Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

few ?'s about a 96 ls into my 95 DX, anyone who has done a B series swap please take a look!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few ?'s about a 96 ls into my 95 DX, anyone who has done a B series swap please take a look!!

Well i did some searching before you guys tell me to, and i've found a lot of info but im still confused onto some things.

Heres the scenario:
1996 B18 LS motor its going into my 1995 Civic DX coupe. The motor was in a CRX before so it came with a cable tranny which im going to sell and buy a GSR tranny prob.

I have the motor, engine harness (which is cut right off at some point), stock mounts i belive, starter, no alternator, no belts, no header, no shift linkage (obv since it was a cable tranny), no axles, and no ecu.

AS you know the motor is obd2. My friend that got me the motor said hes done a few swaps and he did the same motor into his old CRX. now hes telling me he can pretty much swap this car in and wire it up but for some reason im not quite sure i belive everything will work, but i could be wrong.

My main concerns is the whole OBD 2 into a OBD 1 car. Im pretty sure that i want a ECU from a 96 integra correct?, i've heard things about people being able to chip any ecu to work with a honda motor but i'd rather keep it simple. Im pretty sure i will need one of those conversion harnesses to keep things simple right?
If you guys can just answer these few questions and let me know if im right with what im saying i'd GREATLY appreciate it.

Am i supposed to be using the stock harness in my car? D15b? obv both motors have no VTEC so i don;t have to wire that up.

I heard things about needed a OBD1 Distributor is that correct? or would my motor probably already have that since it was in a CRX

Shift Linkage, do i need B series? or can we modify the D series to work?

Exhaust, after i get the b series header will it bolt up to the stock pipes underneath the car?

I guess thats about it, if anyone has some tips that can help me out... small things that would help that i might not know i would DEF appreciate it. Im only being so **** about this swap because its my only car, and i need to have it done in a weekend. I have no doubts that me and my friends can pull it off since i will be with 1 kid who has done a sr20det into his s13 and the other who i said has done honda swaps before, i just want to make sure it goes smoothly and im not gonna be fucked when the motor is half in. i would have gotten a obd1 motor if i could have but for the price of this one i couldn;t pass it up. thanks guys appreciate any help you can give me

Old 04-13-2007, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few ?'s about a 96 ls into my 95 DX, anyone who has done a B series swap please take a look!! (f

sorry i can't be of more help, but i've heard good things about this book.

http://www.themotorbookstore.c....html

good luck
Old 04-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few ?'s about a 96 ls into my 95 DX, anyone who has done a B series swap please take a look!! (f

if the motor was just pulled out from a crx, you will have to change the little driver side bracket, the little one that is bolted onto the motor, not to the car. change that to a 94-00 one, so it will bolt into your car. the harness, just reuse your stock civic one, shift linkage you will need it from a b series. you can't use the stock dx, sorry! dizzy you will need to change cause he probably had an obd0 dizzy on there in his crx. as for everything else, it should bolt up fine! unless he changed the intake manifold from the obd2 to obd0!? you will need to change the manifold on that then...but yea, hopefully that this helps you out a bit...don't switch your car from obd1 to obd2...keep it obd1...way better and less sensors used...and not sure about the exhaust part, but it should, unless you are using a stock gsr header...then it won't...good luck with the swap...
Old 04-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry im not trying to jack ur thread but which ECU to use cause im doing the exact same swap? I will be keeping mine obd1 as well, so grab an ECU from a obd1 teg, or use the obd2 teg's ecu? Which dizzy to use, obd1 paired with obd1 ecu, or obd1 dizzy with obd2 ecu?? I'm assuming whichever route, to use the corresponding wiring harness? I plan on using the complete teg's wiring harness in my swap, so use the obd1 harness with obd1 ecu and dizzy???
thanks!
Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

use your current civic wiring harness and make the necessary changes to it when you come to one - I am not sure if you have the 3 wire iacv or not (b series is 2 wire)
use the civic injectors
get an obd1 b series alternator
b series starter
belts will match the engine
get a b series header (not oem b16 - too short)
get b series linkage (no, d series will not work)
get an obd1 b series distributor (can ID obd by the plug)
you may have an issue with the header flange lining up with the cat...may not (i didnt)
Old 04-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

thanks...i really appreciate it. will let u know how everything goes.