectors near the passenger side shock tower.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring.. (hot_EG)

damn you Tom and hot eg not to be a dick but read carefully, he has a 92 yes it was prewired for vtec but he bought a 94-95 harness because it already had a 4 wire o2 setup in there.

now back the the poster dude, you should of kept the 92 harness in and just added the wire for the o2 sensor would of saved you alot of trouble.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:37 PM

Default Re: A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring.. (Civ-JDM)

damn you Tom and hot eg not to be a dick but read carefully, he has a 92 yes it was prewired for vtec but he bought a 94-95 harness because it already had a 4 wire o2 setup in there.

now back the the poster dude, you should of kept the 92 harness in and just added the wire for the o2 sensor would of saved you alot of trouble. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for reading it bro....I did not see any VTEC PLUGS just "hanging there" And Hot EG tell me the exact way to wire my VTEC if there is a chance I wired it wrong...Well hell tell me how exactly to do this...Man you guys jump on people too hard....Let me know what needs to be done...
Old 09-29-2002, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off guys the 92 dx is prewired for vtec, Not the engine harness itself but the main ecu harness to the passenger side strut tower. You will have to add 2 wires to that plug at the shock tower to the spool valve and the oil pressure switch. There are three wires total the the vtec activation. Spool valve, oil pressure and ground. You will have to get a manual to tell you what wires are which but the oil pressure switch and the spool valve get wired to the connector on the strut tower and you will have to find a nice little place for the soleniod ground on your own, I recommend grounding it where the other wires are on the top of the thermostat housing. If you have a 92 civic you will NOT have to run wires all the way to the ecu. When we did my swap in my 92 dx a few weeks back It only took us about 15 minutes total to wire up the vtec. The wires that you are looking for are there you just have to find the correct ones on the plug. HINT::: on the top of the connector on the firewall side of the plug there are two wires that go into the connector from the ecu but dont have wires coming out of the engine side of the connector, These are the two wires that you need.
Good luck buddy.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:10 PM

Default Re: A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring.. (hondafrk)

So basically Tapping into the wires at the ECU will not work? Is this what you are saying? I am not sure why this would be this way...Thanks for the help,and actual reading of the post..
Old 09-30-2002, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just curious...If all the 92's are prewired...How about the 93-95 models.
Ihad to run the wires from the plug pigtails I made all the way into the
ecu and into the right pin locations on my 94-cx.
is it because of the year...
does anybody have a clue???
Old 09-30-2002, 07:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A few ?'s on my Vtec Wiring.. (GreenBean)

Just curious...If all the 92's are prewired...How about the 93-95 models.
Ihad to run the wires from the plug pigtails I made all the way into the
ecu and into the right pin locations on my 94-cx.
is it because of the year...
does anybody have a clue???
93-95 only the SI/EX/VX had vtec wiring..the rest didnt.
So the 1993-95 DX and CX DID NOT have it.

[Modified by 2 B 4GO10, 11:04 PM 9/30/2002]