Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Few questions, SOHC Zex camshaft...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions, SOHC Zex camshaft...

Hey guys, I was thinking about purchasing a Zex camshaft. But I have a couple questions...

Right now I just have the basic 3 bolt-ons and a lightened flywheel. I already gotta work my way to replacing all the belts anyway so why not drop in a cam. But my question is, which camshaft would be best for a n/a DD, the ZEX-59100 or 59300? It's a rebuilt D16Z6, has maybe around 70k since the rebuild. I'm not concerned about how rough the idle is or MPG, if I got the 59300 is it true that the stock valve train and cam gear will be sufficient enough even if it suggests the upgraded valve springs? And if I go through with it, is the valve lash still set at factory specs or will there be a suggested valve lash in the paper work? Also, any other camshaft recommendations out there?

I have no plans to turbo, nos, pulling jaw-dropping track times, or swapping the motor but I'am looking to get as much out of a N/A Z6 as I can for as long as I have the car.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Few questions, SOHC Zex camshaft...

Good luck with it
Old 02-22-2010, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

unless someone on here has the same set up you're considering, i don't think you'll find the answers you need here.

i would suggest you contact a reputable cam company in your price range with your questions (zex if you'd like, there are others like Akmee, Delta, Web/Bisimoto...). they should be able advise you on the appropriate cam for your goals and any other changes or recommended parts to go along with it.

for further research try D-series.org and o n e c a m o n l y . c o m
Old 02-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes stock valvetrain is sufficient but only to the stock rev limiter with the 59300 cam.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JdmOdz
Good luck with it
you wanna STFU. You just post in every fkn thread saying goodluck with that goodluck with this etc. Just totally useless posts right on the border of spamming.

If you want to get more power, get a Y8 Intake Manifold, Throttle Body Coolant Bypass, Heat Sheilding Intake Manifold Gasket, Intake, Header, and E3 Diamondfire Spark Plugs.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Reject Papi

from what i've read, the zex cam is a decent cam. try checking out www.d-series.org and look around. alot of those guys use them. another thing i have seen before, is that the jdm d15 sohc vtec cam is pretty close to the same specs as the zex cam. the zex cam is made by comp cams, so it will be a decent upgrade by a reputable company. i have also read that the zex cam is made out of a softer material than a stock cam, therefore needing oil with certain zinc additives. but, like i said, check out d-series and see what those guys have to say. its not bad for the money.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimster480
you wanna STFU. You just post in every fkn thread saying goodluck with that goodluck with this etc. Just totally useless posts right on the border of spamming.

If you want to get more power, get a Y8 Intake Manifold, Throttle Body Coolant Bypass, Heat Sheilding Intake Manifold Gasket, Intake, Header, and E3 Diamondfire Spark Plugs.

are you drunk sir? i dont understand why you think BIGGER IS BETTER sometimes it is but eh? cmon
Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhammond_82
from what i've read, the zex cam is a decent cam. try checking out www.d-series.org and look around. alot of those guys use them. another thing i have seen before, is that the jdm d15 sohc vtec cam is pretty close to the same specs as the zex cam. the zex cam is made by comp cams, so it will be a decent upgrade by a reputable company. i have also read that the zex cam is made out of a softer material than a stock cam, therefore needing oil with certain zinc additives. but, like i said, check out d-series and see what those guys have to say. its not bad for the money.
jdm d15b cam is like a stage 1 pretty much increased duration not lift
Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by owneyboy
are you drunk sir? i dont understand why you think BIGGER IS BETTER sometimes it is but eh? cmon

what do u mean bigger is better? I never said anything about that. But when it comes to flowing, bigger ports = more power. I was raging at another kid though because he posted in every topic on the first page saying good luck with that.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aight, well thanks for the suggestions, looks like I've got a lot more to research.

Originally Posted by jhammond_82
Cool, I'll head over to D-series and see what they suggest and find out about the oil too, never knew that until now. Pretty sure I'm gonna go through with it.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Reject Papi

well, its not that it wears the cam down in a few miles. i belive it was over the period of 20,000 miles that you could pull the cam, and the specs would be a little off. now, that is also an issue with comp cams for like, small blocks and such. i'm not saying its not reliable, i'm just saying that some of the people that have used the cam have seen them wear down a little more than say, a crower cam, or a bisimoto cam.