Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Few ?'s about my 92 hatch and the B16.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few ?'s about my 92 hatch and the B16.

Just picked up a 92 DX hatch with a B16A2. Needs a new head stud and head gasket.

I know that the studs need to be torque wrenched down. But, other than that, is it a pretty straight forward process to change the head studs and the head gasket?

I also need a E-brake cable. Rear Si Disc conversion on the hatch. Whats the difficulty level of installing an ebrake cable?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Few ?'s about my 92 hatch and the B16. (EG_Civic_GSR)

Not very hard. Do you have to remove the whole rear disc swap?

When I had mine down, I put new ones on, just so I knew I had them done. But then I sold the car. It's pretty straight forward and all you have to do is.. take out your center console, then you'll see your ebrake. Loosen up the ebake nut, then pop the cable off. I used to ride bmx, so that was easy, just like installing a cable on a bicycle.

Then you have a couple of 10mm bolts underneath, depending on the side, you may have to remove the heat shield on the exhaust side.

The headgasket, thats another story. I would make sure your head isn't warped. Buy all new studs IMO, and a new headgasket. I trust only honda for these parts though. But my brother is also a Honda Tech, so I let him service my motor.

Let me know if you need any more help.

I'm jealous of you having rear disc on your hatch, mine has stock cx brakes...ahhahah
Old 10-24-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Few ?'s about my 92 hatch and the B16. (Redcoupe)

and what should the nuts on the head studs be torqued down to?

Buying a torque wrench tomorrow to add to my growing collection of tools.

Another ?....The oil pan. I think I may need a new one. Seems like oil is slowly leaking out of it. Is it as simple as removing the old pan and replacing it with a new one?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Few ?'s about my 92 hatch and the B16. (EG_Civic_GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG_Civic_GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and what should the nuts on the head studs be torqued down to?

Buying a torque wrench tomorrow to add to my growing collection of tools.

Another ?....The oil pan. I think I may need a new one. Seems like oil is slowly leaking out of it. Is it as simple as removing the old pan and replacing it with a new one?</TD></TR></TABLE> You may wanna call your local dealership, and ask to speak to a tech. Or go online and look for a manual. I use my brothers honda book, but a hanes isn't that bad. I have one of those also, but I barely use it.

Buy a good torque wrench, don't cheap out.

Oil pans. Is it your drain plug leaking, or is it your oil pan gasket? If you have to replace the gasket, its not that hard. Just drop it down, and put a new one on. Just clean the surface really good before you put it backup. I would also change the oil and filter, even if it was just done. But again, that is just me.

If it is leaking thru the drain plug, try some thread tape, I tried it on mine, and it held pretty well. My threads were messed up on the drain pan, so thats why. Always use a new crush washer when messing with the drain bolt, and you may try getting a new drain plug. I did that also recently.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Few ?'s about my 92 hatch and the B16. (Redcoupe)

The oil pan is leaking from the gasket. Ill just change that and see where it takes me.

Do I have to worry about air, or any other mishaps that can go wrong with taking the head off and putting a new head gasket on?

And as for the head studs, Its just taking the old ones out, and putting the new ones in right?

Sorry for all the repeated ?'s. I have only done MINOR work on my old EG before it was stolen. Put on the I/H/E. Changed disc brakes up front, drums in the back, Starter.

I also greatly appreciate ALL the help I am getting.