Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

few engine mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few engine mod questions

lookin for some insight, H-T. I'm lookin into putting a bunch of time/money into my d16a (sohc vtec) motor; pistons, rods, cams, etc.

a) which should i do first, does it matter, or should i save up and buy them all at once?
b)what brands should i get? i was lookin into getting skunk2 camshaft and eagle rods, but idk about pistons...
c)high or low compression pistons? im gonna be running boost but not for a little while till i can afford a turbo. so should i buy high compression pistons untill i get my turbo?

any other info would be greatly appreciated, im pretty new to the whole opening my engine thing.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few engine mod questions (d[sick]sTeena)

My Single has the whole head done in Skunk2 Parts not cheap but i think it was worth it. I have Eagle Rods and factory pistons
Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few engine mod questions (cln92eg)

whole head meaning camshafts, retainer clips, and valve springs?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cam, Cam Gear, Dual Valve Springs, .005 Oversized Valves , and Retainer Clips,
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how hard was installing all that stuff?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With all the right tools it was easier then I though but I still had help from my buddy at his shop so the only thing i couldnt do was the .005 Over Sized Valve and port and polish and port match
Old 01-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d[sick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sTeena] how hard was installing all that stuff?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Installing the keepers, valve springs and retainers is fairly simple. My buddy showed me how to do a few and then I did the rest. If you have a good valve spring compressor that is ideal.

Not to discourage you in any way, but with all of the money you are going to dump into that that single cam for the power you will make wouldn't you be better off swapping a DOHC of some sort?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we wouldnt go cheap on replacing a heart so dont go cheap on your cars head. do it the right way with something like skunk 2, take your time, and race the **** outta it when it done. how much boost you want?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few engine mod questions (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Installing the keepers, valve springs and retainers is fairly simple. My buddy showed me how to do a few and then I did the rest. If you have a good valve spring compressor that is ideal.

Not to discourage you in any way, but with all of the money you are going to dump into that that single cam for the power you will make wouldn't you be better off swapping a DOHC of some sort? </TD></TR></TABLE>
He is very true but its just so much more fun beating DOHC's and K20's lol
Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
He is very true but its just so much more fun beating DOHC's and K20's lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha... very true. Though he does live in CA and I could see the cost of tickets and BAR visits totaling the cost of a K20 lol.

OP: If you are going to redo your SOHC head with a complete vavle train, cams, and possibly a P&P head I would think about having another longblock on the side so you can toss it in when it comes time to visiting the BAR ref for a ticket.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Haha... very true. Though he does live in CA and I could see the cost of tickets and BAR visits totaling the cost of a K20 lol.

OP: If you are going to redo your SOHC head with a complete vavle train, cams, and possibly a P&P head I would think about having another longblock on the side so you can toss it in when it comes time to visiting the BAR ref for a ticket. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats True man im glad i moved out of CA lol only sometimes
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP: If you are going to redo your SOHC head with a complete vavle train, cams, and possibly a P&P head I would think about having another longblock on the side so you can toss it in when it comes time to visiting the BAR ref for a ticket. </TD></TR></TABLE>

DAMN that sucks. ive heard they might bring these laws up to WA in a few years.... and im pissed. emission ftl.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was actually thinking about that, but i hate swapping motors, i actually swapped this motor into my car and it was a bitch. i like my sohc and i want to keep the compression lower so i can run boost, making sohc&gt;dohc in this sense.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few engine mod questions (93egSLEEPER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DAMN that sucks. ive heard they might bring these laws up to WA in a few years.... and im pissed. emission ftl. </TD></TR></TABLE>I think KCK is safe from all those laws lol
Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we wouldnt go cheap on replacing a heart so dont go cheap on your cars head. do it the right way with something like skunk 2, take your time, and race the **** outta it when it done. how much boost you want?</TD></TR></TABLE>
you know i haven't even really thought about that, but i would like to build my head so i dont fuuck it up with boost, what is a good psi to run on a built head?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d[sick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sTeena]
i was actually thinking about that, but i hate swapping motors, i actually swapped this motor into my car and it was a bitch. i like my sohc and i want to keep the compression lower so i can run boost, making sohc&gt;dohc in this sense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ever think about BAR'n a B18b1 (LS) motor? You could make decent numbers on it without even touching the head. Worst comes to worst, you could have a couple stock parts to slap back on instead of swapping out motors.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d[sick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sTeena]
you know i haven't even really thought about that, but i would like to build my head so i dont fuuck it up with boost, what is a good psi to run on a built head?</TD></TR></TABLE>
the head isnt the MAJOR concern its the pistons and rods. id say 8 to 10 max daily... but 8 more then likely on a stock bottom end.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not a boost man but 8 pounds is a safe area for stock hondas. My buddy runs 8 on his GSR and its kinda built
Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not a boost man but 8 pounds is a safe area for stock hondas. My buddy runs 8 on his GSR and its kinda built </TD></TR></TABLE>
its tough to run more then 10 for a DD or its just impractical. 8 on a gsr built some is prolly fun as ****.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im planning on doing rods and low compression pistons before i turbo. whats a safe redline with 8lbs of boost with connecting rods and pistons and all that mumbo jumbo?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a guy i know ran a d16y8 fully built made 442 to the wheels on 9.0:1 vitara pistins and eagle rods w/ a fully builtt skunk 2 head. it also was pushing out 28 psi of boost. he redlined at like 9400 to keep the turbo spooled up and it did well. 10.8 in the 1/4 miles
Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
its tough to run more then 10 for a DD or its just impractical. 8 on a gsr built some is prolly fun as ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Breaks them loose in 3rd on the highway lol
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d[sick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sTeena]im planning on doing rods and low compression pistons before i turbo. whats a safe redline with 8lbs of boost with connecting rods and pistons and all that mumbo jumbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>
He has his RedLine Set at 9200 but hits it most the time in first and second cause it hits boost and wraps out so fast lol
Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Breaks them loose in 3rd on the highway lol

He has his RedLine Set at 9200 but hits it most the time in first and second cause it hits boost and wraps out so fast lol </TD></TR></TABLE>
damn my tach only goes to 86 and its in the red after 72 haha. im lookin forward to a high rpm range.

should i buy high compression pistons and buy low compression when im ready to turbo, or just buy low compression and save the time/money/hassle?]
Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn my tach only goes to 86 and its in the red after 72 haha. im lookin forward to a high rpm range.

should i buy high compression pistons and buy low compression when im ready to turbo, or just buy low compression and save the time/money/hassle?]</TD></TR></TABLE>
Now that im not sure of cause u gotta tear half the motor down to change them but then again I dont know how it would run with low compression pistons on all motor
Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too bad you don't want to swap... i would just buy another single then build it on the side so you can get everything you want to break in with each other. then swap it in there! single to single swaps are cake!

Quick Reply: few engine mod questions