Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A few B16A SiR II Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few B16A SiR II Questions

I just orderd my OBD1 B16A SiR II from HMOTORSONLINE. It should be here in a week or so. Where is a place to find out good information about that motor. It's OBD1 and I am putting it into my 00 civic. So as far as I know I just need the rear mount, and the OBD2 to OBD1 harness. Anything else? What weight oil does the b16a call for? When does VTEC kick in? Also What all would be a good idea to replace before the motor goes in.

Spark Plugs
Wires
Timing Belt
Tensioner
Rotor
Water Pump
Cam Seals
Coolant
Oil

What else would be good to change.....Thanx for the help in advance. I searched but when you type in b16 you know how much **** you get.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: A few B16A SiR II Questions (Stylinhonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stylinhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> What weight oil does the b16a call for? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Either 5w-30 or 10w30, depending on weather conditions. I personally use 10w-30.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stylinhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When does VTEC kick in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

6200 RPMS.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stylinhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also What all would be a good idea to replace before the motor goes in.

Spark Plugs
Wires
Timing Belt
Tensioner
Rotor
Water Pump
Cam Seals
Coolant
Oil

What else would be good to change</TD></TR></TABLE>

Replace it all. It is just a good idea.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 11:29 AM

you know u cannot smog that right?

vtec is around 5500 stock i think i have mine chipped so i dun remember...

it says 5 30w for oil but i like mobile 1 10 30w and i have used redline 10 40w b4

its a good motor too i like it. except mine sounds like a rattle can when i put my headers and test pipe on. but deffinitly a big difference in power just with those 2 bolt ons. then i got an aem intake

soon to come cams cam gears pulley kit koni yellows with ground control.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on a great motor. I usual put 5W-30 synthetic which brand up to you but make sure you put a good filter like WIX do not put Fram or OEM honda because they are the same . Your VTEC if you are using the stock JDM ECU is at 5,700 good luck and you must replace al l!! and get a valve adjustment A.S.A.P

Spark Plugs
Wires
Timing Belt
Tensioner
Rotor
Water Pump
Cam Seals
Coolant
Oil
valve adjustment

Old 09-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A few B16A SiR II Questions (EJK20R)

replace the clutch!

i had a bad clutch on my where it grinded all my gears

vtec kicks in at 5800
Old 09-11-2005, 11:38 AM

http://img14.imagevenue.com/im...1.jpg
Old 09-11-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: A few B16A SiR II Questions (komat)

ohh yeah you gotta watch out cuz sometimes you get tranny's with fucked up syncros my friend bought a b16 tranny online and 3rd gear syncros was fuckedd up grinded every shift over 4000 rpms and the labor on that ***** like 785 if u get it done at a place
Old 09-11-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: A few B16A SiR II Questions (EJK20R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJK20R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure you put a good filter like WIX do not put Fram or OEM honda because they are the same .</TD></TR></TABLE>

OEM filters hold better oil pressure than aftermartket. I used to have a problem losing vtec when I used Fram, then I asked around. Many people I spoke with told me that the aftermarker filters don't hold the oil pressure as well. I switched back to OEM, and I never have a problem.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few B16A SiR II Questions (nighttrain33)

Thank you for all the help already. Ill prolly stick with OEM filters for now. Used a fram once, and hated every 3,00 miles of it. There are a lot of different VTEC engagement answers, what one is it lol. The main reason I got this motor and tranny was because my syncros in the y8 tranny were going out bad. So i hope and from what i have heard from locals and HT Hmotors has some nice ****. Im going to go ahead and change all of the above, and get some ngk wires and plugs. Ive got the password jdm powerchamber in the mail!!!! Any other swap info or parts anyone would recommend getting/doing.

Skunk2fagnatic....try to read the last sentence, but thanx for your time looking at the thread.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stock vtec is 5800
jdm p30 ecu
unless u get a chipped p28
Old 09-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Mr. Indecisive

pmed u
Old 09-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya i have personally been to the hmotor wearhouse.. its very nice they got nice ****... i am using a jdm p30 and vtec kicks in constantly at 5700.. granted its a bit high for my motor.. but im building my ecu right now
Old 09-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siregcivic)

Thanx for the help. I hope my Hmotors swap is clean. Il post pics when I get it.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:26 PM

Stylinhonda, if you are going to use a OEM Honda oil filter, use one from a S2000, otherwise you will get a rebadged FRAM oil filter(which you stated you didnt want), I personally use Purolator filters & I love them. But its your call, Good luck.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: (C2daIzZle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C2daIzZle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stylinhonda, if you are going to use a OEM Honda oil filter, use one from a S2000, otherwise you will get a rebadged FRAM oil filter(which you stated you didnt want), I personally use Purolator filters & I love them. But its your call, Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The dealers are selling rebadged Fram oil filters now? Hmmm. Maybe I should be getting mine somewhere else.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stylinhonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stylinhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanx for the help. I hope my Hmotors swap is clean. Il post pics when I get it. </TD></TR></TABLE>]

Sweet... Im looking foreward to some pics of it when it comes if ya can. I am thinking about getting a B16 from there and would like to know how carefull they are with shipping/packaging etc.

Good luck with the swap.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good choice on the motor, and using HMO. My swap was very clean and is in perfect shape. Only problem I had with HMO was they sent one wrong axle. No big deal as I got one from Carquest for $49 but all e-mails about the axle were never returned. Oh well...

