Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A few questions about the b16a2's capabilities. Stock capabilities? Turbo/All motor compression sug

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions about the b16a2's capabilities. Stock capabilities? Turbo/All motor compression sug

a) how high can a stock b16a2 rev without risking engine damage?
b) what internals are the limiting factor on engine speed?

I'm trying to do some research to see what path would be best for my desires. I have a b16a2 already. Just don't know what I want to do with it.

c) How much boost could a b16a2 with eagle rods and 8.8 or 9.1 comp. pistons hold? Is there another major engine component that is as important to strengthen for boost as rods and pistons?

If I decide to forgo boost and stick with N/A power (the power of honda engines when in the thick of vtec astounds me, even my stock b16a2...),

d) what kind of power has generally been made by a small motor like the b16a2 with work done to it (without boost). When I say work, I'm imagining I would go higher compression liek 11.x, perhaps a more aggressive cam, and maybe some sort of head polishing?

I'm not a complete noob, but I have a LOT left to learn before this project reaches fruition. Any answers or help are greatly appreciated!
Old 10-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: A few questions about the b16a2's capabilities. Stock capabilities? Turbo/All motor compression

a) Stock rev limit.

b) The stock ones.

c) Wrong question. Right question &gt; "How much HP can a stock block handle?" Run a <U><FONT COLOR="red">Search</FONT></U> in the Forced Induction forum.

d) Run a <U><FONT COLOR="red">Search</FONT></U> in the All Motor forum.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1.) Stick with the stock redline on a stock longblock.

2.) There are a few factors that limit your redline. If you want to push it further, you'll first want a better balanced bottom end, a built head to handle the higher revs (upgraded valvetrain and cams), head work in order to make power above the stock redline, etc...

3.)If you want to build the bottom end for boost on stock sleeves, you're limited to around 500whp. Past that point, you're really gambling on the stock sleeves. You can have the block sleeved which will allow you to make 700+ if you really care to.

4.) If you want to stay NA, you can make a decent amount of power, but dollar for dollar, you'll make more power going FI.

Just look around and do your research before jumping into anything...