I'd do a t-belt and water pump and also a clutch. Mine was low on life but I planned on replacing it anyway. Also get new upper and lower radiator hoses from 99-00 si, and a throttle cable from a 94-95 del sol VTEC. They are like $25 from Honda.

Other than that, have fun with it!
Old 09-11-2005, 04:36 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: (nighttrain33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The dealers are selling rebadged Fram oil filters now? Hmmm. Maybe I should be getting mine somewhere else.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>I feel your pain Shane, I always hate hearing this complete and total bullshit because I worked for Honda for years. One of the parts managers heard this FRAM filter rumor and cut open an OE filter and a FRAM, huge difference internally. If you want to believe the BS that OE filters are FRAM or that there is any better made oil filter out there (without spending $20) go ahead. IMO OE oil filters is the way to go.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I feel your pain Shane, I always hate hearing this complete and total bullshit because I worked for Honda for years. One of the parts managers heard this FRAM filter rumor and cut open an OE filter and a FRAM, huge difference internally. If you want to believe the BS that OE filters are FRAM or that there is any better made oil filter out there (without spending $20) go ahead. IMO OE oil filters is the way to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was kidding. I have heard this somewhere, but I don't believe it either. Ever since I had problems with oil pressure, I have been using OEM, and have never looked back. Going on 2 years now and no problems (unless it's getting close to an oil change). From most of the more reputable sources (no offense to whoever said that about OEM=FRAM), they have had the same experience I have. I just sucks to pay close to $8 for a filter, but hey, I can spend my 20 minutes of my work money to buy a better filter.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 04:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was kidding. I have heard this somewhere, but I don't believe it either. Ever since I had problems with oil pressure, I have been using OEM, and have never looked back. Going on 2 years now and no problems (unless it's getting close to an oil change). From most of the more reputable sources (no offense to whoever said that about OEM=FRAM), they have had the same experience I have. I just sucks to pay close to $8 for a filter, but hey, I can spend my 20 minutes of my work money to buy a better filter.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>I never pay list but I still have god friends in the parts dept at all the dealerships I worked for.. **** at one they still put it under my employee number and I haven't worked there in like 4 years. I've never personally experienced the problem you had but that's because I only use the OE filters. I know for a fact that OE isn't FRAM but if someone out there is so sure it is then buy an OE filter and a FRAM and cut them open with a hack saw. You can tell there is a quality difference in the filter material.

The SiR II B16A is nice though, I bought one a few years back. As mentioned replace all the general maint. items you listed. Especially the water pump. EJK20R mentioned the valve adjustment which I feel is critical as well. And as someone else mentioned clutch is always a good idea.. Enjoy, it's a great engine..
Old 09-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I to am getting a b16 from hmo, nothing but good stuff coming from them. my buddy has ordered over 20 complete swaps(gsr,b16,ls,k20) from them and everyone of them has turned out great! to hmo!
Old 09-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before you guys make this into a oil filter thread, go look at your Honda filter at the bottom. It says Honeywell, which is a division of FRAM. Fram also makes most all the OE cabin filters. There are a few non-fram filters besides the s2000 filter floating around but for the most part they have all moved to a Fram filter. There is nothing wrong with a OE filter even if it is Fram.

Trust me I work for Honda and see this all day.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I never pay list but I still have god friends in the parts dept at all the dealerships I worked for.. **** at one they still put it under my employee number and I haven't worked there in like 4 years. I've never personally experienced the problem you had but that's because I only use the OE filters. I know for a fact that OE isn't FRAM but if someone out there is so sure it is then buy an OE filter and a FRAM and cut them open with a hack saw. You can tell there is a quality difference in the filter material.

The SiR II B16A is nice though, I bought one a few years back. As mentioned replace all the general maint. items you listed. Especially the water pump. EJK20R mentioned the valve adjustment which I feel is critical as well. And as someone else mentioned clutch is always a good idea.. Enjoy, it's a great engine..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I've had mine for 2 1/2 years. I am going to do another swap this winter. I have enjoyed it, but I need something with a lot more torque. You make it sound as if I just got the motor or something .

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 05:05 PM

Oh, I've had mine for 2 1/2 years. I am going to do another swap this winter. I have enjoyed it, but I need something with a lot more torque. You make it sound as if I just got the motor or something .

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah the torque seems to be a common complaint on the B16, I've even seen some idiots flame people for considering the B16 because of this. That's probably why I pushed mine when it needed a water pump. I was pretty pissed about throwing a rod but an LS-VTEC is in Desiree's very near future.. 1.8l should give me a nice bump in torque. But I was very happy with my B16 for the 3 years it lasted, didn't get it from HM so I can't personally vouch for them, but I have only heard good thing about them.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Before you guys make this into a oil filter thread, go look at your Honda filter at the bottom. It says Honeywell, which is a division of FRAM. Fram also makes most all the OE cabin filters. There are a few non-fram filters besides the s2000 filter floating around but for the most part they have all moved to a Fram filter. There is nothing wrong with a OE filter even if it is Fram.

Trust me I work for Honda and see this all day.</TD></TR></TABLE>Honeywell would manufacture the OE filters to Hondas spec with the materials they have selected. I'm sure FRAM has their own set of specs. Same manufacturer doesn't mean same filter. **** I'm sure Honeywell probably even makes a few more brands of filters. But just repainting a FRAM filter, doesn't happen and may even be illegal.

Quick Reply: A few B16A SiR II Questions